Thornes sale prices here

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And as far as I am concerned they provide good value for money

I don't think anyone has said differently? I am fairly sure I have not. I have eagerly awaited the Thorne sale just about every year I have kept bees.

I tend to think they are probably better value than first quality hives.

But my view of the 'sale' is that it is not quite the simple sale as many might associate with the word. Instead, I view it as a very good marketing ploy and a means of keeping the workforce employed without huge stockpiling of products. I have nothing against that at all. Maybe it is a shame they don't have a 'sale' all year round!

Regards, RAB

Maybe it is a shame they don't have a 'sale' all year round!

Yes, but then you'd lose all the pleasure of eagerly anticipating it........

I have eagerly awaited the Thorne sale just about every year I have kept bees.

Even the rugby scrum in the summer is exciting.......(as long as you take a mate to "look after the booty") :hat:

Frisbee

Delivered circa 1030h.

Not bad service, just a tad over 2 days from order time. Just need to check it over now. That will have to wait until later. Quick trip to wrong side of Nottingham now.

RAB

Delivered circa 1030h.

Not bad service, just a tad over 2 days from order time. Just need to check it over now. That will have to wait until later. Quick trip to wrong side of Nottingham now.

RAB

Has your sale order really been delivered already? WOW! I wrote in the additional comments box in the order for them to call me when they send it out so as I can make sure someone is in at home when they try to deliver. Does anyone know if thornes call as a matter of course when the order goes out?

No they dont call normally, not sure who they are using for delivery either (maybe royal mail) from memory.

Also no news on my 2 orders here.

Last edited:
A delivery a week or so ago was by DPD UK The logo with the box on it.

I almost missed the man because the door bell contacts were in need of a clean, but did notice that it was possible to organise a free redelivery which might have been a bit of a consolation if I hadn't actually realised that people in hi-vis jackets don't normally deliver pizza leaflets-door to-door.

Thats ok then if it is DPD as we can get it re-delivered. I think royal mail might be used for small stuff but I ordered a couple of hives worth of stuff so I'll probably get the courier. Thanks for the information.

Delivered circa 1030h.

RAB

Didnt think Thornes were sending orders out until next week?

From the email;
"The shop will also be closed until Wednesday 6th January. We will start to despatch orders from 6th January."

Plans can always change of course. :) Orders picked and carrier says, we have capacity, do you need us? Good opportunity to clear the floor for making up more orders. Maybe you were just lucky. Hope it extends to your honey crop in 2010. :)

mine arrived this afternoon as well, I am stunned to be perfectly honest. I wasn't expecting it for another fortnight :hurray:

lmao, did you both order a 'hive tool' each? i can see why they would be quick in that case

So, 'well done' to Thorne, for at least these early deliveries. And much keener than some prices from other suppliers, with regards frames and hive parts.

They obviously missed a trick or two? - the 14 x 12 broods have all gone? This has occurred in previous years too. Or some really big orders for these have gone through. I would not be surprised if that were the case.

They found a punter to pay twice the odds for a refractometer, too. Surely can't be anyone on this forum?

My small order (25kg it said) was only for a hundred or so quid. It was spot-on correct and well packaged, as usual.

I think they would have done better to have included the foundation in the global e-mail to all us previous customers (well nearly all of us!). Would not have altered my mind as I followed Hivemaker's recommendation and am awaiting arrival of that order (delayed until weather is just a tad less cold) but I would think that a lot would have already ordered elsewhere to save that extra 2 1/2 percent......

Regards, RAB

lmao, did you both order a 'hive tool' each? i can see why they would be quick in that case

not quite but I didn't oreder £4500 worth either.

a big box full of frames is all I ordered and considering my order was in at 09:07 on day 1, I presume mine was one of the first out of the door :)

. . .
My personal dislike is plastic gets brittle with time, with the edges exposed to the sunlight, this is the exact area you apply a hive tool.

Still, I expect my views will change dramatically by this time next year.
:cheers2:
An open mind, I like it. :) Adaptable to change.

Interesting comment about the plastic Queen Excluder getting brittle at the edges due to exposure to sunlight/UV.

How practical, or not to fold a length of metal air conditioning tape 2.5cm width over the edges to protect from UV exposure?

I noted a few years ago that our local council were painting rainwater PVC downpipes etc that had only recently been installed. When I enquired why they were painting the black PVC with black paint, I was told that the paint was sacrificial and would deteriorate instead of the plastic. Hmmmmm. I took his word for it but then the cost of the painter's time probably outweighed the cost of the components that he was protecting. :)

the painter's time probably outweighed the cost of the components

Yes, certainly, but that is not the whole story.

Simple really when a little analysis of the job costs is done. The true cost of the original downpipes etc would also include a substantial labour cost, as would further replacement. So need to look at the full-life costs, not just the components.

Hives are no different. Just compare cedar with cheaper softwood (which needs surface coating on a regular basis). Or polyhives which perhaps only need an initial surface coating and very little further maintenance. Or a plastic coolbox. They all have differing initial costs. You pays your money and takes your choice, as they say. Me? I look a little deeper.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back