The Weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A mere flurry here in the frozen.north .
Yesterday bees were flying .
VM

Just taken a good 3" of snow off my polytunnels, so as to give them an even's chance when the second wave comes in this evening.

Currently 3c and drizzle in S London.....the light dusting of snow this morning didn't last long.

Ever since they were so disastrously wrong about the 1987 hurricane, they have continually been warning of severe weather events which never happen....and not forecasting the ones that do, like the heavy snow in London the winter before last.

The bees aren't the only ones who haven't the sense to stay in the warm. There was a hedgehog wandering round my lawn last night.

The hedgehog is in trouble if its out at this time of year! Probably didn't put enough weight on before hibernating and now starving.
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snow in my part of Norwich but there might not be any up the road.
The BBC local news was funny. It was like "Snow Seach" None in Norwich this afternoon so they had to go out looking for some.

BBC News report.
"Police advise motorists not to go out unless their journey is essential."

Or they are BBC News teams who find the need to travel 55 miles from their office to stand in the middle of a dual carriageway to film snow on the grass.........there wasnt any on the road. No traffic hold ups. No accidents, and the other team went to Swafham to find some. Meanwhile back at the office in Norwich, it snowed.

Just taken a good 3" of snow off my polytunnels, so as to give them an even's chance when the second wave comes in this evening.

As at 1 a.m. Tuesday, the second wave never arrived - although according to Weatherweb, some snow is still forecast overnight ...

Just received Simon Keeling's interpretation of the Met Office's long range forecast for the UK (the M.O. only supply raw data these days, without comments) - through to the end of April: temperatures expected to be lower than normal during this period; precipitation normal, or ever-so-slightly less than normal.

LJ

What are you taking them to Norton ?

I', moving them to an area with Sinapis alba and Prasium majus but there are also many other small ground flora that are flowering. Temperatures are forecast to go up to 21C over the next few days.

The snow on the boot started to slide off during the night but then the temperature must have dropped and it got stuck.

Would like to know what somebody was doing there to leave those footprints.

Last edited:
Been nice and sunny today, quite mild, with a few bees out collecting pollen,no snow, but may be a slight frost tonight up over.

-5C last nite..
Cold and 1 C today
-8C forecast tonight..

Thermals and longjohns time

Bright sunshine all day but cold, no bees out today, possibility of a light dusting of snow on Friday, we will see. :sunning:

After seeing at least ten of eleven colonies with flying bees last week, checked the ones in the garden - two buzzing gently (stethoscope) and just one bee seen flying from (and back to) the polyNational; that is a strong colony. About f-freezing, with a good covering of snow, but sunny at times. Certainly nothing like the south west!

Some snow, some rain and at the end some freezing. And back again.. I will stop to watch weather forecast..

-6C AT 8am this morning and a light dusting of sleet/snow, then bright sunshine and 2c at 2pm this afternoon, woodpeckers very active in adjacent woodland, so those who need to should check their protection asap. chris

No overnight frost here, another nice sunny day.... some snow forecast for friday/sat, but don't usually get much at low levels.

Latest posts

Back