Taking supers off now??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew2000

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
I’m lucky enough that my bees are just filling their 5th super! However, for the weekly brood box inspections this means I have to take off 5 REALLY heavy supers before I can get to the brood.

I’m thinking of clearing he bees off and and taking off the top 2 supers. I have an extractor booked for early August so would need to wait until then and store the supers somewhere insect proof. Can anyone see a problem with this plan?

I’m lucky enough that my bees are just filling their 5th super! However, for the weekly brood box inspections this means I have to take off 5 REALLY heavy supers before I can get to the brood.

I’m thinking of clearing he bees off and and taking off the top 2 supers. I have an extractor booked for early August so would need to wait until then and store the supers somewhere insect proof. Can anyone see a problem with this plan?
I see a problem if they get stored and cool as they may need warming back up again for filtering..cool honey takes forever to go through a simple double strainer...from experience the supers are best extracted the same day or kept in a place around 30c obviously depending what is in the supers...although too late now but if Oil Seed Rape was in the forage range a definite no no..

With the temperatures down here in the South looking like they are going to stay warm for a week or two - you are not near the arctic circle like Millet .. the wind off the North sea would chill the warmest blood !

So, you could put them on a solid floor on a stand somewhere, solid crown board and a roof.. make sure that the bees can't get in to them or they will start a robbing frenzy. Might consider duct tape around the join between the supers. Don't leave them anywhere they are going to be in direct sunlight as any uncapped cells will liquify if they get too hot and honey will leak out of the bottom of the pile - messy and it will attract every sugar seeking insect in the neighbourhood.

You can always put them back on top of the hive if it does turn chilly .. but unlikely with current forecast down here.

If you have rape honey in them it's already crystallized ...

Thanks, I might do it then, I have a space indoors in the dark where I can seal it all up and keep the bugs away.

OSR is already off, they are busy bees!

I'm just leaving mine on.... just maybe 5 or 6 more time they are needed to be taken off then the seasons done and they will be extracted.

I did this last year ,stored them well sealed in my home for a couple of weeks and still got wax moth maggots in some of the combs as there were no bees to police them.Your profile says you have 2 hives,could you spread the supers between the 2 hives?

Now that might be a plan. My other hive was a split this year and has about half a super on it.

I assume I can just clear the supers and slot them on top?? Is there a chance that the bees might eat it?!!

Now that might be a plan. My other hive was a split this year and has about half a super on it.

I assume I can just clear the supers and slot them on top??

Is there a chance that the bees might eat it?!![/QUOTE

When I do it I just lean the supers to be moved against the hive they are from and smoke them a bit,most of the bees are back in the hive in 10 mins.I would just do maybe 2 supers and leave the others on but at least life will be a little easier.
Shouldn't be a problem at this time of year.

As Finny notes... nobody is telling you about the numbers problem - that needs
addressing in your Plan.
As to swarming?
Fit a QR - retail example attached - and do your vigilant frame shuffles as
required should your bees show sign after fitting.

Bill

Attachments

• QR_metal-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-1.jpg
    QR_metal-1-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 64
Where can I buy one of these QR things?
It sounds like the solution to ALL my beekeeping problems :D

It's OK ... I'm going to add them to my portfolio of useless but highly profitable beekeeping items manufactured in the U.K. and sold to gullible beekeepers who believe they work ... damn it ... just given you my marketing strategy and target market ! JBM will be after my market !

Where can I buy one of these QR things?
It sounds like the solution to ALL my beekeeping problems :D

Dani, there is a cheaper option, cut a size of wood the length of your entrance, block it all off and job done, you won't even lose bees to drifting :)

I extracted some supers on Sunday as I was running out of drawn frames and they were back on yesterday.

Last edited:
It's OK ... I'm going to add them to my portfolio of useless but highly profitable beekeeping items manufactured in the U.K. and sold to gullible beekeepers who believe they work ... damn it ... just given you my marketing strategy and target market ! JBM will be after my market !

You're a bit late, already negotiating the franchise, it will go well alongside my range of beotards and legwarmers for the bee gym brigade.
All I need to do now is find someone stupid and gullible enough to believe in it
There's obviously a market for it down under

Latest posts

Back