"Survivor bees" found in Blenheim Forest

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't agree more
I have to say that, as a total newbe to this forum I am really disappointed at the volume of off-topic and personal slagging off that takes place. It's totally offputting and I'm sure is keeping a lot of novice keepers from even asking questions. A few regulars here may actually know each other and their 'banter' may be otherwise good natured, but it doesn't read like that to the uninitiated. It reads as unmasked agression.
Posting an alternative view or additional information on a topic is not 'trolling' or belittling. But responding to someone's view with a slag-off retort about that person's outlook, background, previously discussed beliefs or ethics is not debate. The whole tone of some of these discussions is unnecessarily confrontational.
In my limited experiences on other forums and in actual meetings at shows and with the home association I have found fellow beekeepers to be really generous with sharing experiences and accepting that there are many, many ways to skin a beehive. Most of us (I would say 'ALL') are still learning. Climatic conditions are in flux. There are new disease threats in the wind. The experts are trialling all sorts of approaches to management of everything. Our scientific knowledge has advanced at startling speed in recent decades and even the last few years - and even with those advances of understanding the scientists will rarely give an absolute opinion; they know too much of how much there is still to understand.
I signed up on someone's recommendation. Upon signing up I was immediately 'invited' to pay a subscription. I'm afraid that the general tone of this forum is leading me to the conclusion that I won't be renewing that subscription next year - and I'm sorry I took out the year's option rather than the monthly one.
Bumbling Keeper: You are absolutely right, had some of the comments on this site been delivered in person, a smack in the mouth would have been the only reasonable response. Moderators should be sanctioning those wishing to close down legitimate discussion, no matter how naive or ill-informed it appears. We were all new beekeepers once and should not be discouraging others.

Bumbling Keeper: You are absolutely right, had some of the comments on this site been delivered in person, a smack in the mouth would have been the only reasonable response. Moderators should be sanctioning those wishing to close down legitimate discussion, no matter how naive or ill-informed it appears. We were all new beekeepers once and should not be discouraging others.

And the beginners should be encouraged in their stupidness?

• Haha
Reactions: mbc
Could you list these comments that require a smack in the mouth pls.

Moderators should be sanctioning those wishing to close down legitimate discussion, no matter how naive or ill-informed it appears. We were all new beekeepers once and should not be discouraging others.
So, pray, which responders have I failed to sanction?
Should I sanction you for advocating violence?

Last edited:
Blenheim Palace has 2 kind of bees. Those which live in tree hives and those which live in nursed boxes. ...

According to all natural laws that is impossible. Bees live on same area and they form their own mating swarm. So isolated on Palace yard.

This kind of text has been formulated on purpose. Works well. Winnie the Pooh story. But the story does not hurt anibody.

Last edited:
OK. I have been on this forum for several years now. Overall in that time it has improved tremendously. There was a time when beginners who, posted a question for the hundredth time ( eg how do you make strong syrup), would be told to use the search facility. Now they are patiently answered.
I agree that politeness is sometimes forgotten.
Everyone has the option of using the ignore button, not posting, not reading at all. However you will miss out on an awful lot of experience and valuable knowledge.
I have noticed an upsurge in new members in the last couple of years. All good. I have also noticed an increase in number of complaints about attitudes.
I think the degree of moderation here is just right, and my hat is off to them.
Each to their own.
This forum has not been as cranky as in previous winters when we all miss our bees

[
So, pray, which responders have I failed to sanction?
Should I sanction you for advocating violence?

It's just "naive and ill informed " action so allowable :eek:

Please folks stop with the vitriol. I’ve just deleted a post from a forum member who, likely emboldened by a couple of other similar posts, jumped on the “this forum is just awful” bandwagon.
I don’t want to close this thread but I will if attacks get more personal.
Thank you

Rather than personal attacks or gripes about the forum or mods, if any think the stick these articles are getting is unwarranted pls defend them or the content.

skepticism (edit: did no one get this or is it just not funny?)
Haha - love that. Didn't really look too closely - there's a lot of typos and foreign spelling around so things like this just go over my head these days

Got a lot of "likes" too, maybe pause for thought about what most forumers consider unpleasant.
Rules are pretty simple really, kick the ball not the player.
to make it plain, I don't feel that moderators should have to expend time and effort getting people to simply be courteous. I'm not criticising the moderators at all.
Whilst a few have stated how much experience and wisdom is to be found here, the most obnoxious in this thread weren't providing anything edifying. The article itself is pretty vague and there was one part of it which I feel is especially under-researched for the tone of 'absoluteness' that it put forward (re. competition between honey bees in general and other bee species). All I saw was the initial slagging off of Mr Salbany and then the ensuing kickabout. I didn't see anyone putting forward any actual information. The general tone has certainly put me off even relating experiences, let alone suggesting ideas for reasons or management. If I were to suggest something that someone else had better experience of I'd hope to be simply given the educated response, but this thread has shown that I'd be just as likely to be hauled over the coals for my ignorance. It's not encouraging.

Back