Sure fire sellers?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
Hi,

Does anyone have (and willing to share) any ideas as to what to sell on a honey stall that is sure to sell? We have been lucky enough to gain a table at our local Community Market - and want to sell related but different stuff. We can't though afford to pay out on ingredients that do not pay back.

We will have honey (obv.), beeswax bars, hopefully candles and polish - what easy stuff am I missing?

Thanks all - oh, and not sure if this should have been 'off-topic' - if so please move to new home...:D

You've probably covered the obvious ones I can think of other than buying a quantity of pollinator friendly wild flower seed and making small packets of it for sale.

Good idea. I gave some away at a Church Market last Nov., and they were really popular - so that may be a very good idea....Ta :)

Just a thought that popped into my head as I will also be running a stall in the near future!

Not things for selling, but you could get some leaflets from somewhere (maybe the Bumblebee Trust) that show the difference between honey bees and bumble bees.
Description and photos of what a swarm looks like and what to do.

Could you sell recipes?

Are you allowed to sell jam, chutney, cakes and/or biscuits?

Could you sell little packets of propolis along with a recipe for, oh I don't know, maybe propolis tincture for colds and sore throats?

Ignore all above if they seem too silly.

On a similar note to the seed idea, what about some bee friendly plants?

WOW..OK. I have checked...

Are you allowed to sell jam, chutney, cakes and/or biscuits? NO

Bee friendly plants? NO

Honey Fudge? YES

Propolis etc? YES, but I think I need to do a bit of research first...

Recipes? Not really, I usually hand out a sheet with a few on. I could though spend the winter testing and have a booklet for next year...

I am actually doing a bee product-based cosmetics course at Buckfast next month, so may get ideas for the next one from there...Thanks all. I will also look into the swarm/bumblebee/honey bee leaflet idea. Although I do have a backdrop with that sort of thing on too. The picture is of my stall at the Church Christmas Market last November

Last edited:
Someone recently gave me some honeycomb as they called it just like the crunchy bar and it was a OMG moment just lovely but no good if you have loose fillings as it would perhaps pull them out. It will work well if you have any unripe honey .

Local community market and no jam :banghead:

Do you have a recipe for the honey comb stuff?

You've probably covered the obvious ones I can think of other than buying a quantity of pollinator friendly wild flower seed and making small packets of it for sale.

You need a licence to sell seeds I think.
Plants are fine though afaik.

Do you have a recipe for the honey comb stuff?

No Veg but I can always ask will get back to you if I get it.

If my memory serves me right they mentioned you add bicarbonate of soda and that causes it to all bubble up

I used to help some friends sell mead on a stall. The secret is to give lots of free samples. We used to sell about £1,500 in a day. (£7 per bottle).

Seriously: I used to have a patter that compared the various meads... can you taste how that one is more refreshing, sweeter, whatever. The taster would agree. Paint pictures... imagine having a luxurious candle-lit evening with the lovely sweet mead and some expensive chocolate. Then after the patter ask WHICH one they wanted to buy (not whether they wanted to buy some). Nearly everyone tasted and nearly everyone bought. ;-) There... just spilt more of my secrets. Another secret is not to try any yourself or you will be on the floor by the end of the day.

I can't sell jam as someone already does so - same with plants...do I need a license to sell mead?? Oh, I'd also need a year to make the mead and make sure it was drinkable too...I really want to make it - but don't want to start until we have moved (if we ever sell that is...)...

Honeycomb...mmm I made it years ago for the kids - they were high for days :( This should be in recipes, but as we are talking about it here...I take it golden syrup changes for honey??

Ingredients
1tbsp vegetable oil, for oiling baking tray

80g/3oz butter

160g/5½oz caster sugar

80g/3oz golden syrup

2 tsp bicarbonate of soda

Preparation method
1.Grease a 20cm/8in square baking tin with vegetable oil.

2.Gently heat the butter, sugar and golden syrup in a large heavy-based pan until the sugar has dissolved. Turn up the heat and boil rapidly, without stirring. If the mixture goes darker at one side of the mix, then gently swirl the pan to mix it all together. Keep boiling until the mixture goes a golden-brown colour – this will take about 5 minutes.

3.Add the bicarbonate of soda and stir it for a few seconds, which will make the mixture expand and fizz (take care, the mixture will expand a lot). Tip the honeycomb into the oiled baking tin and leave until cold and set.

4.To serve, cut the honeycomb into pieces and stir into ice creams or decorate puddings. You can put the honeycomb in a food processor and sprinkle it over desserts.

Last edited:
Last weekend at the Chepstow Show our best seller was our Lemongrass, Beeswax, & Argan Oil Foot Balm - guaranteed to soften those dry and cracked feet, honey was okay too.

Honey Marmalade and little wax blocks sold well at a recent fair...

Can do but as it's for external use it needs to be tested and cert'd okay.So not much use to you at the mo, sorry.

Hi,

Does anyone have (and willing to share) any ideas as to what to sell on a honey stall that is sure to sell? We have been lucky enough to gain a table at our local Community Market - and want to sell related but different stuff. We can't though afford to pay out on ingredients that do not pay back.

We will have honey (obv.), beeswax bars, hopefully candles and polish - what easy stuff am I missing?

Thanks all - oh, and not sure if this should have been 'off-topic' - if so please move to new home...:D

Do what I did recently.....charged 50p per slice of bread with honey on, I cheekily marketed it as the food of the gods.....and made over £30, and only used 2 pots of honey....which worked out at a profit of £8.75 a jar, after costs, and I also sold loads of full price jars as a result......go for added value !, or use it to draw people in with samples of a 1/4 squareof bread and honey.

Latest posts

Back