Sugar syrup solution

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve_e

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I captured a swarm into a nuc last week, and put some sugar syrup in for them. They've woofed it all down and the frames are still thin in terms of stores. With this unpredictable weather I think they're consuming as fast as they're bringing it in, so I'm going to give them some more.

But should I give them a weak spring solution (2lbs per 2 pints) or a thicker autumn style solution (2lbs per 1 pint) as they probably could do with the food? Or somewhere in between?

They will make use of the syrup whichever mix you use.

Ok thanks veg. They got the thicker variety then. Despite not being at all pleased to see me...

Normally the feed strength in summer is one to one, and for autumn feeding two to one.

I have checked a number of colonies today of various strengths and configurations and not a one required feed.

PH

Normally the feed strength in summer is one to one, and for autumn feeding two to one.

I have checked a number of colonies today of various strengths and configurations and not a one required feed.

PH

One pint to one pound then or two pints to one pound? For the benefit of beginners this really ought to be made clearer. Please - not all of us are experts!!!

One pint to one pound then or two pints to one pound? For the benefit of beginners this really ought to be made clearer. Please - not all of us are experts!!!

Summer feed one to one...... Kg to litre or pint to pound
Winter feed two to one..........2 kg to 1 litre or 2 pounds to one pint

Thick feed for storing
Thin feed for building wax and using

Hope this is clearer
E

Thanks Enrico, that's useful and now pasted into my notes program.

They got the thick in the end (before I read your post) as it seemed to me they were on the verge of starving - the weather has been horrible down here since more or less the day I captured them.

So I figured the highest density of sugar was what they required, despite normal spring and summer feed being the thin solution.

They are hoovering it up enthusiastically though - put it in mid afternoon yesterday and it's half gone this morning, so I think they needed something!

2lbs per 1 pint

This isn't 2:1. :)

A pound weighs 16 ounces, a pint weighs 20 ounces ("A pint of water weighs a pound and a quarter").

If you need to be really accurate it's probably best to use metric measures, which are equivalent.

PH

Agreed, established colonies should be fine, but I've picked up a couple of swarms recently and I recon with the weather we've had they would be dead if they hadn't had some syrup to help them along. It's been either raining, cold, windy or all three.

Agreed, established colonies should be fine, but I've picked up a couple of swarms recently and I recon with the weather we've had they would be dead if they hadn't had some syrup to help them along. It's been either raining, cold, windy or all three.

Thick syrup will give them the most sugar in one fill of your feeder, which may be a good thing if you can't check & refill often enough.
Thin syrup would be more conventional for wax-drawing, but right now, I seriously doubt that they are likely to have any shortage of water!
You don't really want them storing syrup though, so monitor and don't overdo the feeding.

When the "experts" have finished picking....

I said deliberately two to one and one to one. That allows for metric and imperial measures, and complete accuracy is not required.

These are standard ratios to be found in every book on bees there are as far as I know from 1900's on.

PH

Latest posts

Back