How much thymol stock solution to add to syrup

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have made some thymol stock solution to prevent mould forming in the home made syrup solution that I am feeding the bees. I am confused as to how much/little of thymol that I need to add.

The NBU website says 2.5ml thymol stock solution to 4.5l of sugar syrup, however Hivemakers recipe says to add 5ml per gallon. Assuming that Hivemaker is using UK gallons, which equates to 4.5l, that is double the concentration of the NBU.

I make up 1kg sugar to 630ml water, which fills two thirds of a 2l round feeder. Therefore, would 1ml be about right?

Thanks,
Emily

Last edited:
To help with Nosema.
add up to five ml per gallon (4.55 Ltrs.) of 1:1syrup.

To simply stop fermentation of 1:1 syrup - 5ml per 3 gallons.(13.64 Ltrs.)
1.25ml to 2.25 ltr : 2.25ml to 4.5ltr

I have made some thymol stock solution to prevent mould forming in the home made syrup solution that I am feeding the bees. I am confused as to how much/little of thymol that I need to add.

The NBU website says 2.5ml thymol stock solution to 4.5l of sugar syrup, however Hivemakers recipe says to add 5ml per gallon. Assuming that Hivemaker is using UK gallons, which equates to 4.5l, that is double the concentration of the NBU.

I make up 1kg sugar to 630ml water, which fills two thirds of a 2l round feeder. Therefore, would 1ml be about right?

Thanks,
Emily
2.5 ml per gallon is for mould 5ml per gallon is for nosema - whether it's 1:1 or 2:1 in both cases

Latest posts

Back