Thymol

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to get some thymol to put into my 1:1 syrup as it is going mouldy. It appears to be readily available on the internet. Should I be using a particular concentration, brand etc? Or is it all the same? Should I be using the ready made oil or crystals as suggested on the Dave Cushman website?

How much do you add to the syrup?

Thanks.
I thought you only had a couple of hives?
If it's not a commercial enterprise, had you considered leaving enough honey for the bees and not feeding at all? :)

I thought you only had a couple of hives?
If it's not a commercial enterprise, had you considered leaving enough honey for the bees and not feeding at all? :)
Emily has had a very challenging year, losing bees to CBPV through absolutely no fault of her own. The whole sad tale has been discussed on this forum already at great length.She has been rescued by the kind donation of a nuc from a forum member. Her hives will need feeding.

Emily has had a very challenging year, losing bees to CBPV through absolutely no fault of her own. The whole sad tale has been discussed on this forum already at great length.She has been rescued by the kind donation of a nuc from a forum member. Her hives will need feeding.
Thanks Dani.

Emily, there is a link in here that I use. I use crystals, and dilute them with alcohol, and add an emulsifier so it doesn’t separate out from the syrup. It does keep for at least two years! I’ve always bought my thymol crystals from a supplier near us, but I think you can use any.
Good luck with your bees.

Bridget

“Look in the stickies section, there are two recipes for thymol mixes and advice on their application

Why use thymol when half or one teaspoonful of vinegar in 2 litres will stop any mould forming? The bees like it too. I keep my syrup like this for ages without going mouldy.
For me, one advantage of using thymol, particularly in winter feeding, is the additional benefit the bees get against nosema. I only feed syrup when there are no supers on, and only with thymol going into winter. In the spring, once the bees are safe from starvation (and just before the supers go on), I can take out any excess brood frames of stores, spin them out and give the bees back empty comb ready for a nice boom in brood. The syrup/honey from the brood box gets put aside just for use in feeding bees.
I know the bees could move the thymol around, but I don't think it's a great risk when I do things this way, and I certainly haven't noticed any taint in my honey.

Thanks Dani.
Apologies if I have caused offence! None was intended. It was a genuine question. I'm not a moderator and don't read every thread, let alone every post.
I was aware of some of your troubles. It wasn't clear from the thread why you were feeding.
It's not long before the threads begin about people needing to feed having removed all the honey.
I was just posing a question and an alternative, by all means, feed away. :)

That’s ok. It’s tricky following all the ins and outs on here! I’m feeding a young colony to help them build brood comb. I’ve temporarily run out of invert so needed to use syrup instead. I have read on here and in books that thymol can be added to prevent problems. What I didn’t know was whether I used crystals or oil.

Latest posts

Back