Thymol

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I need to get some thymol to put into my 1:1 syrup as it is going mouldy. It appears to be readily available on the internet. Should I be using a particular concentration, brand etc? Or is it all the same? Should I be using the ready made oil or crystals as suggested on the Dave Cushman website?

How much do you add to the syrup?

Thanks.

I need to get some thymol to put into my 1:1 syrup as it is going mouldy. It appears to be readily available on the internet. Should I be using a particular concentration, brand etc? Or is it all the same? Should I be using the ready made oil or crystals as suggested on the Dave Cushman website?

How much do you add to the syrup?

Thanks.

I've bought mine from Thornes in the past (playing safe) although you might find it cheaper elsewhere:

https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1654
There is a sticky with Hivemakers recipes on here...

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/threads/what-to-do-about-nosema.702/page-3#post-49691

Thanks Pargyle and JBM. No sign of poor bee health, but syrup is going mouldy and I don’t want any problems.

Thanks both. No sign of poor bee health, but syrup is going mouldy and I don’t want any problems.

I've stopped using syrup for autumn feeding and have started buying Invertbee - not had a problem with it going mouldy at all. If your syrup is going mouldy perhaps you have had it on the hive too long ? Even without thymol it appears to be fine .. I left a feeder on a nuc last winter (by accident) until December .. (bad beekeeping I know ... nobody is perfect !) and the Invert was still fine.

https://www.simonthebeekeeper.co.uk/hive-care-feeding/10541-invertbee-syrup-14kg-10l.html
There will be people along soon to tell you where to buy it cheaper ... but I think it works better (and certainly is more convenient) than mixing up sugar at 2:1.

I've stopped using syrup for autumn feeding and have started buying Invertbee - not had a problem with it going mouldy at all. If your syrup is going mouldy perhaps you have had it on the hive too long ? Even without thymol it appears to be fine .. I left a feeder on a nuc last winter (by accident) until December .. (bad beekeeping I know ... nobody is perfect !) and the Invert was still fine.

https://www.simonthebeekeeper.co.uk/hive-care-feeding/10541-invertbee-syrup-14kg-10l.html
There will be people along soon to tell you where to buy it cheaper ... but I think it works better (and certainly is more convenient) than mixing up sugar at 2:1.

Thanks. I normally use Invert, but have run out. Normally get it through the teaching apiary to save on p&p. I didn’t have any problems with it over the winter. The syrup was only on a few days. Think the hot weather hasn’t helped.

No bee in my Apiary ever gets anything but strong syrup or Invertbee. Never bother with 1:1 for anything.
Large saucepan, three quarters fill with white sugar. Add hot water to the same level. Mix. Turn on heat a little if needed. Done. Never goes mouldy no weighing or measuring.

I'm finding the bees scoff any sugar I give them so quickly, (they're building comb), that chance of mould would be a fine thing. ;) I would rather keep regular top-ups to monitor consumption and keep the level low. When I had the feeder full there were a few drownings, which I don't like to see. I've read that thymol odour can hang around for ages in the comb and seen recommendations that keeping feeders sterile will avoid mould. However I doubt that is a complete solution. Anyway..I don't fancy thymol in our honey. :)

I don't like sugar in mine either

I'm sure I won't either. :) Being new to this I don't expect to get even a drop of honey (with or without sugar) for myself until well into next season. By then I hope that any stored sugar will be used up and that next year, the bees will find enough natural food to manage without feeding.. But I assume they will still be making use of the comb manufactured now and might that be tainted by thymol?

Why use thymol when half or one teaspoonful of vinegar in 2 litres will stop any mould forming? The bees like it too. I keep my syrup like this for ages without going mouldy.

I have found through experience that bees will not take down syrup that is tainted by mould so throw it out and make some fresh. Dave Cushman website contains sound advice on application of thymol to syrup. autumn feeding containing thymol will not taint honey in following spring but if you treat varroa with strips containing thymol in autumn don't forget to remove them after the allotted timeotherwise your spring honey will definitely be tainted.

I have found through experience that bees will not take down syrup that is tainted by mould so throw it out and make some fresh. Dave Cushman website contains sound advice on application of thymol to syrup. autumn feeding containing thymol will not taint honey in following spring but if you treat varroa with strips containing thymol in autumn don't forget to remove them after the allotted timeotherwise your spring honey will definitely be tainted.
Look in the stickies section, there are two recipes for thymol mixes and advice on their application

But it seems odd - how would the bees avoid introducing a taint.
Lots of beekeepers use thymol in their syrup for winter feed. I’m sure some will get into honey if they are not careful. As for tainting the wax, well you don’t take honey from brood frames and you don’t feed thymol syrup or any syrup to get the bees to draw a super.

Latest posts

Back