Thymol Syrup Uses

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunzo

New Bee
Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve read loads of articles on different uses of thymol in syrup and cannot satisfy Myself i have an exact answer. I’ve made The emulsified version ready but would appreciate If someone was able to confirm if I am right in saying the below.

For treating Nosema (unofficially) - 5ml of Emulsified thymol added to 4.5ltr of syrup
Preventing mould in syrup - 5mls Emulsified thymol added to 13.5ltr of syrup

Is this correct

To prevent mould in syrup use 1ml of premix to 1 litre of syrup.
To treat an infection 5ml per litre sprayed on the bees on the frames.

Hi,

I’ve read loads of articles on different uses of thymol in syrup and cannot satisfy Myself i have an exact answer. I’ve made The emulsified version ready but would appreciate If someone was able to confirm if I am right in saying the below.

For treating Nosema (unofficially) - 5ml of Emulsified thymol added to 4.5ltr of syrup
Preventing mould in syrup - 5mls Emulsified thymol added to 13.5ltr of syrup

Is this correct

5ml per gallon for treatment
2.5ml per gallon to prevent mould

Why do we differ?
I checked The sticky and looked up Tom Bick’s old thread
I wonder what anybody else uses?
I put thymol in my winter invert but I have had to actually treat nosema only once with a spray and I used 5mls per litre. Bees survived.

Is it...there’s a couple of European papers out there with test results I’ve seen over the years.

yes, I've read them, also read HM's whole post when he actually says that the quantities don't have to be bang on. He sometimes doubled the dose with no harm to the bees.

Latest posts

Back