Would you re-use comb from a deceased colony?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Today I confirmed my suspicions of a dead colony. It had Apilifevar in August, thymolated syrup in September and Oxalic acid via Varrox at New Year (roar heard = live bees). It was queen-right in October but in December microscopy of copious dead bees on the OMF showed a high Nosema count. Further OMF checks in January showed continuing dead bees++. Today I found clustered dead bees centrally on the comb. There were ample sealed stores in the adjacent combs. There were two open queen cells.
Q1:Was this a late attempt to replace a dead queen or a late attempted supercedure? If the colony became queenless in late autumn would I expect the remaining bees to have died? Maybe the Nosema got them?
Q2: The combs are fairly new and packed with stores. I have applied acetic acid on pads above and below and closed the entrance. Would you re-use the combs?
Strangely or otherwise the adjacent colony has followed the same course with Nosema++ but live bees seen through the CB today. Other hives seem OK

... I have applied acetic acid on pads above and below and closed the entrance. Would you re-use the combs?

That sounds like you are fumigating the hive as-is.

Which ain't the right way. (Especially if you have an OMF.)

There's a Beebase download that explains how it should be done. (Removing any metal bits like rails, and sealing the whole stack as well as possible, potentially using tape.)

After proper fumigation, the combs should be clear of Nosema.
However, I'm not sure that I'd go that way myself, unless I really needed some drawn comb urgently. I'd likely just melt them down.

Surely if you do not know how they died without testing you shouldnt risk using the frames in another hive? I would keep the honey & melt down the wax to use, its not worth the risk i dont think.

That sounds like you are fumigating the hive as-is.

Which ain't the right way. (Especially if you have an OMF.)

There's a Beebase download that explains how it should be done. (Removing any metal bits like rails, and sealing the whole stack as well as possible, potentially using tape.)

After proper fumigation, the combs should be clear of Nosema.
However, I'm not sure that I'd go that way myself, unless I really needed some drawn comb urgently. I'd likely just melt them down.

Yes, I realise I have not sealed the hive. I inserted a varroa board to reduce loss through the OMF. I wonder how much therapeutic effect I am losing? My thinking is that fumes leaking through various cracks might bonk nasties lurking there.

Back