How long to leave a hive to re-queen itself?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Otbed

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'd be grateful for some advice please from you much more experienced beekeepers.

I have a hive in which I found the Queen dead on the OMF during an inspection. During the inspection I'd already found 3 charged open QC's but no eggs but there were some very tiny larvae. The week before (exactly 7 days) everything was normal (ie eggs/larvae/sealed brood and an active Queen caught laying an egg!) so I assume she'd been laying after the previous inspection but had died suddenly (because of the very tiny larvae present). On 7th May I left the hive with one good looking sealed QC, and no more eggs/larvae, and left them alone to re-Queen themselves until today (4 weeks 3 days). The hive is today still without eggs/larvae and I didn't see a queen but there are still a large number of bees present over all the frames. I also noticed that the bees have stopped working in the super and have essentially stuffed all brood frames with lots of stores - I removed 2 very old frames and replaced them with foundation principally to give them something to work on should a new Queen need space to lay.

My question is how long really should I wait before just buying and introducing a Queen? I'm aware of the danger of doing this if there is actually a Queen already present and I have used a forum search and hoisted in the advice to wait 4/5 weeks to see evidence of a new Queen, but I'm worried about the reduction from now on in colony size. I don't want the population to fall off the cliff edge.
Thank you.

I'd be grateful for some advice please from you much more experienced beekeepers.

I have a hive in which I found the Queen dead on the OMF during an inspection. During the inspection I'd already found 3 charged open QC's but no eggs but there were some very tiny larvae. The week before (exactly 7 days) everything was normal (ie eggs/larvae/sealed brood and an active Queen caught laying an egg!) so I assume she'd been laying after the previous inspection but had died suddenly (because of the very tiny larvae present). On 7th May I left the hive with one good looking sealed QC, and no more eggs/larvae, and left them alone to re-Queen themselves until today (4 weeks 3 days). The hive is today still without eggs/larvae and I didn't see a queen but there are still a large number of bees present over all the frames. I also noticed that the bees have stopped working in the super and have essentially stuffed all brood frames with lots of stores - I removed 2 very old frames and replaced them with foundation principally to give them something to work on should a new Queen need space to lay.

My question is how long really should I wait before just buying and introducing a Queen? I'm aware of the danger of doing this if there is actually a Queen already present and I have used a forum search and hoisted in the advice to wait 4/5 weeks to see evidence of a new Queen, but I'm worried about the reduction from now on in colony size. I don't want the population to fall off the cliff edge.
Thank you.
The time taken depends on the weather to a large extent - if it is very good it can be faster but 4-5 weeks is in the normal range. Also when a new queen starts laying it can be in quite small patches so can be difficult to spot. If you can get hold of a frame of BIAS and add it in you will see if queenless and if not the young emerging bees will speed up the laying of the new queen

I made a colony quenless on May 9th and introduced a frame of bias Saturday as I couldn't see a queen or eggs. I looked yesterday and to my surprise no Qcs were made on the frame. However, the adjacent frame was full of eggs and sure enough, I spotted the new queen. Sometimes a frame of bias will kick them into action. Try it to see what is what.

Thanks for the replies. Yes the QC did emerge, it's clear to see the cut open base. Based on your advice I will leave it another week or so (the colony is still strong) since the weather has been hit and miss a bit lately and then check with a frame of bias from another colony I've just moved into a hive from a nuc box. They have expanded rapidly so should be strong enough to lose a frame. Frame size is wrong, the queenless colony being 14*12 and the new one national but I guess the bees will just add comb to the national frame if it's left in.
Thanks for the replies, I'll stop worrying and hope there is a new Queen next week. If not I know what to do. Thanks.

And to wrap this up and thank you again for your advice, with bated breath I opened them again today - and could hardly believe it when I started seeing eggs and loads of young larvae over 3 frames. Phew!! I didn't see the new queen but the very chilled reception from the bees told me all's well so I had just a quick check through and left them to it. I'll catch her next week hopefully, yellow marker in hand! Nearly 6 weeks from leaving the sealed QC!

It always pays to be patient, I just found a nuc fully laid up with eggs but it was 7 weeks from the day I made the split, of the other 6 that I made on the same day 4 started laying 3 weeks ago and 2 started laying 2 weeks ago, so I had nearly given up.

Latest posts

Back