Stc 1000

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you know the supply voltage, and you know the stated amperage capacity of the device, and you know how to multiply the two together...

Watts = Amps x Volts

Gives a theoretical number which doesn't account for poor quality components. And which should be derated anyway.

Since people have stated that the relay contacts are prone to failure, I would run it through a contactor.

if you know the supply voltage, and you know the stated amperage capacity of the device, and you know how to multiply the two together...

Watts = Amps x Volts

Gives a theoretical number which doesn't account for poor quality components. And which should be derated anyway.

Since people have stated that the relay contacts are prone to failure, I would run it through a contactor.

Heavy duty cycle switching relays designed to cope with the spark / arc created as the relay open are available... energised by 12 V in the integral relay however one of the problems with the 10A switching relays in the ST100 is that if energised for long periods the coil overheats... fossibly a coolong fan could be utilised.

I am now using an industrial quality thermostat supplied to me by a friend who works in the refrigeration business as I would not want to loose valuable queens in the incubator due to a hobby product.

The Apimelter works just fine.. but then it is monitored when in use as they have been known to catch fire!!!.

Heavy duty cycle switching relays designed to cope with the spark / arc created as the relay open are available... energised by 12 V in the integral relay however one of the problems with the 10A switching relays in the ST100 is that if energised for long periods the coil overheats... fossibly a coolong fan could be utilised.

I am now using an industrial quality thermostat supplied to me by a friend who works in the refrigeration business as I would not want to loose valuable queens in the incubator due to a hobby product.

The Apimelter works just fine.. but then it is monitored when in use as they have been known to catch fire!!!.

:thanks:

I did a test run today with a 100watt light bulb and it worked a treat, nothing blew up or caused mass deaths from blazing fires in the North East, i have two 45watt tubes on order to replace the bulb, after that and when i tidy those safe wires up it will be good to go. 24 quid it has cost me so i won't grumble..:rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_4126.JPG
    IMG_4126.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_4127.JPG
    IMG_4127.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 30
One tube is sufficient...
Take the glass shelf out replace with couple of wood struts
Wiring looks messy

You are a real prat aren't you. Perhaps real troll would be more accurate.
Encourage don't disparage.

Spoonfeeding DIY electrics to unqualified and frankly incompetent people is not 'encouragement'.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Secondly, I have given valuable and important information three times in this thread.

1. To correct another poster who said that
There is no ‘positive and negative’. These devices are mains operated.

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=632675&postcount=9

In fact, 12v versions exist. As per... https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/12v-stc-1000.33675/

and as I clarified here...

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=632724&postcount=18

Important for anyone reading the thread, who may be considering a purchase.

2. In response to this query... https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=633063&postcount=40

Ohms law is GCSE Stuff, yes ? As per... https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=633096&postcount=42

Contactor hint thrown in as well.

3. If you have >1 heater tubes, then 'Series or Parallel' is an obvious consideration.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A person who can't, or isn't willing to research and think this through, should just put away the screwdriver. As you said yourself, it isn't rocket science. But it isn't for idiots either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, do everyone a favour and take your own advice...

https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=631881&postcount=19

Last edited:
One tube is sufficient...
Take the glass shelf out replace with couple of wood struts
Wiring looks messy
No...and the wiring does not look messy when the door is shut.

If anyone else has any more pointless negative digs at me don't bother as i do not listen to or follow advice from cranks.

No...and the wiring does not look messy when the door is shut.

If anyone else has any more pointless negative digs at me don't bother as i do not listen to or follow advice from cranks.

You don't take advice full stop ...

The suggestion to replace the glass with wooden slats is a good one... put the heater in the bottom of the fridge and the glass shelf will prevent the heat percolating round the fridge ... wooden slats are a much better option.

In addition .. even if you can't see messy wiring it's really good practice to have it clipped or even better in conduit ...

The other thing that helps is a fan to circulate the air .. a computer fan is adequate but you wll need to transform the voltage - takes hardly any current but it makes a big difference.

You should listen to good advice when it's offered. Why bother starting a thread to ask for assistance if you then discard and disparage the advice that is offered.

Last edited:
I think you missed the plot there P. If the door is shut you can't see the wiring...ergo it doesn't look messy :)

If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and walks like a duck - it probably IS a duck... ergo .. if it looks messy when you CAN see it - it probably IS messy !

I think you might have missed the point that was being made ...

An electrician would not leave live wires like that ... I have no issue doing electrics myself - I've got my 17th edition .. the point was being made to try and save Millet from either electrocuting himself or setting fire to his premises.

Not so long ago a fridge fire killed 71 people in Grenfell Tower ... disrepect electricity at your peril.

You don't take advice full stop ...

As i said above i don't listen to or take advice from cranks, however my ears are well open to advice from good people, people trying to belittle me get treated like some thing smelly i have stood on while walking the pooch.

As i said above i don't listen to or take advice from cranks, however my ears are well open to advice from good people, people trying to belittle me get treated like some thing smelly i have stood on while walking the pooch.

Some of the best advice I've ever been given was delivered by people with the bedside manner of Ghengis Khan .. just because you don't like the messenger should not affect your ability to take on board good advice.

You need to sort out in your mind those that are just belittling you and those that are trying to help you ... you might live longer as a result.

You need to sort out in your mind those that are just belittling you and those that are trying to help you ... you might live longer as a result.
I have been an advanced scaffolder for the past 35yrs which i do part time these days and i have more chance of falling to my death than i would from getting a little electric shock.

I have been an advanced scaffolder for the past 35yrs which i do part time these days and i have more chance of falling to my death than i would from getting a little electric shock.

Well Darwinian law will make itself known in the end ...

If you have been a scaffolder for that long you will have noticed that the health and safety requirements for on-site commercial scaffolding have become so much more intense over the last 30 years (I too was in construction) -mainly because people kept falling to their deaths. The deaths from falling from height in construction have reduced yearly over the same period as people were forced to take safety precautions.

The same has happened with the enforced regulations regarding electricity.

I'm never one for wrapping people in cotton wool - common sense should tell you when you are at risk and you have a personal responsibility to look after yourself .. a 'little' electrical shock with 220/240 volts and a 13 amp circuit CAN kill you and BURN you .. if you are lucky you will get away with it. I've seen a qualified electrician burn half his body because he 'thought' he would be OK to 'just' keep away from a live phase wire .... when it should have been isolated ... until he dropped his screwdriver which hit the wire, moved it and the wire used him as its escape to earth ... Not pretty. He lived - but with third degree burns to his chest, arm, shoulder and face .. OK it was 440 volts but ..

Do you feel lucky ? In the immortal words of Dirty Harry ...

Last edited:
and who are you to decide if someone is "frankly incompetent" ?

Here is the finished product N ..wired parallel of coarse :spy:.. it will not warm up though ??? ..i plugged the fridge in and then plugged the STC1000 in all i get is the fridge buzzing away and neither fridge nor thermostat will reach there temperature..where have i gone wrong ? . i was so confident my contraption would work..:xmas-smiley-010:

Attachments

• IMG_4131.JPG
    IMG_4131.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 32

Latest posts

Back