Misinformation -- again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShinySideUp

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
None, ex-beekeeper
I skipped thorugh the tv this afternoon and found a segment on a program on BBC1 called The Farmers COuntry Showdown. The bit I saw showed a beekeeper going through a hive and shaking bees off a frame claiming that he would take that frame and one other away and extract the honey from it. Now the guy obviously knew how to handle bees but I wonder if the production staff told him what to say because no beekeeper would take two frames form the middle of a 14 x 12 brood box, shake the bees off and then take it away to extract the honey. The two frames he took out had an arc of honey with egg and brood chambers in the middle!

There might be a lot of shite on Youtube regarding beekeeping but I have now seen two programs about honey and bees on the BBC that are positively laughable.

Makes you wonder about the veracity of programs about which I know nothing, am I being fed bollocks all the time for the sake of a 'good' program?

EDIT. A quick relook shows they are not 14 x 12's but they do have brood areas. If you want to see it the piece I am talking about is at 20 minutes and 30 seconds on Farmers Country Showdown on BBC iPlayer.

Last edited:
What you saw was classic media.

If you actually know about a topic then what you know and what the media portray are like train tracks, they never meet.

So given that what other rubbish does the media feed us I have to wonder?

PH

It was to explain the process to the public. The frames they showed him extracting were well capped. However I liked the comment from the stall seller about the “novelty of having the MD on the market stall” selling.
Program was alright from a lay persons view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In the Bond films if the villain just shot Bond in the head first chance he got the job would be done. He doesn't because of narrative.

I skipped thorugh the tv this afternoon and found a segment on a program on BBC1 called The Farmers COuntry Showdown. The bit I saw showed a beekeeper going through a hive and shaking bees off a frame claiming that he would take that frame and one other away and extract the honey from it. Now the guy obviously knew how to handle bees but I wonder if the production staff told him what to say because no beekeeper would take two frames form the middle of a 14 x 12 brood box, shake the bees off and then take it away to extract the honey. The two frames he took out had an arc of honey with egg and brood chambers in the middle!

There might be a lot of shite on Youtube regarding beekeeping but I have now seen two programs about honey and bees on the BBC that are positively laughable.

Makes you wonder about the veracity of programs about which I know nothing, am I being fed bollocks all the time for the sake of a 'good' program?

EDIT. A quick relook shows they are not 14 x 12's but they do have brood areas. If you want to see it the piece I am talking about is at 20 minutes and 30 seconds on Farmers Country Showdown on BBC iPlayer.

You are quite right. The frames were not full of honey.

It was just for show really but it makes better viewing shaking the bees off and saying he'll extract the honey. Probably had no full combs at the time of filming.

What you saw was classic media.

If you actually know about a topic then what you know and what the media portray are like train tracks, they never meet.

So given that what other rubbish does the media feed us I have to wonder?

PH

:iagree:
Tis called "Entertainment"

250 colonies all over London.. hopes to expand... 60 staff... all extracted with a small spinner and a hand fork.... was this the same company advertising for bulk honey on this very forum some time ago.... and the MD was one of the Canary Warfe quick to riches brigade..... as they say if you want to make a fortune from beekeeping... start with a big one!

Yeghes da

I agree, good program on the whole

Even with a bit of poetic licence, I thought it wa an interesting program. I couldn’t quite grasp how he can employ 60 people with 200 hives but hey ho, best of luck to him if he can
S

PS thought his kids comments about not touching bees bums was great

Even with a bit of poetic licence, I thought it wa an interesting program. I couldn’t quite grasp how he can employ 60 people with 200 hives but hey ho, best of luck to him if he can
S

PS thought his kids comments about not touching bees bums was great
I thought he said 250 hives and the narrator said 30 staff, but hey ho it is TV for the general Public not for folk with a masters degree in beekeeping, if a program was to be done for Master beekeepers how long would we have to sit in front of the TV, most folk who have a rough idea about bee keeping should realize that and i bet the Original poster would learn quite a lot if he talked to this guy face to face..;)

I thought he said 250 hives and the narrator said 30 staff, but hey ho it is TV for the general Public not for folk with a masters degree in beekeeping, if a program was to be done for Master beekeepers how long would we have to sit in front of the TV, most folk who have a rough idea about bee keeping should realize that and i bet the Original poster would learn quite a lot if he talked to this guy face to face..;)

Maybe I mis-heard but I can’t imagine being able to have 30 employees with 250 hives. Still think it was a good programme, enjoyed both farmers tales
S

Having 30 employees would do your tax return some good?
He was a banker after all?

I enjoyed the program and the chap was extremely engaging. I wish him well.

Just finished Apiary accounts for last year, didn’t think of adding employees. Next year maybe :spy:

I have done work for a old bank manger, cash in hand and when i mentioned will the taxman see this information on a form i filled out she frowned then laughed..the taxman sees nothing.. :spy:

He may be counting honey selling booth attendants on zero hours as employees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was told by a guy who runs a reasonable bee business that if his business was solely based on honey sales he would need 350 hives for every employee!

I was told by a guy who runs a reasonable bee business that if his business was solely based on honey sales he would need 350 hives for every employee!

He pays them too much.

...and i bet the Original poster would learn quite a lot if he talked to this guy face to face..;)

I do not disagree with this statement. The man consulted on the subject seemed very knowledgeable and was certainly confident in his handling of the bees. Perhaps it's just me being a pedant but I believe if you are going to show an item -- on any scientific subject --for public viewing then that public deserve to have accurate information and not something that is made to fit into a suitable time-slot. Poetic license is all very well in novels (although I object strenuously to Star Wars Han Solo's affirmation that the parsec is a measure of speed!) but in programs purporting to be factual then we should only be given facts not some directors interpretation of them.

Latest posts

Back