Misinformation -- again

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think demonstrating how removable frames work and why was necessary. so what if you wouldn’t do it in that way at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I object strenuously to Star Wars Han Solo's affirmation that the parsec is a measure of speed!

Actually Solo's (erroneous) affirmation is that the parsec is a measure of time!

#pedantry
#yourang?

I think demonstrating how removable frames work and why was necessary. so what if you wouldn’t do it in that way at that time.

Being as it is a scientific subject it should of been done in a scientific way.

Ok.
On parsecs it may just be that Han Solo was referring to finding a shortcut therefore fewer Parsecs and subsequently saving time... ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent book on clinker boat building here if your interested in clinker boats.
Thanks, just ordered a copy. Really popular in the North Sea, Scarborough Cobbles etc.
Give me something to read and build these long dark nights.
Probably name her the BBKA Titanic.
I can load all the dowsers in her for the maiden voyage.

Is he not falling foul of the Honey Regulations 2015, Section 16, Schedule 1, by selling honey with other ingredients added, i.e. ginger and turmeric, as honey?

I skipped thorugh the tv this afternoon and found a segment on a program on BBC1 called The Farmers COuntry Showdown. The bit I saw showed a beekeeper going through a hive and shaking bees off a frame claiming that he would take that frame and one other away and extract the honey from it. Now the guy obviously knew how to handle bees but I wonder if the production staff told him what to say because no beekeeper would take two frames form the middle of a 14 x 12 brood box, shake the bees off and then take it away to extract the honey. The two frames he took out had an arc of honey with egg and brood chambers in the middle!

There might be a lot of shite on Youtube regarding beekeeping but I have now seen two programs about honey and bees on the BBC that are positively laughable.

Makes you wonder about the veracity of programs about which I know nothing, am I being fed bollocks all the time for the sake of a 'good' program?

EDIT. A quick relook shows they are not 14 x 12's but they do have brood areas. If you want to see it the piece I am talking about is at 20 minutes and 30 seconds on Farmers Country Showdown on BBC iPlayer.

My thoughts on the original comment. I don't think that box was a 'brood chamber'. At least not in the conventional sense. It was second box, and looks like he uses one size box?... he's a big lad and can lift heavy 'supers' if he needs to. He may not use a QX either (speculation only- his Uncle was Jamaican he mentioned, where he learned the craft) which means 'brood chamber' is a moving feast... yes that frame has clearly had brood in it at some point, maybe not now, and it may have been a legitimate decision to take it for extraction. Odd they wouldn't show a full frame but yeah maybe he didn't have one that day. You don't get the full context of that decision of course. All I'm saying is I don't agree it was necessarily 'wrong'.

Regards his staff, many of his 'employees' are part time seasonal beeks. Saw his recruitment campaign somewhere.

He seems like a top lad and as mentioned, very handy with the bees. More power to his elbow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back