Staggering...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm glad some of you live in a world where none or some of these things don't matter to you. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Passwords should be like your toothbrush - changed often and used only by you - and they should never contain real words or anything associated with your identity, a random mix of letters, upper and lower case, numbers and symbols.

I have a problem with that. It's called Old Age.
I do try to change them but still have to write them down somewhere. It's OK on my Mac, it remembers most passwords....but there's another problem...

to be honest it doesn't matter what you put in your password, if you are viable to them you can quite easily be hacked, the secret is don't put all your eggs in one basket.

I have a problem with that. It's called Old Age.
I do try to change them but still have to write them down somewhere. It's OK on my Mac, it remembers most passwords....but there's another problem...

Yes ... I know I have the same problem .. what I do to solve that is to pick a memorable word and a memorable date (Not a family birthday unless it is very much separated from your immediate family) and then insert the numbers in between the letters in some sort of order - with a set of capitals somewhere in it and ideally a character or two. It then becomes more memorable ...you only have to remember the word's origin and the number's origin - much easier than remembering a random string.

For instance=B18e08e19K67*

(It looks totally random but it is actually = BeeK plus the date I bought my first car*)

This level of randomness is almost unfathomable by a hacker - 4 TRILLION years according to HSIMP. Writing passwords down is better than having your computer remember them ... but make sure they are written down somewhere that is not obvious to a burglar - inside cover of a favourite book or pasted onto the underside of something - but nothing anywhere near your computer.

Criminals are only one step behind any of the latest security measures in place on a lot of password protected web sites - if they hack those then there's nothing much you can do about it - but protecting your own internet passwords and separating them from the information they protect is something that protects the other end of the security - YOU.

You can get encrypted password programs such as one password. Set up one long hard password and store all other passwords within that program. It creates them and auto fills when required.

Only one to remember. Works across different platforms as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a beekeeping club, which is an interest group. How are member lists for other interest groups managed? Bridge Club, skydiving club etc?

Details printed are name, full address (inc. Post code), telephone number and email.
Isn't this just normal contact information that members of the group have previously agreed should be circulated amongst the group, by ticking the little box on the membership form?

If there's no yearbook, or list of members details, then how else are the members of the group meant to know how to contact other members of the group?

The members area is accessed with a generic logon and password that is published in the XYZ magazine BEEKEEPING, which is advertised in BEECRAFT.
The information is behind a login on the website, it doesn't mean it's freely available and there's nothing that says the magazine can be acquired by anybody not on the members list. I'd guess the circulation of Beecraft is relatively small too, so it's something of a niche market.

Any website that shows it has a password protected area is vulnerable to hackers, it's whether they think it'll be worth the effort.

Some associations have all the information for committee etc on the front of the website, how often are they targetted by either burglars or identity thieves?

Deleted post....silly joke....realised it might have been taken the wrong way....seem to be some folk serious challenged in the epidermis department around. Meant no offence but you can never tell......

Latest posts

Back