UK Buckast association-proposal

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickvv

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
varies with the season
With all the publicity (good and bad!) surrounding Buckfast bees and the absence of an association in the UK, I would like to propose to start one, if there is sufficient interest.
I already have contact with the German and Dutch associations who are very keen to help us with material from which to breed and to help us in any way they can. Although Bro Adam started the ball rolling here, it is mainly in continental Europe where the subsequent pedigree developments have taken place. If anyone is fortunate to visit a continental Buckfast Apiary, it is immediately apparent that the colonies there have a different”quality” to anything I have seen in the UK (admittedly I am only a beginner and have limited experience) And by looking at the European Buckfast Websites it is clear that the interaction between the various breeders (most are amateurs) have caused/created many of the characteristics which are associated with Buckfast Bees.
My proposal for a UK Buckfast association is therefore as follows:
1 To promote a better understanding of Buckfast bees, characteristics, family tree origins, etc.
2 Organise monitored queen rearing events between members.
3 Promote and encourage a better understanding and cooperation with other European Buckfast organisations
4 Promote and coordinate instrumental insemination and/or natural managed mating on island (or isolated area) queen rearing program(s).
5 Compare queen performances between members, to ensure that continual improvement in the Buckfast bee is maintained
6 Organise meetings for members to exchange new ideas and to promote working together on common queen rearing projects and also to organise lectures by leading experts on Buckfast Bee improvement
7 This association to be non profit making, and to be solely for the benefit of the members and associated organisations, as agreed between the members.
(PS; the listing is not in order of importance)

If this interests you then:

1 For anyone that is interested, pm or email me with brief details, and what you would like from a UK Buckfast association and your approximate geographic location, after which;
A questionnaire to be sent to all respondents, and a centrally located meeting to be organised, with the purpose of:
1 To agree the association rules and objectives/ (discussions prior to the meeting via email)
2 A committee to be formed .Any volunteers are very welcome!
3 A preliminary 2012 program also to be agreed, with the details to be worked out at a later stage

After this meeting the association will be mainly internet based, except where mating programs are agreed and lectures are to be organised
In addition I am in the fortunate (or maybe unfortunate?) position to have an understanding of Dutch and German and I have been given approval to translate and publish the various study articles written for the European Buckfast association, which I intend to do in the context of publishing for a UK Buckfast association. ( I realise this is a promise I may live to regret!)
As regards mating sites, there are already discussions under way, but it is the members that will make the final decision
Also, for anyone interested in II, Prof Dr Peter Schley (whose II equipment is very popular) has offered his help with a course and equipment support-all on a strict voluntary basis

It was unfortunate that Keld's lecture was cancelled last weeks Honey show, because it would have been a perfect place to introduce fellow Buckfast beekeepers into the idea of forming a UK association (Thirst in the Hive didn’t quite make it for me!)
I would like a debate on any of the proposals, and any comments, changes, etc. are greatly welcomed.
I am based near Lingfield, Surrey, pm me giving brief details and your email address
PPS I will also be publishing this email on the Buckfast website, if they let me!

The problem in the UK is you will find it very hard to breed Buckfasts without resorting to artificial insemination and that is likely I think to limit the number of queens raised. Brother Adam had his mating apiary on Dartmoor near Hexworthy but even that was not totally secure and the hostile climate made it a very expensive operation as the bees needed feeding for much of the year.

I like the idea but I fear if anyone wants Buckfast bees here in the UK they are going to have to continue to import them for the forseeable future.

Unless of course, you can find a secure site somewhere to mate the queens. The remoter parts of Scotland might fit the bill but you would have to ensure no one was breeding AMMs locally and mess up their breeding programme - and the Buckfast does not seem to do well in some parts of Scotland from what I have heard - although by definition the Buckfast is a hybrid so unless it has been selected for a specific climate such as they get in Scotland then it can't be expected to thrive where it was not intended. Or put the other way, Buckfasts selected from a population on a Scottish island might not do so well in Surrey.

I am not trying to throw cold water on the proposal - I have imported a few queens from Keld over the years and a local source would be a good alternative - and of course avoid the wrath of the anti-importation of bees police.

Last edited:
Regarding mating sites, There are offers from the Netherlands and Germany for island mating sites. These are closer than London to the West country. There are also possibilities in the UK, island and possibly remote area (not Scotland). Any mating site (read Drone rearing colony) will by necessity will have to be sugar and pollen fed (otherwise there will already be bee colonies around,whether feral or managed).
The idea of a Buckfast association is to rear your own queen stock,as good as the best around.
As far as II is concerned,it is not as difficult as you think, and by combining the members resources,becomes quite low cost,especially if members are encouraged to raise their own virgin queens, but does need drones ,most lekely from other menbers to avoid in breeding That's why I suggested possibility of II instruction by Peter Schley.
But hey,I won't stop from byuing queens from Keld or anyone else. I just think we can do as well,if not better.

Have you posted the question on the Buckfast forum?

I think BIBBA would like to reinstate the Guy Foulkes punishment tradition for all Buckfast beekeepers, that's if Roger Patterson has anything to with it!
Who's he ??
Not a single post on his site under a week old and that from a newbie :bigear::bigear:
VM

Just read the thread, and must point out that there is a forum dedicated to the breeding of the Buckfast ! It's UK based and aimed at English speaking breeders:)
Just google it ; urls are frowned on especially those that could be construed as rivals .
Nowt wrong with that :)
VM

Buckie... have you ever tried it..
The flagon with the Dragon is...
The Brew that is true!

Surely any true brew Buckies would have flown long ago !

interesting concept, wonder if there are remnants of Buckie.... the genomes that is.... in Tamar Valley Honey Bees?????????

urls are frowned on especially those that could be construed as rivals .
Nowt wrong with that

Is that right? I didn't know that, why should it matter if the common theme is bees, or is this a money making web site?

Chris

In-land mating station

This summer Jean Marie Van Dyck (the owner of Karl Kehle foundation) invited me to join the instrumental insemination session in Wellin, Belgium.
600 Queens from Belgium, Luxembourg and France were inseminated in 5 days by Jürgen Brauße and his wife. JB and wife is travelling/camping Europe during the summer and inseminating thousand of Queens on in-land mating stations. Very competent.

Latest posts

Back