Some pics to amuse and even inform?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great photos, just wondered, does anyone still use a Glen Hive?

I had a look at it on Dave Cushman's site (Glen) and it's one hell of a hive.

I am quite sure there are Glens still in use. 15 frame BB. Not exactly easy to migrate with but it is done. Done it myself.

PH

I am quite sure there are Glens still in use. 15 frame BB. Not exactly easy to migrate with but it is done. Done it myself.

PH

Is that BS deep frames and were they the same size supers too? I guess they would give the Dartington a run for it's money as far as static hives go.

No.

The supers were standard National depth and the Brood box a standard National deep.

The whole thing was invented by Dr Anderson of The Beekeeping Department of the North of Scotland College of Agriculture in the mid 1930's.

the point being of course to have a one brood box colony.

I bought two from a gentleman in Dinnet on Royal Deeside and in his time he'd run 100 in his back field selling the Heather honey to Fortnum and Mason.

PH

P H,

Migratory? No wonder you have worn out cartilage!

RAB

nonstandard,

Not even close, as far as brood frame area for a Dartington! About the same size as a 14 x 12 brood box. But with all those lifts, as well as boxes, it was probably heavier, all up, than a Dartington.

I could fold out the legs on my Dartingtons and they could be carried between two people (like a stretcher), if I really wanted to move them. Just toooo much hassle.

RAB

There is a pic on the forum from Peggy Logan's book but no doubt it will be easier to scan it again so here you are...

I have seen a pic of a Glen with as many lifts on it on the heather it appeared to have on five supers, but as we k now anyone can build up an empty hive..

Some of these ones have two supers on.

PH

From Logan's book again, "A prosperous Glen in Perthshire"

PH

Do you have any idea the cost of those bloody socks? Sheesh.. things I do...

PH

Taking a photo of the books might come out better, or up load to e.g www.photobucket.com and play about with the image, very quick to do. And also that way, saves pics on another site rather than filling up forum space (or is there a large amount?)

Anyway did a quick crop and fix up for you.

img119.jpg

Dartington

nonstandard,

Not even close, as far as brood frame area for a Dartington! About the same size as a 14 x 12 brood box. But with all those lifts, as well as boxes, it was probably heavier, all up, than a Dartington.

RAB

I've only had one experience with a Dartington, experience being a good word to use.

While on my beekeeping course last year we went to 'meet the bees' at one of our association members apiaries. We looked at a 14 x 12 first without any problems and then moved on to the Dartington.

Mike explained the basics of the hive, he removed the two half roofs and showed us a super explaining how being smaller they were better for him and his wife as they were smaller and lighter; he then removed one of the half crown boards from over the brood frames and I thought someone had opened fire with a Gattling gun. I was stood at the side of Mike and both he and I were subjected to a constant barrage of bees pinging off our suits.

I guess the bees were quite happy with the Dartington, they just didn't want to share it with us. The bizzare thing was that the rest of the group who were stood on the opposite side of the hive were not targeted just Mike and myself. I do wonder if I was actually collateral damage and Mike the main target. :)

The bees or keeper, I think, not the hive format. Things like mobile phone in pocket? comes to mind.

I would try not to have a half super on anyway - I don't like them! IF I were to be looking for honey from my Dartingtons they would likely have at least 16 frames and possibly 20 off, 14 x 12 frames, before considering going up. As it is, I have usually borrowed bees and queen cells, for elsewhere, rather than go for 'out and out honey production'.

The hive should be more like TBH with just the one tier of frames. I find them much less 'lively' than my Nationals - but there, I do have my selected queens in them.

I had a couple of colonies in Nationals that reacted even before the crownboard was off. One is vile and follows, the other has been requeened. The Dartingtons were both in my garden until this last summer, so would never have bees like those in them!

The vile bees are still vile. If the season had not come to such an abrupt end for me it, too, would likely now have a quieter queen.....

Regards, RAB

One to make you smile, and no smart a**e comments please.

Coal dust collected as pollen.

Wax, some cleaner than others.

Heather comb cut for cut comb! Note the cutters were cleaned up and that they are very liable to get very very sticky and reluctant to work for you.

PH

Evidence is on your screen. "A picture is worth a 1000 words."

PH

but why? Should we all now be feeding out bees coal patties?

I have quite a bit of coal dust at work!

Latest posts

Back