Some pics to amuse and even inform?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a story about the Stewerton men. It is a village in Argyl and Bute.

Now this hive is a top bar style, and is arguably dependant on bee space: so who discovered bee space first? *grin*

Now there was a huge exhibition in London so the story goes and the beekeepers from Stewerton swept the board with their comb honey.

Then went home, pulled out the BEST combs, and set to in the LOCAL honey show where the real competition was.....LOL

Ha! I'd have to sell the kids and even then I'd probably only manage the delivery charge!!

Friom Wikipedia

Langstroth was popularly credited with discovering the "bee space," though this discovery had already been implemented in European hives. In Europe, both Jan Dzierżon and August von Berlepsch had been focused on side-opened hives. Land resources in Europe had been limited, and traditionally bees were kept in beehouses. The presently so-called “bee space” had been incorporated by Berlepsch following Dzierzon’s discoveries, from the years 1845-1848, into his frame arrangement (Bienen-Zeitung, May 1852). Langstroth made many other discoveries in beekeeping, and contributed greatly to the industrialization of modern beekeeping.

Langstroth revolutionized the beekeeping industry by using bee space in his top-opened hive. In the summer of 1851 he found that, by leaving an even, approximately bee-sized space between the top of the frames holding the honeycomb and the flat coverboard above, he was able to quite easily remove the coverboard, which was normally well cemented to the frames with propolis, making separation hard to achieve. He later used this discovery to make the frames themselves easily removable. He found that, if he left a small space (less than 1/4 inch or 6.4 mm) between the combs, or between the combs and the sides of his hives, the bees filled it with propolis, cementing the combs into the hive. On the other hand, when he left a larger space (more than 3/8 inch or 9.5 mm), the bees filled it with comb.

On 5 October 1852, Langstroth received a patent on the first movable frame beehive in America. A Philadelphia cabinetmaker, Henry Bourquin, a fellow bee enthusiast, made Langstroth's first hives for him and by 1852 Langstroth had more than a hundred of these hives and began selling them where he could. Langstroth spent many years attempting to defend his patent without success. He never earned any royalties because the patent was easily and widely infringed. Langstroth hives are still in common use today.

So the Stewerton was invented in 1819, and Langstroth took his patent out in 1852.

Says it all really....

PH

Some wax pics.

Some of there were submitted in the Photo class of the Nat honey show.

PH

More foundation of various types and aphids! Honeydew!!

Honey judging now...Aberdeen and District Honey Show.

Alaistair Lilburn of Aboyne, judging. He knew Mr Wood personally, and who was he I hear you ask: think of Acarine....

The Hon Sec hard at work, and I bought my very first bees from him.

Some lovely honey.

PH

LOLhe looked like he was going to enjoy testing/tasting the mead.

Very good but wet cappings. Will lose against cappings to the same standard but with a good air gap.

The Bakery classes, hotly competed for by the women folk mainly but the odd brave man ventures forth...lol

PH

Three nice frames and the cut comb class.

Missed them out so next one down. LOL

PH

Two lots of cappings let down by lack of air gap, and the wax class.

PH

Latest posts

Back