Some people are just stupid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last edited:
Isn't lack of education a big factor? How many nowadays have learned about how to behave well in the countryside? Few have had experience of being a scout or guide for instance, or ever been in any organised expedition of any sort. Schools can't address everything. Putting signs out and laws and Countryfile programmes are never going to replace childhood learning about the value of being a responsible citizen and the self-respect that goes with it, or sense of connectedness with the land.

It's not just Britain. Here, we have the different councils grouped into what we call "community of communes". These are normally a few largish towns and lots of rural areas. The overall aim is to have several metropoles with associated countryside. The money goes to thebig towns and they hand some of it out to the rural places to help them develop. That is the theory. In reality, the coutryside is losing infrastructures and hence jobs, populations and community. The countryside is being developed for tourism,and is becoming the playground of the big towns. And the visitors have city mentalities which they think it normal to impose on every blade of crushed grass and every squashed insect. And then after their noisy picnics they drive back to the cities to suffer another week of wondering what to buy in the shops. In fact it seems to me this is a "desired " situation by those up there. It's what I fight against all the time.

It's not just Britain. Here, we have the different councils grouped into what we call "community of communes". These are normally a few largish towns and lots of rural areas. The overall aim is to have several metropoles with associated countryside. The money goes to thebig towns and they hand some of it out to the rural places to help them develop. That is the theory. In reality, the coutryside is losing infrastructures and hence jobs, populations and community. The countryside is being developed for tourism,and is becoming the playground of the big towns. And the visitors have city mentalities which they think it normal to impose on every blade of crushed grass and every squashed insect. And then after their noisy picnics they drive back to the cities to suffer another week of wondering what to buy in the shops. In fact it seems to me this is a "desired " situation by those up there. It's what I fight against all the time.
I can see why you live where you live.;):)

...And there was me thinking I'm getting grumpy in my old age whereas, the reality is, I'm getting more intolerant of these trash and wish to retire into the wilderness away from these vile idiots...

...And there was me thinking I'm getting grumpy in my old age whereas, the reality is, I'm getting more intolerant of these trash and wish to retire into the wilderness away from these vile idiots...
We have a granary for rent it's 28 miles from any town if your interested it's been recently converted.

Isn't lack of education a big factor? How many nowadays have learned about how to behave well in the countryside? Few have had experience of being a scout or guide for instance, or ever been in any organised expedition of any sort. Schools can't address everything. Putting signs out and laws and Countryfile programmes are never going to replace childhood learning about the value of being a responsible citizen and the self-respect that goes with it, or sense of connectedness with the land.
The sorts of outdoor education I did at school has gone by the way. One problem is the liability issues for the schools. It was kinda dangerous when I think back to a few things that either went wrong or could have.

When I read this trail I am sad and reminded why I live in France, England not Britain is overcrowded leading to excessive pressure on open space and the clash of cultures we see here. I live at 650 meters in the Vosges national park and have none of the problems you are all discussing, we have off road vehicles, horses, motorbike however there is room for all and no conflicts arise. There are no private signs, no keep out signs, people are welcome.This week we have had a lot of snow so people have come in large numbers to sledge with family, on any hill they like including mine. You will find no litter, no bad language, no drunks, just people having fun.
I also believe Britain has a cultural problem, going back many centuries, no respect, greed, envies etc however that would be for others to analyze. For me the problem is going to get worse as the pressure on recreational space is only going to get greater.
Great minds need to think of solutions to these conflicts of interest and to free up more countryside to ease pressure on hot spots.

I can see why you live where you live.;):)
I agree with you about being a desired outcome, and it should never be forgotten that a lot of countryside was stolen by the enclosures acts in the 18 century 10’s of thousands of rural people were forced into cities to provide the cheap labor to fuel the industrial revolution. Perhaps that common land should be returned to the “People of Britain” then more land would be available for recreation and learning about the countryside.

I agree with you about being a desired outcome, and it should never be forgotten that a lot of countryside was stolen by the enclosures acts in the 18 century 10’s of thousands of rural people were forced into cities to provide the cheap labor to fuel the industrial revolution. Perhaps that common land should be returned to the “People of Britain” then more land would be available for recreation and learning about the countryside.
In reality this is "The Tragedy of the Commons".... too many people wanting access to the same bit of common accessible open land to the extent where that extra family wanting their space for their dog to exercise impacts on everyone else's pleasure.

BUT the National Trust and the National Parks ( Dartmoor) research shows that walk but 200 yards from most of its carparks and you would find space for yourself!

A friend who still lives in Dorking Surrey said that Box Hill was packed this last weekend with social distancing almost impossible and queues for the car parks!

Cabin fever or what?

Chons da

I think most people have access to common land most commons are open and have trails through them or right of ways.

Even at home there is a right of way through the middle of the farm and we look after the stiles around the fields.. Even on the hill the same applys I personally have fixed gate ways stiles out of my own pocket when other farmers haven't.
I welcome any one! but covid has shown how selfish and how stupid folk are it's all very upsetting and frustrating.

‘Some’ people ? I’m fast coming to the conclusion it’s better to presume stupidity and then it’s up to the individual to convince me otherwise
That’s awful
I couldn’t live like that
I try to find good in everybody.

Having spent 40 years dealing with the public I am no longer surprised with their attitudes and sense of entitlement. Sadly experience has shoved me in the direction of treating people with suspicion. Then when they behave badly I am not disappointed. I am fortunate to live remotely.....intended......so I’m not bothered by the antics of the Covidiots!

I’m sure this is going to be controversial but I believe it’s only a small percentage causing the problems. I live on the outskirts of a city but mostly in countryside and walk daily on an estate privately owned and welcomed to do so with the exception of a few areas strictly for the family use. It is a working estate but they have provided parking, a small cafe and access to most of the estate land (he also has bees and others have out apiaries there). This is how it should be, if you are fortunate enough and wealthy enough to own land please be gracious enough to realise most do not have that privilege but may also want to enjoy the land!
According to Wikipedia By 2013, 82 per cent was formally registered at HM Land Registry. In 2010, over a third of the UK was owned by 1,200 families descended from aristocracy, was owned by the top three land owners, the Forestry Commission, National Trust and Defence Estates. The Crown Estate held around 1,448 km2.

"In Scotland, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Austria, Czech Republic and Switzerland, the freedom to roam takes the form of general public rights which are sometimes codified in law."
Of course with 'rights' comes responsibility, something that seems to be beyond the understanding of many.
England is far more restrictive, outdated and old-fashioned - although you can access some land without having to use proscribed paths.

It always gets me when people who live in towns and cities moan about the lack of access to the countryside . When they do come they leave litter and s**t everywhere.They have no respect for people who live in the countryside and have to clean up after they have left. There seems to be an attitude that we in the countryside are less than townies this often shows its self in the fact that when people move into rural communities the first thing they want to do is change everything. Rant over!

Latest posts

Back