Some people are just stupid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sad 'ennit? Too many humans on a potty little island with a chunk of Hong Kong likely to be admitted soon too add to the overcrowding and desecration of yet more fertile land on which to build millions more rubbishy so-called 'affordable' housing. My wife is 80 and I am 86 and we are well ware that we are well beyond our sell-by date but what the hell I am too much of a coward to do the obvious and get the hell out of it. We have even had the 'benefit' of a double dose of the Covid-19 vaccination, seemingly because of our surname begins with an A. Of course the whole planet is doomed anyway and one day somebody might realise it and try to get elsewhere and find that won't work either. Humanity is truly stuck in a mess and we are never truly going to get to grips with reality - just think of the USA and Donald Trump.

In 2010, over a third of the UK was owned by 1,200 families descended from aristocracy, was owned by the top three land owners, the Forestry Commission, National Trust and Defence Estates. The Crown Estate held around 1,448 km2.
And most of that is land stolen from the commoners during the enclosures of firstly the 16th centuries but especially the 18th and 19th century

we in the countryside are less than townies this often shows its self in the fact that when people move into rural communities the first thing they want to do is change everything.
Recently, I put myself up for election on the local council. I went round and asked everyone what they would like, what projects they had. The answer at 100% was " that nothing changes".

I've lived on farms, I've lived in villages, I've lived in towns, I've lived in cities, I've lived on top of a hill in Africa. People are pretty much the same everywhere. Some of them I get on with and some of them I don't

I've lived on farms, I've lived in villages, I've lived in towns, I've lived in cities, I've lived on top of a hill in Africa. People are pretty much the same everywhere. Some of them I get on with and some of them I don't
And the future is bleak.....

And the future is bleak.....
That's it cabbin fever has well and truly set in.. Think of all the positives a bit!?

Constant snow on the ground since 28th of December.. Its snowing now.

We've started lambing.. New life! spring is only around the corner.

My wife is pregnant again with child 7.

Positively positive... Let's have some ( comments)

That's it cabbin fever has well and truly set in.. Think of all the positives a bit!?

Constant snow on the ground since 28th of December.. Its snowing now.

We've started lambing.. New life! spring is only around the corner.

My wife is pregnant again with child 7.

Positively positive... Let's have some ( comments)
Congrats to you and your wife Mark but you must be mad!!!!
3 was 3 too many for me :giggle:

Congrats to you and your wife Mark but you must be mad!!!!
3 was 3 too many for me :giggle:
We can't help it we love children.
I wee bit mad for sure!

Im getting on a bit now to, but I may be 41 in Feb but I only feel like I'm 25 in my mind...
They keep you feeling young inside its just the outside thats falling to peaces..

Cheers neil

Think of all the positives a bit!

The future might include

- almost limitless low-cost, low-carbon energy from renewables (the technology exists and the cost is plummeting)

- low-cost meat and/or meat substitutes, grown at large scale in factories, substituting for the low-end processed meats that most people eat most of the time (already on sale in Singapore), releasing land for lower-intensity farming, wilderness, leisure or whatever we want to dream of

- therapies based on gene editing to eliminate many common cancers, inherited conditions and a lot of other diseases (the technology is here, as are blood tests to detect early-stage, pre-symptomatic cancer; it's just a matter of developing the therapies)

- automation and artificial intelligence deployed in ways that humanise and enrich our lives, rather than exploit and demean them

These are very real and imminent possibilities

Of course, it might not - and politics might ensure that when it happens it benefits a few rather than most of us - but if you don't imagine a better future, it won't happen, right?

The future might include

- almost limitless low-cost, low-carbon energy from renewables (the technology exists and the cost is plummeting)
GB Fuel type power generation production shows the problem of relying on wind and sun in winter..
HALF our electricity is produced by Gas turbines. We are using coal fired and importing electricity flat out from France. Renewables are less than 20% of demand.

There ARE NO credible plans to replace Gas Fired power stations with a source that can be switched on in hours to compensate for days like today.

I am all in favour of decarbonising but anyone who thinks the UK has serious plans (and workable ones at that) to do so is deceived.
Buy a standby generator when Britain's nuclear stations are closed: you will need it. (I have )

GB Fuel type power generation production shows the problem of relying on wind and sun in winter..
HALF our electricity is produced by Gas turbines. We are using coal fired and importing electricity flat out from France. Renewables are less than 20% of demand.

There ARE NO credible plans to replace Gas Fired power stations with a source that can be switched on in hours to compensate for days like today.

I am all in favour of decarbonising but anyone who thinks the UK has serious plans (and workable ones at that) to do so is deceived.
Buy a standby generator when Britain's nuclear stations are closed: you will need it. (I have )
Buy a standby generator when Britain's nuclear stations are closed: you will need it.

I suppose you have enough bullshit to feed it on ! :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2: :icon_204-2:

The future might include

- low-cost meat and/or meat substitutes, grown at large scale in factories, substituting for the low-end processed meats that most people eat most of the time (already on sale in Singapore), releasing land for lower-intensity farming, wilderness, leisure or whatever we want to dream of

- therapies based on gene editing to eliminate many common cancers, inherited conditions and a lot of other diseases (the technology is here, as are blood tests to detect early-stage, pre-symptomatic cancer; it's just a matter of developing the therapies)

- automation and artificial intelligence deployed in ways that humanise and enrich our lives, rather than exploit and demean them

Of course, it might not - and politics might ensure that when it happens it benefits a few rather than most of us - but if you don't imagine a better future, it won't happen, right?
Some fair points there, but in some situations we are stuck behind the times in comparison to other countries..
Some times political members should get there heads from up there arse and speed things up... I mean look at lockdown for example or the market for using cbd oil we are about 2 years behind America.. The government could make so much money.

I hate this government as much as any other fair-minded Trot, but I think even they have worked out which way the wind is blowing (sorry) on the energy market. I'm sure Little Britain will be behind the curve (what's new) but I suspect the numbers alone will make it happen more quickly than anyone is prepared for. Curly's mandate was to accentuate the positive ;)

The future might include

https://gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

And most of that is land stolen from the commoners during the enclosures of firstly the 16th centuries but especially the 18th and 19th century

Yes, I've studied this in our parish. The tithe map of 1835 and subsequent 19C OS maps show several 'lands for the labouring poor'. Many of these disappeared after the Inclosure Act of 1853. A separate large endowment of 1780 has disappeared without trace. We are left with about three acres = a recreation field and allotments.
As a separate charity we are proud we still have 13 acres, 'The Bread Closes' currently rented by a local farmer dating from a bequest of 1564!

Edit: the income from the rental has only one purpose: to fund our annual pensioners' lunch!

Last edited:
In reality this is "The Tragedy of the Commons".... too many people wanting access to the same bit of common accessible open land to the extent where that extra family wanting their space for their dog to exercise impacts on everyone else's pleasure.

BUT the National Trust and the National Parks ( Dartmoor) research shows that walk but 200 yards from most of its carparks and you would find space for yourself!

A friend who still lives in Dorking Surrey said that Box Hill was packed this last weekend with social distancing almost impossible and queues for the car parks!

Cabin fever or what?

Chons da
This is true. My sister-in-law lives in Boxhill and said it has been a complete nightmare with people thronging, not distancing and dropping their sh*t everywhere.

It always gets me when people who live in towns and cities moan about the lack of access to the countryside . When they do come they leave litter and s**t everywhere.They have no respect for people who live in the countryside and have to clean up after they have left. There seems to be an attitude that we in the countryside are less than townies this often shows its self in the fact that when people move into rural communities the first thing they want to do is change everything. Rant over!
They're known as DFLs where I live (Sussex coast) - Down From London(ers). They arrive in their Chelsea tractors, strip the local shops of food, don't social distance, sh*t in the sand dunes and peoples gardens as they cant be bothered to walk to the public loo, leave all their litter strewn about, park wherever they like and then complain because it takes them 4 hours to get out of the beach carpark with all the other morons.

Back