Some advice please - cbpv?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have treated 3 colonies with this method this year, with reasonable success. All the colonies have recovered; one lost the queen during treatment (I've no idea if this was due to the treatment or other causes) but have successfully raised another. A second colony are now trying to supersede, several weeks after I restored normal set-up - the queen is still there but almost stopped laying, and there are very obvious supersedure cells. Maybe a weak queen was a factor in both colonies getting the disease

I have had concrete on the ground; a 50cm high, open hive stand; an empty brood box directly on the stand, and then the brood and supers. I've had no problem with wasps or other invaders - but I have seen very few wasps anywhere yet this year; I'm keeping a very careful eye out from now on, as one hive is still in this configuration. It's a very strong colony, but I intend to restore normal set-up as soon as I see wasps anywhere in the apiary. I'd be vary wary of starting treatment now

I've had the hives in the 'open' configuration for 4-6 weeks before closing up

One thing I have observed: the extreme separation between the ground and the bottom of the brood has not stopped my bees from clearing corpses from the concrete. I had wondered if carnivorous insects or rodents were clearing the corpses, as I seldom see more than one or two, but I have definitely observed undertaker bees picking them up and flying off with them. So I guess having corpses fall to the ground does reduce the contact between them and the healthy bees, but it does not completely eliminate hygienic behaviour, in my experience

Edit: I've had no problem with comb-building under the brood frames

Latest posts

Back