Some advice please - cbpv?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeaBees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all
Been noticing increased numbers of dead bees outside hive over last few days. Caused a bit of concern naturally as other hives not showing anywhere near number of deadfall. Scooped a bunch of dead bees and noticed consists of predominantly drones, but still… Been reading about cbpv and now seeing odd behavior everywhere and would like opinion of more experienced eyes. Is this cbpv behavior?
View attachment cpbv?.mp4
Thanks

Doesn’t look like it. Are the bees on the ground dead and staggering
Dead bees? How many?
Could have done with a longer clip. Can you do a video of bees on a frame.
Are these Italians?
What are stores like ?
We need more info on the colony

Doesn’t look like it. Are the bees on the ground dead and staggering
Dead bees? How many?
Could have done with a longer clip. Can you do a video of bees on a frame.
Are these Italians?
What are stores like ?
We need more info on the colony

Have tried to attach a longer version of that video but too large. Trying to figure out a way to do it.
Bees on the ground are predominantly dead. A handful on the ground performing, or attempting to, undertaker duty.
Hive on a palette and with long grass in front so obscures true number of dead but hopefully can see in the attached picture.
The colony headed by 2020 buckfast queen. Overwintered well, though took a hit in the cold spell early spring but built right back up strongly.
No issue with stores, have 3 supers on. 3rd is full, though 2nd feels lighter than 3rd and 1st looks more full of pollen than nectar.
Single brood box. Colony was demaree'd earlier in season, but taken down about 3 weeks ago.
Did have a look through the box - eggs and brood in various stages seen and didnt notice any "unusual" behaviour by bees on frames, but chance that I missed something or didn't want to see is there. Hope to get some time this week to go in and check again and this will take a video.

PNG image better.png

Those bees are shaky. There are a few with wings sticking out. I would reserve my judgement till I saw a longer video you could do a view of the bees on the top bars fairly easily.
I an suspicious though
If it is CBPV there is something you can try so the sooner we get a diagnosis the better

Have tried to attach a longer version of that video but too large. Trying to figure out a way to do it.
Bees on the ground are predominantly dead. A handful on the ground performing, or attempting to, undertaker duty.
Hive on a palette and with long grass in front so obscures true number of dead but hopefully can see in the attached picture.
The colony headed by 2020 buckfast queen. Overwintered well, though took a hit in the cold spell early spring but built right back up strongly.
No issue with stores, have 3 supers on. 3rd is full, though 2nd feels lighter than 3rd and 1st looks more full of pollen than nectar.
Single brood box. Colony was demaree'd earlier in season, but taken down about 3 weeks ago.
Did have a look through the box - eggs and brood in various stages seen and didnt notice any "unusual" behaviour by bees on frames, but chance that I missed something or didn't want to see is there. Hope to get some time this week to go in and check again and this will take a video.

View attachment 27288
Was the floor inside the hive carpeted with corpses?

Those bees are shaky. There are a few with wings sticking out. I would reserve my judgement till I saw a longer video you could do a view of the bees on the top bars fairly easily.
I an suspicious though
If it is CBPV there is something you can try so the sooner we get a diagnosis the better
Will try and get in there this eve to video top bars.
Will the top bars of supers do or brood box only?

Will try and get in there this eve to video top bars.
Will the top bars of supers do or brood box only?
Just bees. Need to see bees so if there are plenty on the supers that will do.
Interesting that most are drones though. Bit early to be tossing drones out.

Just bees. Need to see bees so if there are plenty on the supers that will do.
Interesting that most are drones though. Bit early to be tossing drones out.

Video attached via link. Hope it works. Edited link : Video Topbar video
Really do think it is cbpv. At about 1:15mins quite an obvious bee with a tremor.
Dead fall in front of hive was much reduced today but also spotted quite a dark trembling bee on the ground in front of hive.

Would welcome any advice. This is from my strongest (was) hive and with 4 supers on.
Also any ways to mitigate it spreading to other colonies.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yes I can see trembling bees
Is there any way you can move the colony away from the apiary? That would be ideal but don’t panic if you can’t.
Some people might disagree but it’s doesn’t easily spread from hive to hive. CBPV is spread by contact and housekeeper bees get infected by dragging the sick bees out.
1. Give them more space. A super above the brood will help.
2. Minimise housekeeper/ sick bee contact.
If you can prevent the house bees tidying up they may stand a chance
What I have discussed with JBM who first mentioned it and what I have seen a friend do might, just might work.
Have the colony on an open hive stand and remove the floor so that sick bees just drop to the ground
You need to make sure they are not robbed so do something like this

7AA8E08E-5CF1-4F91-BEA1-43DE6CA4F56F.jpeg

I've had colonies with CPBV sat next to a perfectly healthy hive and it hasn't jumped over - I think the same message seemed to be coming from the NBU as well.
As for this new wheeze about leaving them with no floors, I've heard that quite a few people have tried it and thus far 100% success rate, no real empirical data on it yet, But I think it's worth a try.

Can cbpv cause bees to be disorientated?
Being as it effects there brain?
I think I might have a suspect colony lots of dead drones not so many workers queen has gone to.
I will get a video, not happy with this colony they are requeening at the mo.

Can cbpv cause bees to be disorientated?
Being as it effects there brain?
I think I might have a suspect colony lots of dead drones not so many workers queen has gone to.
I will get a video, not happy with this colony they are requeening at the mo.
Video here.
It’s a bit long winded but you do get a look at the bees.
There’s a follow up I haven’t watched. I don’t know if he mentions a treatment
Whatever you do DON’T shake them out

Video here.
It’s a bit long winded but you do get a look at the bees.
There’s a follow up I haven’t watched. I don’t know if he mentions a treatment
Whatever you do DON’T shake them out

Thanks dani I will watch it in a bit.
Good old stuwart

I've had colonies with CPBV sat next to a perfectly healthy hive and it hasn't jumped over - I think the same message seemed to be coming from the NBU as well.
As for this new wheeze about leaving them with no floors, I've heard that quite a few people have tried it and thus far 100% success rate, no real empirical data on it yet, But I think it's worth a try.
Thanks Dani, JBM
Will be trying the open floor stand today. Is it likely the queen has died as well ? Will have a look for her but would be good to know what to expect. As for the stores/supers what do you suggest doing? They are heavy boxes but not capped.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back