CBPV

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as the colony weakened, some robbing started.
And now another hive is showing strong signs of infection.
It’s spread
It may be too late and you may have only two at that apiary, but termination of an infected colony is pro-active stock management and will reduce risk to others in the apiary.

More colonies can be made from a healthy survivor, but if the're all infected you have no options.

All mine have pulled through even ones treated late. It helps having a flow on when the floor is taken away
I’ve requeened when the dead stop dropping.
I have one colony that had it last year and they still gave me honey.
Same here, one colony in an apiary of four - both pairs on three hive stands, none of the others got infected (I've heard in general it's a random thing with, even in larger apiaries, no guarantee it will infect neighbouring hives. I harvested a super of honey from it at the end of that season. This year it's bursting with bees, no sign of a recurrence, I had to Demaree it a few weeks ago and I'll be putting a clearer board on this afternoon to take off two supers of spring honey - they're already piling in the bramble.

My first CBPV colony I put an end to them today only the healthier fliers were left remaining with the Q, she was quished .

My other colony next to it which also now has CPBV , was a lot better today. Still dead bees on the ground but not as many as previously , Q is laying up still and a couple frames of eggs seen along with 7 framaes of open and sealed. None or very few trembling bees seen on the top bars or that matter on the frame faces as I looked, but still they have lost several or even 10's of thousands of bees.
This hive though is still quite strong so they might pull through.

Infection wise it could be the beek after the initial cases are found otherwise drifting or drones .
Each hive I open I use different gloves and hive tool which only leaves the beesuit but generally this doesn't come in to much contact at all with the bees.

Same here, one colony in an apiary of four - both pairs on three hive stands, none of the others got infected (I've heard in general it's a random thing with, even in larger apiaries, no guarantee it will infect neighbouring hives. I harvested a super of honey from it at the end of that season. This year it's bursting with bees, no sign of a recurrence, I had to Demaree it a few weeks ago and I'll be putting a clearer board on this afternoon to take off two supers of spring honey - they're already piling in the bramble.
Just come back from putting clearer boards at that apiary - the colonly in question has taken full advantage of the new flow and has filled a super and a half in less than a week and every gap is stuffed with nectar/honey

I requeened my CBPV colony mid way through the virus last year, which was risky, but the colony headed by her is doing great this year.

It’s just one of those (horrible) things.

It may be too late and you may have only two at that apiary, but termination of an infected colony is pro-active stock management and will reduce risk to others in the apiary.

More colonies can be made from a healthy survivor, but if the're all infected you have no options.
I read an article recently where a commercial bee keeper lost 150 out of 400 colonies to this.

View attachment 36575It didn’t actually take pictures as the stand hides it but these are pics of the floor when I made it.
A quick update.
Returned to the hive today to see if it works
It does BUT the bees still seem to want to remove the corpses from below the funnel. I watched a dying bee fall from the funnel and an undertaker come and pick it up and take it away!
The bottom of the funnel is approx 12” from the ground.

What about funneling them into a plastic bag attached to the bottom of the funnel and effectively sealed off from the undertakers. Remove and replace on a regular basis. All about removing contact with the "healthy" bees hopefully as much as possible.

What about funneling them into a plastic bag attached to the bottom of the funnel and effectively sealed off from the undertakers. Remove and replace on a regular basis. All about removing contact with the "healthy" bees hopefully as much as possible.
I think the bees would go into the bag to retrieve the corpses as they would consider the bag part of their nest.

I think so. Requeening with an unrelated queen often fixes it.
As well as opening up the floor.
Good luck with them.
My observations with CBPV are small sample sizes and not to be taken for anything more.

Several years ago, I switched to bees imported into the US by USDA from the Primorski region of Russia 20+ years ago.

I originally thought both the black shiny bees and the other common color variant of CBPV (black butt, single stripe) were distinct bee varieties. We live in a forested area that is generally isolated.

At an open-feeder, I observed the black shiny type coming from a tree around .75km from our main yard, while the striped were coming from a state park and I never took the time to locate them.

When I started seeing these colorations in my hives at first I was excited, thinking perhaps feral bees which had survived many years were breeding into our bees. I actually argued that the black ones were A.m.m. But after several years I recanted, as there were numerous examples of CBPV online with the characteristic colors.

This spring I had one colony which troubled me, as 1/2 of the bees in a 6 over 6 frame nuc had the colors. When natural pollens came out, it cleared up a great deal. At this point I’ve probably seen several 100K bees with the virus at close range. I have yet to see a single bee trembling or disoriented.

I think the Russian bees (which were EU bees 100 years ago) are akin to Carnies and other dark bees, with cold weather adaptations (small winter clusters, 2-3 month broodless periods in winter, working cooler temps, etc.). I’m reasonably sure the CBPV affects their individual lifespans, but thus far they haven’t succumbed to it, or shown the behavioral manifestations I’ve see in some UK videos.

The virus has spread across the US (like everything else), but among the 40-50 beeks I talk with in an average season (not counting forums) no one has mentioned the trembling.

Decades ago I remember working at my dad’s sawmill. He had an engine which ran a large wood planer. Now and again the ignition points would get pitted or otherwise lose the configuration. The planer/engine would run flawlessly until I started planing a board, then it would sputter and choke like a different machine altogether. He said, “Flaws in a system will always show up under load.” Our success with bees which obviously have CBPV might possibly be fresh, varied pollen available almost continuously from late March until October. Perhaps there’s a nutritional component, and our bees are never “under load”. 🤔🐝

Hope this helps.

At an open-feeder, I observed the black shiny type coming from a tree around .75km from our main yard, while the striped were coming from a state park and I never took the time to locate them.

When I started seeing these colorations in my hives at first I was excited, thinking perhaps feral bees which had survived many years were breeding into our bees. I actually argued that the black ones were A.m.m. But after several years I recanted, as there were numerous examples of CBPV online with the characteristic colors.
and here we see demonstrated the correlation between disease spread and open feeding.

A quick update.
Returned to the hive today to see if it works
It does BUT the bees still seem to want to remove the corpses from below the funnel. I watched a dying bee fall from the funnel and an undertaker come and pick it up and take it away!
The bottom of the funnel is approx 12” from the ground.
I think the bees would go into the bag to retrieve the corpses as they would consider the bag part of their nest.
and maybe here we see the rationale of having a wide open space of fresh air? between the bottom of the frames and the floor beneath?

and maybe here we see the rationale of having a wide open space of fresh air? between the bottom of the frames and the floor beneath?
You may well be right but I get the feeling this would still happen with a complete opening.
I have the SBI coming for a visit on Tuesday ( not related to this problem) so will have a chat and remove the funnel and see if they still remove the corpses.

You may well be right but I get the feeling this would still happen with a complete opening
having observed a colony with CBPV left with a wide open floor, just a brood box sat on an empty shallow on an 18" stand over a month or two - I found that they didn't
I have the SBI coming for a visit on Tuesday ( not related to this problem) so will have a chat
Be careful - one or two of them are still in the shook swarm evangelising church and believes that it's the only cure for everything. If so, just smile, nod, wave them on their way, then ignore

Latest posts

Back