Solar Panel Storage Batteries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Banning the installation (and then no doubt use) of wood burners is already being mentioned. What makes me more infuriated than anything is the fact that our old barn is b***dy listed. It leaches heat, forget double glazing and the south facing roofing that could house 20 solar panels can’t be used for that. When will the Historic England/idiot Listed Building Officers wake up and smell the daisies? Rant over 😆 and have a good day everyone.
In this world of asinine computer planning, construction and building regulations; when you ask for permission, you’re asking them to consider all the possible negatives, including ones you are not aware of. Too often the result is indecision, and respective inaction, its a lot easier to apologise and ask forgiveness than to get permission these days.

In this world of asinine computer planning, construction and building regulations; when you ask for permission, you’re asking them to consider all the possible negatives, including ones you are not aware of. Too often the result is indecision, and respective inaction, its a lot easier to apologise and ask forgiveness than to get permission these days.
It’s what housing developers do regularly. Cutting down trees with preservation orders on them and so on. There was a case in Dorset where a developer built a house that wasn’t on the land he owned, which was next to a wood. He made a clearing, went ahead, apologised and came to an “understanding “ with the council. The house remains.
It will be really interesting to see how the powers that be negotiate around the new regulations, imposing compliance with the green agenda on so many old homes, which will be impossible to bring to the standard required.

.................................It will be really interesting to see how the powers that be negotiate around the new regulations, imposing compliance with the green agenda on so many old homes, which will be impossible to bring to the standard required.
I think the success of that relies on political will. That means being willing to commit time, energy, money and political energy to achieve it – currently I cant see any flavour of government willing to do that.

I know, stupid of us to buy it, but when we bought it 20 years ago this sort of thing was pretty far off our radar. If only I had had X Ray futuristic vision then, or could go back in time!! Now I just have to brace myself to try and speak to the listed building officer to see if they might agree to it. Delisting the house is a logistical NIGHTMARE!
Didn't know it was even a thing. How do you have a house delisted?

That often works but some councils are bloody minded enough to force demolition. It's a risk you take depending on depth of pockets

A friend of mine bought a listed 17th century building, the problem was in the 1960's someone had built a crappy extension before the house was listed, this meant that the extension was part of the listing (as the listing included everything on the site at the time of listing) so he had to get permission to do remedial work to it even though it wasn't part of the original house.

Didn't know it was even a thing. How do you have a house delisted?
With great difficulty. They will fight you every step of the way.
I lived in a grade 1* house, built in 1440 by the master of the rolls for Henry 5th and 6th
Not even allowed to paint the front door !

Your friend's situation sounds a bit like what I went through. I live in an old farmhouse, and when I wanted to add solar panels, I had to jump through a bunch of hoops due to the historical status of some outbuildings.

We ended up installing solar panels on a newer shed instead, and it’s been working great.

As for storage batteries, they're a lifesaver. I added a couple to my system, and now we store excess energy to use during cloudy days or at night. It's made a big difference, especially with the unpredictable weather we get here. Your friend might want to look into that if they’re dealing with similar restrictions and want to make the most of their solar setup!

Just an FYI to anyone with a sizeable battery storage on a really good set up

We use E.on Next

Charge up the 20kwh batteries overnight at 6.9 per kwh and obviously charge car/run dishwasher, washing machine etc during cheap rate 12-7am

Then set solar to ALWAYS export and not to charge batteries. EON pay 15p per kwh for the export tariff

With a big battery pack you always end up with charge at the end of the day and you have only paid 6.9 per kwh for all electricity used. Any solar created basically pays for itself twice over by exporting as opposed to charging. You end up with many days of free electricity in the summer!

Also much better for battery longevity as well as few charging cycles.

Our set up cost £15k three years ago. Already paid for itself in FULL and has 10-15 years of usable life ahead. It was a great investment

We are having an Eonn.next solar panel / battery system installed. The FIT is currently 40p/kwh for the 1st year.

We are having an Eonn.next solar panel / battery system installed. The FIT is currently 40p/kwh for the 1st year.
If you are in the UK you don't get FIT any more. You get SEG. and I would be snatching their hands off at 40p. I got 4p 7 years ago and that was good, I have now come off FIT and sell it back to Octopus at 15p but I still get money on top of that for every KwH generated.

If you are in the UK you don't get FIT any more. You get SEG. and I would be snatching their hands off at 40p. I got 4p 7 years ago and that was good, I have now come off FIT and sell it back to Octopus at 15p but I still get money on top of that for every KwH generated.
Thanks - Im still getting to grips with the abbreviations.

My solar array also generates about 30kWh per day on a sunny summer day and about 1kWh in Winter (but can be nothing or as high as 10). My average daily house use is about 12kWh. I had a Tesla battery fitted which has a capacity of 13.5kWh. I am on Octopus Intelligent go. In winter my battery charges overnight and runs the house the next day. In summer the excess goes into the car or hot water. Using the battery to timeshift means I (currently) never pay more than 7p a unit and my car either charges at that rate at night or for free in the day. My annual energy cost including gas central heating is just under £1000. I get credited about £300 for my excess generation so £700. That includes about 6000 miles charge on the car.

Is it saving me money once you include the cost of the panels and the battery? I calculated the break even point at 15 years before the energy crisis kicked in and now I think it is 12 or less.

I would say it is only worth doing if you can get on a tariff that allows you to time shift cheap overnight electric into the day. If you have an electric car and a smart charger it is very worthwhile (in my opinion) - 6000 miles at 50 mpg and diesel at £7 a gallon = £840 while my cost for equivalent electric to top up what I generate is less than £100. I would also recommend a controller that allows you to run off grid during a power cut as not all do

I do spend some of my spare time thinking about the weather and planning for what energy I will need over the next day or two - but then I monitor the weather as part of my beekeeping.

Edited to note this is for a 4 bedroom detached house for comparison

I looking at installing batteries to charge overnight and discharge during the day. I know several of you have similar systems so would be interested in knowing what you would recommend.
I already have 4kw of solar panels which produce approx 3000kwh/year.

Latest posts

Back