Solar heated hives to reduce varroa

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh dear ... Is there something in the water in Oxfordshire ? What a load of tripe ...

"First objective is to help tackle the decline in bee populations which is in part down to the parasitic Varroa mite. The pest is the main source of honeybee colony mortality worldwide and is usually treated with chemicals. Not only is the Varroa developing resistance to chemicals, but there is also evidence of chemical contamination in the honey produced. For this project, The Naturesave Trust has invested in 12 innovative Thermosolar beehives, a new beehive design that uses passive solar gain to elevate the internal hive temperature. This kills off the Varroa and leaves the bees unharmed. It also, importantly, avoids the use of any chemicals. The Solar Bee Project represents the world’s biggest rollout of this new thermosolar beehive technology."

So ... those of us who have been using polystyrene, well insulated hives already know the benefit of high temperature `/ high humidity contributing to a reduction in the ability of varroa to reproduce successfully ... but .. in order to kill varroa or eliminate them it requires a much higher temperature required than the bees can tolerate for long periods.

Oh well ... no doubt the forum will have fun with this ... I'll get the popcorn out.

Bees can and will control the temperature of the hive. If it gets too hot (rare in the UK with OMF) they will fan and if too cold then they cluster or use more of their stores. My simplistic belief is that polystyrene (and poly roof insulation) keeps heat in during winter and keeps it cooler in summer taking the highs and lows out of the system to a certain degree (pardon the pun). I see many beekeepers using polynucs but wooden hives for full colonies and have wondered why not poly all the way.

Bees can and will control the temperature of the hive. If it gets too hot (rare in the UK with OMF) they will fan and if too cold then they cluster or use more of their stores. My simplistic belief is that polystyrene (and poly roof insulation) keeps heat in during winter and keeps it cooler in summer taking the highs and lows out of the system to a certain degree (pardon the pun). I see many beekeepers using polynucs but wooden hives for full colonies and have wondered why not poly all the way.
Beekeepers don't change their ways very readily in general ... Poly hives have only been available since the 1970's ... give it a bit of time. 50 years is a blink of the eye in beekeeping terms.

I see many beekeepers using polynucs but wooden hives for full colonies and have wondered why not poly all the way.
Probably cost…. At least double the cost of wooden National hives and they are not without a few niggles and drawbacks.

I have some poly hives and I like them. The reason my recent purchases were wood were simply down to cost. Poly hives are very expensive at the moment. To be honest I much prefer working with wooden hives, getting that first frame out of a poly seems a pain. Wood looks better too.

I did notice a while back that snow melted faster on my Paynes poly roof than a wooden one with insulation board inside. Heat will be escaping faster on the walls of the wood hive though.

Latest posts

Back