Small hive beetle in mainland Europe.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ha.....they don't even know what they are eating, wonder if they even care what the Latin name of the bugs are.

Thought things were bad round 'our way', but we've not got to that stage yet!
I wonder what's really in this sausage?....:confused:

I remember my granddad wrapping the trunks of fruit trees with denzel tape to stop ants getting at the fruit, I don't know if it worked but worth a try.

Bumblebees as SHB host

In the literature I found only Bombus impatiens as a potential host for SHB in addition to honeybees. The distribution of B. impatiens extends only to the eastern part of North'America.

Do you know any scientific paper or reliable document that indicates that Bumblebees in Europe can be a host of SHB?

This can be crucial in containment or eradication strategies.

Last edited:
Got my sentinel beekeeper kit for 2015 on saturday. Comes complete with a better beetle blaster trap which you fill (ie not provided with kit) with veg oil laced with a little cider vineger. Lets hope I am not the first in UK to trap any SHB as I don't want my bees eliminated by the ministry (+ no compensation unless insured with BDI)

(+ no compensation unless insured with BDI)

And not much compensation then, considering the entire hives, bees, the lot, would be burnt, unless they have upped the insurance cover recently.

I'm feeling a lot better about this afrer a talk based on US methods. Apparently Beetle Jail and Beetle Baffler are the tools of choice. Plus with any luck our climate would/will be a challenge for them.

You got any links to this Jimmy?
This isn't a can you prove it Jimmy type reply...but genuine interest.

Well, both Professor Neumann and Franco Mutinelli did say in the spring convention that evidence from the first outbreak indicated it was well established and that it was there to stay.

Latest posts

Back