Small hive beetle in mainland Europe.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just came across a report about small hive beetle on Swiss / German beekeeping website

It says in the report.....

According to reports, it is the infected status to illegal imports. In this zone, the orange blossom is on, and the pollination funds are very lucrative, on the other hand, the penalties for breach of contract relatively high.

So are they saying the hives have been brought into the area ?

The beetles do better in light, sandy soil where they pupate easily. Heavier soils hinder that pupation.

Really, the only way to prevent beetles from entering the UK, is to stop importations from areas with beetles. From what I've read here on the forums, that isn't going to happen.

Thats exactly the sort of soil we have here :-(

I believe the ban was at EU level http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:32014D0909
Article 3
1. Italy shall ensure that the following protective measures are implemented in the areas listed in the Annex:

(a) a ban on the dispatch of consignments of the following commodities from the areas listed in the Annex to other areas of the Union:

(i) honey bees;

(ii) bumblebees;

(iii) unprocessed apiculture by-products;

(iv) beekeeping equipment;

(v) comb honey intended for human consumption;

And we all know how well the Europeans actually follow the EU regulations.

The frequency they are "discovering" them makes you wonder where else in Europe they already are....but aren't being "discovered", or perhaps not reported.....

Yes, maybe you have. But you don't have the temperatures.

I think we may in the far SW where it is rare to get a hard frost and snow stays for at most a day.
Not that I am concerned about having to deal with SHB, if or should I say when it gets here I am sure it can be dealt with just like varroa and other 'pests' are.
S

We are on high alert in the Costa del Portsmouthampton - sheltered by the IOW seaward and the South Downs landward .. rarely get any really harsh (lasting) weather over winter and we've got two very busy ports that handle a lot of commercial traffic from the continent ... it's not a case of if for us - more a matter of when.

How high do they need Michael?
We have had temperatures above 30C here over the last couple of years (for short periods) but this year hasn't been anywhere near that.

Well, South Carolina is an excellent breeding ground for SHB. Especially along the coast.....

South Carolina has a humid subtropical climate (Köppen climate classification Cfa), although high-elevation areas in the Upstate area have fewer subtropical characteristics than areas on the Atlantic coastline. In the summer, South Carolina is hot and humid, with daytime temperatures averaging between 86–93 °F (30–34 °C) in most of the state and overnight lows averaging 70–75 °F (21–24 °C) on the coast and from 66–73 °F (19–23 °C) inland. Winter temperatures are much less uniform in South Carolina.

Coastal areas of the state have very mild winters, with high temperatures approaching an average of 60 °F (16 °C) and overnight lows in the 40s°F (5–8 °C). Inland, the average January overnight low is around 32 °F (0 °C) in Columbia and temperatures well below freezing in the Upstate. While precipitation is abundant the entire year in almost the entire state, the coast tends to have a slightly wetter summer, while inland, March tends to be the wettest month and winter the driest season, with November being the driest month. The highest recorded temperature is 113 °F (45 °C) in Johnston and Columbia on June 29, 2012, and the lowest recorded temperature is −19 °F (−28 °C) at Caesars Head on January 21, 1985.

What is the northernmost point on the Eastern Seaboard where SHB needs aggressive measures, as opposed to being an ignorable nuisance? Do we know yet?

thats a good question although can't make a direct comparison with UK as our weather and temperatures are significantly modified by the Atlantic Gulf Stream which gives significantly warmer air than the same longitude in the States/Canada.

What is the northernmost point on the Eastern Seaboard where SHB needs aggressive measures, as opposed to being an ignorable nuisance? Do we know yet?

I posted a request about this on BeeSource.com. Replies are starting to come in. Rather than me trying to interpret the results or copy/paste to this forum, you can read it for yourself. You can get average temperatures on wiki if you search the state in question.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?318631-Are-SHB-a-Problem-in-Your-Area

Latest posts

Back