Small hive beetle in mainland Europe.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two more cases found that's 16 now

Yes, but who REALLY expected it to be a one year end to this story?

At the same date last year (15/10) they had 40 cases off far fewer inspections.

My Italian connections are of the opinion it is close to its climatic limit there and is more hanging on than prospering, and that none of the infested hives seemed to be in any way inconvenienced by it. The finds are all in the core area of the 2014 findings, no outward spread seen thus far.

One BFA apprentice returned from NSW Australia where they had been for work experience and reported seeing SHB in many many hives, and followed the usual UK panicky line, only to be told they had had them for ages, they were not a problem and not to worry about it. Far more suitable climate than anywhere in the UK too.

Its the soil temperature that's critical btw (no attempt to teach out US brethren to suck eggs btw, they KNOW what its like)....does not matter all that much what you daytime spikes in air temperature are. Soil temp at pupation depth is much more stable.

Its the soil temperature that's critical btw (no attempt to teach out US brethren to suck eggs btw, they KNOW what its like)....does not matter all that much what you daytime spikes in air temperature are. Soil temp at pupation depth is much more stable.

Soil type also plays a role.

Soil type also plays a role.

Of course, its more complex than a simple soil temperature issue, BUT UK soil temps are well on the low side for pupation. Numerous charts exist showing soil temperatures, and only in parts of southern Britain does it ever get into the range of 20C.

At least they are all contained within the same area, expect all will go quiet about them soon, until next autumns round up.

If you check you will see they have been hunting the area, and beyond, since spring and nothing found until about the same time as last year.

Theories seem to be abundant about sinister reasons for this, but the inspections have been happening as they want to get this right to protect trade for the rest of Italy. Last year they went on into December and resumed in spring, and my friends out there expect it to be the same again.

They are again suggesting it to be near its climatic limits and low or absent finds early season, then a flare up in autumn, could be due to pupation times being extremely long.

They also suggest that eradication will take several years if indeed it can ever happen.

Apparently there is compensation but its been very slow being paid and suggestions that the real scale of the problem may be being hidden by beekeepers not wanting to lose their livelihoods.

I am struggling to get my head round this.
The lifecycle of the SHB is between about 4-8 weeks depending on conditions.
Is it really possible therefore for there to be no discoveries of hive infestation for 9 months (between Dec 2014 - Sept 15) even though this encompasses the active part of the season?
Surely this is not possible is it? Or are the conditions for reproduction more stringent so has slowly built up to levels that is discovered. Or have people been keeping it quiet?
As I say I am really confused by what's going on there.

Is it really possible therefore for there to be no discoveries of hive infestation for 9 months (between Dec 2014 - Sept 15) even though this encompasses the active part of the season?
Or have people been keeping it quiet?
The suspicion is that it may well have been seen but selective vision may only have seen it after this years crop of honey has been harvested. The Italians are pretty practical,....get harvest then get compensation.

We deal with SHB in central California. They become just another pest to deal with.

- Keeping an eye on comb to bee ratio always helps. The bees can generally keep them under control if they don't have patrol an area too big inside the hive.

- Any weak hive with an extra frame of honey is potentially a huge liability - SHB will come in from miles away once they smell other larvae getting a start. The SHB larvae will chew through comb, honey and even brood. You end up with a beetle bomb.

- Once a hive gets to a tipping point, it gets 'slimed', which is a really nasty affair. You must take out the bees on healthy comb immediately and get them in a different box before they abscond. The SHB larva excrete a nasty substance that upsets the bees, ferments the honey and ends up oozing out the front of the hive.

This can happen fast too - just this past summer I gave a nuc a frame of honey to help it grow, but made the above mistakes, and within a week, the hive was slimed.

SHB is manageable, just need to keep an eye on the hive and be aware.

Soil temperature measurements at Edinburgh Royal Botanic Gardens demonstrated that the beetle would easily overwinter in most of the UK
This data was assessed by the Science and advice for Scottish agricultural service bee unit and discussed at an SBA meeting last year. (You can go on the ERBG website & check the data )

Unfortunately therefore it's a myth to say that the soil temps in the UK will thwart the beetle.

This was banded about prior to the arrival of Varroa!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obvious question here. I saw on my Facebook page yesterday pictures of rows of hives aflame because of small hive beetle.(obviously in Italy) Thinking that small hive beetle only eat the contents of the hive and not the hive then why are the hives being burned? Or does the burning procedure work bette if their torched whilst in the hive?
Surely they can be cleaned out and re used?? excuse me if someone has already answered this!!

Surely they can be cleaned out and re used
I would have thought so but I don't really know. Perhaps the destruction order involves the hives as well.
What I would like to know is what is the point?
How can they control beetle in the feral population?
Why not let the poor beekeepers treat and control?
Pointless!
Is this going to happen here?

Surely they can be cleaned out and re used?? excuse me if someone has already answered this!!

It appears to be different policy by country legislation. I think Switzerland has plans to deep freeze all equipment to kill off any eggs etc and not destroy.
Alas I fear the UK won't be so lucky, it's slash and burn. I pity the first beekeeper who reports it and his surrounding colleagues

I think at the moment the burning policy is currentlyas much a drastic measure to try and eradicate the beetle completely before it takes hold in the country, but I'm afraid in my opinion, it's way too late and it's there to stay. I spoke to our RBI after a talk i wqas doing a few months ago and he was of the same opinion as me, that once SHB has been established here in the UK it would make sense to change the policy and rather learn to live with it.

Obvious question here. I saw on my Facebook page yesterday pictures of rows of hives aflame because of small hive beetle.(obviously in Italy) Thinking that small hive beetle only eat the contents of the hive and not the hive then why are the hives being burned? Or does the burning procedure work bette if their torched whilst in the hive?

The beetles in Italy appear to be a in area where the spread has been very much slowed by the geography. I suspect this is why they are still burning because it is localised - it's cheap and fast.

Latest posts

Back