Small hive beetle in mainland Europe.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think at the moment the burning policy is currentlyas much a drastic measure to try and eradicate the beetle completely before it takes hold in the country, but I'm afraid in my opinion, it's way too late and it's there to stay. I spoke to our RBI after a talk i wqas doing a few months ago and he was of the same opinion as me, that once SHB has been established here in the UK it would make sense to change the policy and rather learn to live with it.

Interestingly the solution to invasive species is probably gene silencing sich as they are trying with the mosquitoes.

The ability to target specific species hopefully one day will allow us to remove these species from non native ecosystems.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...reated-using-controversial-genetic-technology

Obvious question here. I saw on my Facebook page yesterday pictures of rows of hives aflame because of small hive beetle.(obviously in Italy) Thinking that small hive beetle only eat the contents of the hive and not the hive then why are the hives being burned? Or does the burning procedure work bette if their torched whilst in the hive?
Surely they can be cleaned out and re used?? excuse me if someone has already answered this!!

Don't know but guess it is to kill as many beetles/larva as possible. Once discovered sealing up and burning kills everything without question.

If you try to clean hives I suppose it is possible beetles will escape and go to other hives.

Interestingly the solution to invasive species is probably gene silencing sich as they are trying with the mosquitoes.

The ability to target specific species hopefully one day will allow us to remove these species from non native ecosystems.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/...reated-using-controversial-genetic-technology

For all the parakeets around us as shotgun would be easier. Only in the last few years have they got to us. Now everywhere -surely must affect some native species

For all the parakeets around us as shotgun would be easier. Only in the last few years have they got to us. Now everywhere -surely must affect some native species

I have those noisy fuc ..... erm ..... creatures in my garden as well.

Surely they can be cleaned out and re used
I would have thought so but I don't really know. Perhaps the destruction order involves the hives as well.
What I would like to know is what is the point?
How can they control beetle in the feral population?
Why not let the poor beekeepers treat and control?
Pointless!
Is this going to happen here?

Yes indeed!! We certainly have Varroa in wild and Feral populations. Its believed to be one of two reasons why a pocket or outbreak of AFP takes a long time to clear up. so I am sure there must be small hive beetle larvae chewing their way in to wild colonies!! You hit the nail on the head there Erichalfbee!!
I would imagine if your faced with a heavy outbreak, and you have the possibility of compensation for old hives, that perhaps are "past there best", then a burning "effigy" would probably be more appropriate.
And by saying that, i am certainly empathising with these poor guys who have lost years of work. But like many are saying and have said, it will arrive here eventually in to northern europe. We will cope with it. another few years though without it would be better i say!! I am hoping that the Alps are a large enough obstacle to keep them at bay for a while!

Alas you need to be a member of that forum to see the picture. I'm assuming it was a lot though!

attachment.php

FIFY

Are they edible... and if so do they repeat on you?

I was lead to believe that SHB irradication involved sterilising all the soil around the apiary.... imported soil and plants will be the way the SHB will get into the UK?

Yeghes da

Originally Posted by beebot View Post

Are they edible... and if so do they repeat on you?
There is a recipe in Mrs Beeton's cook book which calls for a dozen parakeets

Latest posts

Back