Small hive beetle in mainland Europe.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dr Jamie Ellis was recently in the UK talking about SHB. He went from the University of Florida to South Africa to study the beasties in their original habitat, so has more than passing aquaintance. He tells of some live specimens they had in their second floor lab (IIRC). Returning one morning they found larvae crawling all the way down the concrete stairs and out the door seeking ground to pupate in. In practice, a) a good stretch of concrete is not a barrier and b) they usually set off under cover of darkness.

Concrete under the hives would have to be as wide as a major runway to have much effect, and chickens might pick off some but most will get past in the dark.

I'm paraphrasing as I recall it but his general message was that, in the US at least, beekeepers have learnt to live with SHB. They do well in warmer climates with moist soil. While we in the UK can provide moist soil they're actually likely to be more of a problem long term in Italy. Much as they're a greater pest in the southern US states such as Florida and Georgia than they are further North. What beekepers in the US do is keep numbers down with one or more of various traps sold commercially or home made, you can see them listed by US based suppliers like ML. Keep the empty space in the hive down to a minimum and the bees can keep limited numbers of beetles under control themselves.

BTW: Latest Italian numbers show a few more detected as of 21 Nov, extending the Southern boundary of the original outbreak area in Calabria. Still only the one apiary in Sicily. http://www.izsvenezie.it/index.php?...al-situation&catid=119:-beekeeping&Itemid=893

I wonder if a raised lip around a concrete stand would work, can they climb up vertical barriers?

At this rate the hive will look like a prison camp.

Moats filled with Formaldehyde perhaps?

No. Just an observation after reading the account of them going down steps etc. If they can't climb there would be an opportunity to explore a way of blocking them from somewhere to pupate.

I was not suggesting it as a solution in itself, as such a structure would turn into a pond in wet weather requiring complicated drainage that would not let them out.

The BBKA appear to be ignoring the 2009 analysis from the National Bee Unit that "The pathway likely to present the greatest risk of introduction was the movement and importation of honey bees" … this comes from an evidence-based risk assessment for SHB (PDF download). BBKA members need to bring this to the attention of their local association who, in turn, should try and influence the BBKA. In the NBU documentation on SHB they conclude that “Its [SHB] arrival in the United Kingdom would pose a significant threat to the long-term sustainability and economic prosperity of beekeeping and, as a consequence, to agriculture and the environment through disruption to pollination services”.

Far better we prevent it getting here in the first place than we start concreting our apiaries and building moats filled with boiling oil …

The BBKA appear to be ignoring the 2009 analysis from the National Bee Unit that "The pathway likely to present the greatest risk of introduction was the movement and importation of honey bees" … this comes from an evidence-based risk assessment for SHB (PDF download). BBKA members need to bring this to the attention of their local association who, in turn, should try and influence the BBKA. In the NBU documentation on SHB they conclude that “Its [SHB] arrival in the United Kingdom would pose a significant threat to the long-term sustainability and economic prosperity of beekeeping and, as a consequence, to agriculture and the environment through disruption to pollination services”.

Far better we prevent it getting here in the first place than we start concreting our apiaries and building moats filled with boiling oil …

Like :)

What is the procedure for raising an "Emergency Motion" at the ADM? / The normal resolution submission date having long passed.

600 hundred will have Little effect as it is less than one vote per constituency, i am sure you could get 600 signature for almost anything if you knocked door to door, people sign just to get rid of you

One problem is that the petition is not an official 38 degrees sponsored petition so it won't go out to their "big list" of email addys until it reaches a threshold or enough people push for it from them. Most of the signatures so far are from Beekeepers (of all persuasions) and not the general public. It's easy to be cynical about these things but its also important to say no when it needs said. Currently nudging towards the 700 mark.

The steady drip fills the bucket

Thanks to everyone whose taken time to sign & those BKAs who are supporting it

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-small-hive-beetle-spreading-to-britain

Moats filled with Formaldehyde perhaps?

i was thinking putting the stand legs of a hive into an oil bath so the SHB caterpillars end up it the oil and die

but having tried simple oil baths to stop ants, the oil overflows if it rains

However Steam engines often have wet oilers with the oil contained in a cylinder in a wet bath. see the diagram, these retain the oil even if you pour water on the oil it is retained in the cylinder but the water self levels

Last edited:
i was thinking putting the stand legs of a hive into an oil bath so the SHB caterpillars end up it the oil and die

but having tried simple oil baths to stop ants, the oil overflows if it rains

However Steam engines often have wet oilers with the oil contained in a cylinder in a wet bath. see the diagram, these retain the oil even if you pour water on the oil it is retained in the cylinder but the water self levels

HAve you tried setting the oil alight?

Read a few articles about farming wax moths, they seem to be quite popular, maybe the SHB could also be farmed in a similar way, but not found any info about this yet.

http://www.uk-waxworms.co.uk/waxworm_information.php

You would think the outer shell of the SHB could be full of protein.

Apparently their is a restraint in West London that pays 10p per live drone I think they are off the menu and only fore special guests but........

Oh Thomas........I don't believe it!!!! But it doesn't surprise me.
I had a google but couldn't find anything.

Oh Thomas........I don't believe it!!!! But it doesn't surprise me.
I had a google but couldn't find anything.

It's true we have a beekeeper at my association who collects drones from time to time and takes them to the restaurant but keeps the name to himself. He tells me they never refuse and are always asking him for drones. If you think about it you could make more money from the drones than honey. I have thought about it as my hives have 1000's of drones but just could not do it.

It actually makes me shiver.
People die for a scrap of something from a tip while others eat drones in their pudding.............
Let them eat cake?

Give it 20 or 30 years and eating insect protein will be much more mainstream as meat and fish become much more expensive.
Its a cultural thing. In Zambia, the rainy season's crop of grasshoppers provides a tasty treat (I was told - but didn't personally confirm) as well as an abundance of freely-foragable protein.

Latest posts

Back