Small head disease.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hivemaker.

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
This spreading disease looks to becoming a serious problem, think perhaps another Doctor William Gorgas is needed, to get a scheme up and running to control the Mosquitoes.

Brazil is experiencing the largest known outbreak of Zika, with most cases in the north-east. Others have been detected in the south-east, an area which includes Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo.
There has been a sharp rise in the number of cases of Zika in several other Latin American countries.

In Colombia, more than 13,500 cases have been reported, and the country's health minister has advised women there to delay pregnancy.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued initial travel warnings to pregnant women last week, adding eight more places to the list on Friday. The warnings now extend to

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-35385829

Seems to have been an endemic viral disease in Brazil for some years as seem to recall microcephalitis? being associated with Chagrin disease.. spread by bed bugs.
Some believe that Darwin eventually succumbed to Chagrin caught in Brazil.
Mosquito and other biting insects are a major vector of many viral diseases... what we need is a new DDT... that is properly tested and managed... some hope!

Yeghes da

.. some hope!

Yeghes da

Sadly, NO hope ...the mossie is an infliction on mainly third world countries who cannot afford to pay for the massive programmes it would take to solve or at least reduce the problem .. Pharmaceutical companies spend their R & D Budgets on seeking products that will earn them big bucks ... Cynical ? Me ? Never ...

I recall Bill Gates a few years ago stating that his foundation would seek to eliminate malaria but all I've seen in that direction is a high tech laser that zaps mosquitos - a real third world friendly solution . NOT !!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chagas_disease

Probably also causes Chagrin syndrome!
... although that was a typo by me as I have been reading up on Anaphalaxis and subsequent shock caused by insect stings.... although allergic reactions with similar effects are now being reported to grass pollen and fungal spores.

Yeges da

Never mind the immediate problem, it being confined to lesser rich economies, think a few years ahead if/when climate change really takes hold with a vengeance. Mozzies may well rule the world unless some defence to the disease is forthcoming.

Zika is showing up in the States...people who had travelled in infected regions. Well, it spread from Uganda to Brazil, and is now well established where the Olympics will be held later this year. Now they've found cases in Florida, and I guess it's just a matter of time before it is endemic in that tropical state.

Time for our governments to donate the funds to develop a vaccine.

The spread of the Asian tiger mosquito is the real issue, that's the vector for the spread of Zika & Dengue.

That mosquito only fly's around 100 meters from it's hatching site, so disposing of standing water is the key to control in populated areas.

I caught Dengue fever on a trip to Antigua a few years back, bloody awful experience. The locals seem to insist on having all sorts of recepticles with water in strewn around, full of mozzies !

The locals seem to insist on having all sorts of recepticles with water in strewn around, full of mozzies !

This was one of the problems when they were killing the mozzies to eradicate Malaria and yellow fever during the building of the Panama canal, but they succeeded with the knowledge and drive of Doctor William Gorgas and the backing of president Theodore (Teddy) Roosevelt.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/features/general-article/panama-fever/

We also managed to eradicate another of the biggest killers of all time from the face of the earth, Smallpox.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smallpox

Sounds like many of their heads are already quite small, could be the happy times for the zika virus.

The Zika virus isn't scaring away Brazil's Carnival revelers and the country's hotels are reporting higher bookings than last year.
Over 1 million tourists are expected to come to Rio de Janeiro for Carnival, bringing in close to 3 billion Brazilian reals ($764 million) to Rio's economy.

The Zika virus has also failed to put a dent in the annual Carnival celebrations in Recife, the northeastern city at the center of the Zika health crisis. Hotels in the area have hit 93% occupancy.
Up to 910,000 visitors are expected in Recife -- up 12% from last year -- and about one in five visitors will come from outside Brazil.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/02/05/news/zika-virus-brazil-carnival-rio-carnaval-travel/

The worst health scare in recent history is not keeping Brazilians from their annual Carnival revelry, with millions of partiers swarming streets and some making fun of the mosquito that spreads Zika and other viruses.

Street processions, block parties and the televised, big-budget parades that are the hallmark of the festival moved into their second day on Sunday, even as Brazilian health officials continued to grapple with an outbreak that may have infected as many as 1.5 million people and could be linked to suspected deformations in more than 4,000 infants and unborn children.

Last edited:
AS heard on our "news" there was registered case in Austria. And now they say it also can be transffered by blood transfusion and sexual..
I don't get the part " there is no cure for it", do they mean if you get it once you carry it as long you live as HIV?

Smallpox has not been completely eradicated, there are still two vials of smallpox kept in case in the future they can be used as a vaccine against something else.

According to the latest briefing we've had in work there is 'very limited' emerging evidence that it can be sexually transmitted and no evidence to suggest it can be transferred by normal social contact.

According to the latest briefing we've had in work there is 'very limited' emerging evidence that it can be sexually transmitted and no evidence to suggest it can be transferred by normal social contact.

It may also depend on the 'type' of sexual activity and whether 'open wounds' are involved in this process. (like HIV suseptability). Also these are mainly RC countries where 'safe sex' is limited due to religeous doctrin. I could expand,but this is a 'family' forum...... No one is 'sure' of much yet.:)

I don't get the part " there is no cure for it", do they mean if you get it once you carry it as long you live as HIV?

It's a bit like a cold Goran there is no 'cure' as such - in a normal healthy adult you feel unwell for a few days with flu like symptoms then you get better, the virus only stays in your body for a few days to a week. The problems are only if the person who has the virus is pregnant.
Thus far there has been one case where it may have been transmitted by sexual contact so no proof there, same as being spread by blood transfusion it's very much in the surmise stage - another handy bit of bad news for the tories to use to distract the great unwashed though

Latest posts

Back