Simon the beekeeper closing down sale

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
managed to get in yesterday and order another pile of castellations to continue my rolling replacement of the flimsy beehive bits ones I have in some boxes - also noticed they had stainless steel round nuc entrance disks for 50p each so added a pile of those to the cart - I've still got quite a few of the original Maises disks on my nucs and, together with the fact that the queen excluder setting won't even let worker bees out, they are warping so sometimes bees can squeeze out when the disk is closed

managed to get in yesterday and order another pile of castellations to continue my rolling replacement of the flimsy beehive bits ones I have in some boxes - also noticed they had stainless steel round nuc entrance disks for 50p each so added a pile of those to the cart - I've still got quite a few of the original Maises disks on my nucs and, together with the fact that the queen excluder setting won't even let worker bees out, they are warping so sometimes bees can squeeze out when the disk is closed
You were lucky ... I tried to order some more for a few of my supers (Paynes poly supers come with plain runners) and they came up as out of stock ...They are currrently in Paynes sale at £2.88 down from £3.20 but they are firm ones not the flimsy bendy things.

I did seriously consider the nuc entrance discs, but decided I'd 3d print them instead.

James

Another pan vapouriser would have been good as a back up though O of S, the Enolapi is good value , a more robust/rigid device so have decide to opt to buy one at 50% off and few other niknaks.
At £45 the Enolapi price is one I can't refuse, they may yet get discounted a bit more nearer final store closure ( if any left in stock) .

Last edited:
Just noticed that there are pieces of mesh for Langstroth floors on sale now, though £3 each rather than the £1.50 for the National ones. They're 490mm x 380mm, which I'd suggest is perfectly acceptable for a National UFE type floor given a bit of trimming. The offcut is likely to be large enough to be useful for other purposes too (closing off the entrance of a bait hive, for instance?).

I'm slightly tempted... Not as tempted as I would be if they were also £1.50 though :D

James

Just noticed that there are pieces of mesh for Langstroth floors on sale now, though £3 each rather than the £1.50 for the National ones. They're 490mm x 380mm, which I'd suggest is perfectly acceptable for a National UFE type floor given a bit of trimming. The offcut is likely to be large enough to be useful for other purposes too (closing off the entrance of a bait hive, for instance?).

I'm slightly tempted... Not as tempted as I would be if they were also £1.50 though :D

James
Still better than the original sale price i
Paid a week or so ago of 4 quid.
Anyway as hardly any Bee keepers seem to agree 100% as to what is best for the bees a full OMF or a solid floor I’m probably going to compromise and get two floors per sheet by having half mesh.
Advisory but preferably not patronising comments welcome from the more informed and experienced would be welcomed.

For me it is a ufe that ends up with a 3/4 mesh floor for vaping under neath.

Last edited:
I’m not a big fan of complete open mesh and even on occasion when I’ve had them the best set up I’ve found is sitting then on an old rotten box. Even small mesh areas aid the bees in winter just getting all the junk out.
I’ve just made a batch of ufe and they have the full mesh but will sit on 8x2 boxes/frame so they are effectively closed. The bonus is a small hole in the rear will enable me to vape.

I’m not a big fan of complete open mesh and even on occasion when I’ve had them the best set up I’ve found is sitting then on an old rotten box. Even small mesh areas aid the bees in winter just getting all the junk out.
I’ve just made a batch of ufe and they have the full mesh but will sit on 8x2 boxes/frame so they are effectively closed. The bonus is a small hole in the rear will enable me to vape.
Thanks, a good insight.

A few of my mesh floors are half size with the UFE opening half way back
I have three colonies on solid floors this winter...one last year. The colony came into spring really well with a spotless floor.

I bagged myself two of the Defender bee suits for £40 each. Absolute bargain at that price if the reviews are anything to go by. I've got two Sweinty Breeze suits on the way, so the STB suits will be backups and for guests.

I also added a spare hive tool, uncapping tool, uncapping knife and double honey strainer.

There wasn't a lot else tempting me.

Today the Langstroth mesh was reduced to £1. Colour me very tempted. I did leave a few for other people though :D

James

Today the Langstroth mesh was reduced to £1. Colour me very tempted. I did leave a few for other people though :D

James
Darn! Missed that one.

Dropped by in the afternoon as I was passing (ish) and said thank you (people are too quick to complain and too slow to praise in my view) for good service over the years. They've been completely inundated with orders but still took time to have a chat with me.

My order arrived within a few days, though obviously running out of boxes. Mine came in a rather larger over sized one stuffed with lots of brown paper wadding.

Same here, stocked up on a couple of spare jackets, smokers, tools etc that I have at each apiary.
I bought the professional jackets as they had run out of the 3 layer ones in my size. £18 is a snip.

Back