Too early to close down for winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkS

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Am in a fix - large colonies - honey taken off- but is it too early to close hives down for winter? Ie one leave one super back on, take off queen excluder snd put one super under brood. It feels too early and loads of bees- when do people start to close hives down for winter- it’s getting much colder this week? Do I close them down now or leave them until October? Not taking any more honey off them this year?

why nadir one super and replace one on top?
Nadiring a shallow is sufficient - no need to have a super as well.
just 'shut them down' as you put it - nadir any supers that have unsealed stores in, extract the rest, treat the bees then start feeding them.

My supers have been off for a couple of weeks now but I don't use the term closing them down. I prepare them for winter during the next 4 - 5 weeks, food I make sure they have but not copious to prevent the queen laying up the winter brood bees. Treatment for mine is over having been given their third vape tail end of last week though likely will get a one off vape in 5 or 6 weeks to re- check for any mite increase.
As long as they have feed and the stores are monitored I shall leave off any feeding just yet.

why nadir one super and replace one on top?
Nadiring a shallow is sufficient - no need to have a super as well.
just 'shut them down' as you put it - nadir any supers that have unsealed stores in, extract the rest, treat the bees then start feeding them.
Nadir? Was only going to put one full super back on under the brood box- but just feel it’s too early

Ok my bad - poor english just keeping one full super which I was going to under brood. Wahts the difference between shallow and super please? Basic question do I move to winter formation nadir now?

Wahts the difference between shallow and super please?
a shallow is a shallow box (14 x 51/2 frames) as opposed to a deep (14 x 81/2) or a jumbo (14 x 12) if any of those are put on top of the brood box they become a super.

Thanks so much for your help i’m new to all of this

Ok my bad - poor english just keeping one full super which I was going to under brood
Why put a full super underneath for winter? Seems to be a fad on social media beekeeping groups
Leave it on top where the bees have put it themselves. If they wanted the honey underneath them that's where they would have put it. All you're making them do is move it up.
Bees do not want their winter stores unguarded at the entrance
Take the QX off. If the queen is up there at first inspection, put her down in the bottom box and replace the QX

when do people start to close hives down for winter
new to all of this
You must resist the temptation to be led by the decisions of others, because what might work for my bees in my area (where are you?) is unlikely to be useful to you in another area.

To think of closing hives for winter suggests you want a fixed plan that gives a straightforward answer, but such certainty does not exist. Better to assess the weather, colony strength and weight of stores as we go through September, and adapt as you go.

For example, bees will will forage strongly if ivy flowers well in September and October and extra feeding may not be needed. Depending on your varroa treatment, the super of honey you leave may be tainted and if it is still there in spring it cannot be used for human consumption. Why not extract that £300 of honey and feed instead £30 of syrup or fondant?

getting much colder this week
The drop in temperature this week is nowhere near winter! More accurately, it is ideal late-summer weather for ivy, so watch the flowers and heft the hives once a week: one hand at the back, lift an inch, you'll get the idea. By October it should be difficult to lift.

It feels too early
Then it probably is.

Last edited:
My supers have been off for a couple of weeks now but I don't use the term closing them down. I prepare them for winter during the next 4 - 5 weeks, food I make sure they have but not copious to prevent the queen laying up the winter brood bees. Treatment for mine is over having been given their third vape tail end of last week though likely will get a one off vape in 5 or 6 weeks to re- check for any mite increase.
As long as they have feed and the stores are monitored I shall leave off any feeding just yet.
Thanks so much for your help i’m new to all of this
Thanks everyone - lots if common sense - really helps to have someone to talk to!

You must resist the temptation to be led by the decisions of others, because what might work for my bees in my area (where are you?) is unlikely to be useful to you in another area.

Then it probably is.
For example early October here can be extremely busy with bearding on the hives. ... We have lots of ivy around here and depending on its sugar yield it can fill supers readily.... but just down the road it can be a different story.

Latest posts

Back