Is the Dave-Cushman beekeeping website down?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty Brown

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10 hives using the rose hive method with national brood boxes.
Hi,

Is the Dave Cushman beekeeping website down? I have been trying for the last 6 months to get on it but every time I try it says Site Not Found.
I hope the problem will be fixed as it was a great website for beekeeping.

Thanks.

Hi,

Is the Dave Cushman beekeeping website down? I have been trying for the last 6 months to get on it but every time I try it says Site Not Found.

Thanks.
It works for me.

You could try switching off your internet filter and see if that makes a difference. I was unable to get on a website selling paint and assumed it was down. It wasn't. Goodness knows what the filter found to object to o_O

You could try switching off your internet filter and see if that makes a difference. I was unable to get on a website selling paint and assumed it was down. It wasn't. Goodness knows what the filter found to object to o_O
This is would happens when I go to the Dave Cushman site. It says Site Not Found. I first presumed it was down but I now see that it works fine with a different browser.

Attachments

• Screenshot (75).png
    Screenshot (75).png
    97.3 KB · Views: 1
I get a warning:

"The connection to www.dave-cushman.net is not secure
You are seeing this warning because this site does not support HTTPS."

But then I have an option to continue to the site anyway. It maybe you have a chrome setting enabled that blocks non HTTPS sites entirely.

If Roger is reading this over his breakfast, I believe there are ways to get HTTPS without paying the extortionate rates for an SSL certificate (e.g. Let's Encrypt ), but other than that I know nothing about such things. I have heard that Google doesn't like to show non HTTPS sites in its search results.

Check if your anti virus is set to "Secure search" I use Mcaffee, and it changes my search prefernces to "Secure search" when "Er indoors" does a search on her PC.. I also had a problem with Google doing the same.

Sorry!!

Tried again on a different browser and it works fine now.
Chrome does not seem to support the website for a strange reason.

Thanks for your help.
opens on chrome for me I get the not secure warning then it opens

Hi,

Thanks.
Hi Matty,
This is probably me teaching you to suck eggs (though I’m assuming you’re not my grandma 🤔) but that can happen if you don’t refresh the browser page when you reload. To save downloading it again (I suppose to save time) your browser might load the last saved page from its cache which might result in you forever seeing the same problem. It can also stop you seeing any updates made to a page since your last visit - something that foxed me years ago when working on my wife’s art gallery site - lots of new paintings posted, nothing showing when I reviewed it in the browser - until I refreshed - then ‘voila!’. Hope this is of some help.

I believe there are ways to get HTTPS without paying the extortionate rates for an SSL certificate (e.g. Let's Encrypt ), but other than that I know nothing about such things.
I can now add a bit more info.

One of my winter projects is to set up a simple static (old school like dave-cushman.net) website. Because it is static there are quite a few cheap if not free options. If anybody wants to do similar, the following will give you a secure https address:

If you want a custom domain name (web address) then you probably do have to pay at some point for that, but there are deals to be had like first year free on a multi year sign up, or first year for £1.20 if you just want to commit for a single year. The usual price is in the £15 - £18 range per year. Shop around for the best deal. Don't pay extra for SSL as this is provided for free by the site hosting service.

If you want absolutely no cost, then GitHub pages maybe okay for you. It has to be a website for a non commercial project. The web address would be "yourname.github.io". It's supposed to be used with the Jekyll static site generator (fancy blogging sites with themes), but this can easily be bypassed so you can use it to host standard html files. For it to be free you also have to use a public repository, but that is no big deal since your website is public anyway.

Other hosting options include netlify, vercel and kinsta. All provide free static hosting as long as you stay within limits, for example, serve less than 100GB a month. These can be used for commercial purposes. You can upload a zip of html files to netlifty, the others I think need to be linked to something like GitHub. This time you can use a private repository. To the non techie the GitHub instructions can at first appear intimidating, but you can do it all from the GitHub web page without looking at fancy commands.

A custom domain that you've purchased separately can be used with the free hosting services provided by GitHub pages, netlifty, vercel and kinsta.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back