Show us Pictures of your Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Press gang the missus into taking the shots .Good god man she cost you 7s 6d plus the rest of your earnings for life, make her work for it !!!!!

Can I use hubby for the same reasons?? I've had him 25 years...about time he came in useful...Sorry, beloved - I didn't really write that...

Press gang the missus into taking the shots .Good god man she cost you 7s 6d plus the rest of your earnings for life, make her work for it !!!!!

Can I use hubby for the same reasons?? I've had him 25 years...about time he came in useful...Sorry, beloved - I didn't really write that...

you had best edit you post quick before someone quotes it and it's there forever

OH, sorry :D

Oh! yes you did :reddevil:

John Wilkinson

I read a guide to doing the basic bee keeping exam that suggested keeping the smoker close to hand, like between your knees. I'll see if I can find it

Yates in his Basic Certificate "Beekeeping study notes" does state a preference for it. He would be the one with the kippered nadgers then . . .

I wouldn't fancy it lol......I could be on fire for a good half hour before i noticed with the amount of layers i am starting to wear :p

Its hard to keep street cred when you are dressed up in a beesuit. Let alone having smoke issuing from your A**e as well.
:willy_nilly:

Its hard to keep street cred when you are dressed up in a beesuit. Let alone having smoke issuing from your A**e as well.
:willy_nilly:

lmao, good job I am contained to an allotments...although I have been known to walk home in suit minus veil. I have that much to carry as the shed hasn't arrived on the site yet so all equipment lives at my house and gets traipsed back and forth, and I carry enough suits for six, plus other equipment...good job I saved the pram from the kids

As you have charge of more colonies, then lots of layers get to be a bit bothersome in the high summer. It's one reason why bee keepers have this concept of summer weight and winter weight. Eating, sleeping and inactivity in the winter and frenetic, sweaty work in the summer.

Don't ask me how, but the girls will just know when you have shucked off that extra protection. As they must wait around for you squatting and the bee suit becoming taught at the back of your thigh, for what seems like only seconds, but long enough to make an irresistible target it seems . . .

As you have charge of more colonies, then lots of layers get to be a bit bothersome in the high summer. It's one reason why bee keepers have this concept of summer weight and winter weight. Eating, sleeping and inactivity in the winter and frenetic, sweaty work in the summer.

Don't ask me how, but the girls will just know when you have shucked off that extra protection. As they must wait around for you squatting and the bee suit becoming taught at the back of your thigh, for what seems like only seconds, but long enough to make an irresistible target it seems . . .

I have thought of this, and as we have one colony so far ( maybe two come next year I'm told ) I'll see how bareable my current set up is. I'd prefer to cook than be stung I think. I think I may have built it up to be this horrendous experience, and I am almost looking forward to my first sting to get it out of the way....probably not anywhere near as bad as I think it will be, but still would like to hold off as long as possible lol.....cos I'm a wimp :p

More pictures of the Sussex mob - they seem very small, very black, are very lively and active and have been working hard to settle in. Any ideas as to origin? Currently getting quite a dark yellow pollen in some quantities.

bees2.jpg

bees1.jpg

Last edited:
I got a cast about 6 weeks ago. very late but I housed it and I want to try and get it through Winter. Here is my blog entry on them, with pictures from yesterday as I added some honey for them

click here

More pictures of the Sussex mob - they seem very small, very black, are very lively and active and have been working hard to settle in. Any ideas as to origin? Currently getting quite a dark yellow pollen in some quantities.
The dark yellow pollen will probably be be ivy, you may also notice a stong medicinal smell from the hive. As to origin of the bees I would suspect they are some sort of local mongrel. I would concentrate on their qualities and if they get through the winter and are productive and well behaved next year then what more do you want?

I have decided. The really yellow bees scare me. I like the darker ones. I don't know why, maybe it's my phobia creeping back in to anything that doesn't look like our bees.

What is the general temperament of Italian bees? How do they cope with the british climate, particularly the north?

What are those Sussex bees on?
Whatever it is, are they allowed to smoke at work or is this one on a 'fag break"?

What does a sting feel like?

Kaz, I had a funny experience speaking to a young lady doctor recently. The conversation turned to bee stings and she asked, "What does a bee sting feel like"? I fixed her with a cheeky smile and said, "You know when you are just about to give someone an injection and say to them that this will just sting a little bit"? I think that was her aha moment . . .

Hiving a swarm the `slow` way. Have a look at this rather impromptu video of my sons first running in of a swarm.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s367VyG9us[/ame]
He captured the action quite well considering it was taken on his mobile, and he got pretty close to the action. Its always a wonderful sight, to see the girls adopt a new home! - Roll on next spring!

Hiving a swarm the `slow` way. Have a look at this rather impromptu video of my sons first running in of a swarm.
He captured the action quite well considering it was taken on his mobile, and he got pretty close to the action. Its always a wonderful sight, to see the girls adopt a new home! - Roll on next spring!

Great video

Old King Cole was a merry old soul,
he had 10,000 men.
He marched them up to the top of the hill,

Latest posts

Back