Your highlights of the season.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
,Tricky season with the spring weather we have had plus queen mating very unreliable. So, never mind the winter it was great to get all six colonies queenright and really strong and getting all of them ready for winter - all fed and varroa treated. About 320lbs honey was a really nice bonus. Downside - one less beekeeping season off the bucket list, Another plus was making a long hive to avoid lifting as a trial.

Last edited:
Best season I remember in 45 years of beekeeping, all my 10 hives in full swing for a prolonged flow of lime, bramble and rosebay willow herb and every super filled. And rearing 10 new queens from my best two hives, every one mated well so I start the winter with 15 colonies.

Surviving a very difficult second year of beekeeping. I’m definitely older and wiser, but still have lots to learn. Looking forward to more highs than lows next year. I must also thank my mentor as with out their patience and encouragement, I think this year would have been almost impossible.
Our first 2 years of beekeeping were pretty bad, lost many queens, ended up with aggressive laying workers. Had to kill 2 colonies out of 4. No honey.
This year came good, lots of swarms and catching them but a goodly amount of honey, and 4 strong colonies for this winter. We are happy....so hold on and it will get better.

I tried making some cut comb this year.

I put 2 or 3 cut comb frame in some supers. I was very please with the results.

I found a nice box that holds a frame of CC, so cutting and packing was very easy.

I really enjoyed the whole process, right from researching different methods to reaping the rewards.

I definitely recommend having a go if you have never tried, setting up the frames is very easy, after that you just need a cross your fingers and hope for the right weather for a good flow.

Attachments

• DSC_0310(1).JPG
    DSC_0310(1).JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0313.JPG
    DSC_0313.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0316.JPG
    DSC_0316.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 25
  • DSC_0317.JPG
    DSC_0317.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 25
I love this thread so much positivity. OK here goes.....

1. My two hives survived winter-over the moon
2 Caught our first swarm from one of our hives stressful but relieved.
3 Made a split -exciting
4 Raised two new queens - very proud
5 Planted the garden with wildflowers- delighted
6 Harvested our first light delicious honey,I can't tell you how exciting that was and even more exciting sold 129 jars of honey!!!!!!!
7 Watched and photographed the bees for hours- in my element
8 Every inspection was like Christmas
9 Making a 60th birthday cake for my husband
10 And finally getting to do it all again next year ( hopefully )
🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝🐝

Attachments

• IMG-20210813-WA0019.jpeg
    IMG-20210813-WA0019.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Getting “Beekeepers Back” from inspecting colonies with four supers on for the first time.
Getting stung on my shoulder when wearing a “sting proof” bee suit.
[/QUOTE
Interesting I got stung through my suite this season but maybe my fault
Ohh, nice idea for a thread Curly.

Very much a beginners twist to mine, but I would say the best bits have been:

1. A 'proper' honey harvest, using an extractor and a heather press. Feel like an actual beekeeper now as usually the first thing people say when in comes up in conversation is 'ohh do you get any honey?' Now I have plenty of jars to prove it...
2. Meeting new people and setting up out apiaries. Even if the first thing one of the farmers said to me was 'you're too young to be a beekeeper!' (I'm 31 by the way) :laughing-smiley-004
3. Being more connected to nature. I definitely notice what flowering, pay more attention to the weather and shift in seasons, all because of the bees (or worrying about them and what I haven't done yet!)
4. Every day is a school day. Always been a bit of a geek, and there's certainly plenty to learn in beekeeping.
Hi young un, I also get told that about my age.
Nice to hear your story , how did you get on using a press? Interesting extracting Heather isn't it.

Hi young un, I also get told that about my age.
Nice to hear your story , how did you get on using a press? Interesting extracting Heather isn't it.

Messy! :laughing-smiley-004

Extracting was all done in my kitchen, including the association apiary hives.

Domestic harmony only just about maintained!

Latest posts

Back