Show us Pictures of your Bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, just looked properly and no one seems to be holding the umbrellas over the hive, just over themselves.......tickled me that did :p

I use nikon D300 just debating wether to bit the bullet and get a nice macro lens or get some extension tubes, what kit do you use.

I'm using a Canon 40D dSLR with 50mm f1.8 lens and 20mm extension tube. Am getting these nice pictures with a £70 lens, and £80 set of kenko extension tubes. Though in reality, for bees, I almost exclusively use just the 20mm extension tube (the 12mm and 36mm stay indoors for "studio" work). I haven't yet managed to justify >£300 for a proper macro lens when this relatively cheap combo works so well.

Whilst I generally do manual focus (aka moving your head back and forth) it's nice to have the lens connected electronically so at least you get the option to autofocus, adjust f-stop etc. You don't get this with the lens reversal connectors, which is the other cheap way to upgrade for macro capability.

I've put a few macro snaps into the National Honey Show this year, so I'll let you know how I get on.

Latest posts

Back