Show stand...any tips?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different hives, different locations, different nectar source? I've got hives in different sites so blending it all together looses something of the differences I like in taste and colour, Although I take your point on consumers might ask questions about it.

Isn't that one of the things about mass produced...the unnatural uniformity of colour and taste that differs from the variety you can get from hives a mile apart, or even a few feet?

Different hives, different locations, different nectar source? I've got hives in different sites so blending it all together looses something of the differences I like in taste and colour, Although I take your point on consumers might ask questions about it.

Isn't that one of the things about mass produced...the unnatural uniformity of colour and taste that differs from the variety you can get from hives a mile apart, or even a few feet?
No ...just because you mix all your honey up together does not make it any less natural or tasty. Indeed, I think it actually adds to the compendium of flavours you find in locally produced honey.

If the show is local and you have some idea where each bucket comes from then maybe list them as such.
Some like the hyper-local thing and others buy on taste.
It's a bit late for an obs hive but talking to people around an obs hive makes them feel obliged to buy.
Taster jars are a must.
Candles etc will start to sell well up to, I hate to say it, Christmas.
Remember they generally know less than you do, anything can be believable unless you meet an ass like me that loves to let people dig holes. lol.

Definitely tasters. Many have never tasted real honey beyond supermarket rubbish. Tell them about adulteration. Emphasize natural and pure. Tell them about flavours and colour and comb. Tell them about beekeeping!
I have found that tasters can taste then never buy, when I do offer tasters I dip the tasting stick and give it to the customer, stops people taking far too much, especially when there are kids wanting to taste, I use wooden coffee stirrers

I have found that tasters can taste then never buy, when I do offer tasters I dip the tasting stick and give it to the customer, stops people taking far too much, especially when there are kids wanting to taste, I use wooden coffee stirrers
That made me smile
I’m quite happy letting whole families dip in, kids especially.
Yes some do taste and not buy but that’s life.

There's a local agricultural/farmers fair in two days and I've been offered a stand. I've never done one before, have nothing except honey, wax, a few candles and a wife who's prepared to sell on my behalf because I'll be at work, so not prepped and little time to do any.

Any show veterans able to offer any tips?

We have a card reader, a friend who's willing to assist and that's about it so far. I was thinking of offering tasting...wooden sticks and a runny and set option or similar. SWMBO is pretty knowledgeable on the hives/bees/processing so can talk bees to anyone who might be interested but if anyone has any ideas and experience I'd be happy to take advice and suggestions.

Thanks
You’ve received some great advice.

Here’s pics of my stand at our local show a couple of weeks ago. Cheap colourful tablecloth from my local market. I had some boards for our association made about foraging for bees. I wanted to promote planting more for bees and I sold some wildflower seed from our meadow. People liked that

Have a local story around your honey, it boosts sales - where bees have foraged (National honey monitoring results). Whilst adds a bit of complexity, having different labels / stickers increases sales if keep honey types and colours separate eg apiary sites, heather, heather blend, early summer, spring and back up with tasting sticks. Given a choice and the opportunity to taste, people buy at least one of each vs if all mixed together, just buy one. Especially true if different members of the same family taste the products as all like different ones!

Attachments

• ECBAC826-5C89-4732-A993-760024046236.jpeg
    ECBAC826-5C89-4732-A993-760024046236.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 21C1E12C-8EB1-44D7-B116-5FE27C12D90F.jpeg
    21C1E12C-8EB1-44D7-B116-5FE27C12D90F.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 1
  • 17F6BDB3-75E4-4403-A999-1553B51A53A4.jpeg
    17F6BDB3-75E4-4403-A999-1553B51A53A4.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 3226CCDD-4B89-43D9-AD43-ADEB5607C4E4.jpeg
    3226CCDD-4B89-43D9-AD43-ADEB5607C4E4.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 1
  • FC57747A-6206-417E-A2C7-8886997E095E.jpeg
    FC57747A-6206-417E-A2C7-8886997E095E.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 1
  • 327247AB-F9EE-454F-8D5C-15B7AB8D6127.jpeg
    327247AB-F9EE-454F-8D5C-15B7AB8D6127.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
[/QUOTE]
Be prepared to explain why
Yes, they want to know why honey is dark, light, or in-between, so have an idea of forage source - lime gives a pale, minty honey, sweet chestnut a dark toffee taste - the sort of info. that will link the product to the area and raises awareness of trees and so on.

That made me smile
I’m quite happy letting whole families dip in, kids especially.
Yes some do taste and not buy but that’s life.
kids often double and triple dip too, so you need to keep a good eye on them

I've often taken a jar of the cheapest, nastiestly packaged supermarket honey so people can taste the difference ...there's always going to be one who prefers the supermarket own label but the majority are astounded at the difference in taste you get from 'real' honey ...
A variation you can do is take a jar of the same brand from two different supermarkets some miles apart. They should taste the same (I'd test them first just in case though) then you can explain why that is.

You’ve received some great advice

Certainly have!

Thanks all, and great stands you and Gregor have, both very impressive! And looking at yours I was reminded to take something to put taster spoons in.

Although I fear by comparison ours might be a little underwhelming, but enthusiastically manned so fingers crossed it goes well or is at least a fun day for my amazing helpers while I'm at work with the dog. Good news is we appear to be the only honey stand at the event.

Show report to follow 🤞

If time allows consider a few higher value items….whole frames or large chunk honey in Kilner jars, jars in pairs of set/runny. Large cut comb in take away containers, if the most expensive thing you have is a jar that will be your biggest sale. Whilst not selling many there’s always 1or 3 people looking for presents for one reason or another. Just selling a couple of these items can add a good percentage to the day, plus make your display considerably more interesting.

The boring stuff that is worth bearing in mind.
Some markets etc may want to see your Hygeine Rating and proof of insurance.

Back