SHB temp ban on imported bees from Italy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there beetles in North Africa? The sahara desert is the reason the beetle didn't spread to Europe a very long time ago.

Aye, they have them in Egypt, apparently lots of ships from there dock in Calabria near where shb was first announced to be found in Italy.

Promised I'd update on the Scottish Beekeepers Association council meeting yesterday where the following resolution was passed with a large majority vote

'The SBA urges that all possible measures are taken to prevent the introduction of small hive beetle into the UK. These should include a cessation of trade in live bees from the rest of Europe for 2015 until the true spread of the pest is better known.'

This is really encouraging the SBA have been in talks with the BBKA the Scottish Government & Welsh representatives. If people keep pushing for a ban it can happen. This is bold stuff from the cautious SBA

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-small-hive-beetle-spreading-to-britain

& for those who can do the business on social media

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-small-hive-beetle-spreading-to-britain

Please consider dropping an email to your local MP it's easy to do & it keeps them from spending too much time with their floating duck houses :sunning:

Thanks for the support who'd predict 263 beekeepers could agree on anything?

These should include a cessation of trade in live bees from the rest of Europe for 2015 until the true spread of the pest is better known.'

Better make a few more mating nucs i suppose.

I couldn't give two farts what they call their booze. People who want booze will buy booze. People who want honey will buy honey. People who want booze and beekeepers honey will buy booze and beekeepers honey. Now if it was a syrup disguised as honey with the honey name, now that would annoy me.

oh, tescos. ****.

Given how groups like buglife and greenpeace know that bee based campaigns are very popular and successful there is a danger the BBKA end up on the losing side of a campaign again.

Last edited:
'The SBA urges that all possible measures are taken to prevent the introduction of small hive beetle into the UK. These should include a cessation of trade in live bees from the rest of Europe for 2015 until the true spread of the pest is better known.'

How ridiculous, why all of Europe? Italy if need be!

How ridiculous, why all of Europe? Italy if need be!

I'd also vote for a total ban. You'd be quite happy playing Russian roulette in the meantime?
It's becoming clear that SHB has spread quite considerably, implying that security has been less than good. Let's take a year out and find out exactly what we are dealing with. You'd think we would learn after varroa but it doesn't look like it.

I'm sorry but if you guys realised how relied upon importation of queens alone is to bee keeping you would not be saying this. Not only that you will destroy businesses that people have worked hard to build. Tell me now how I will feed myself and pay my rent? I guess to the doll office it is!

I am aware of the situation and it hasn't altered my thinking one bit. I don't think the Australians are quite so laissez faire about varroa and rightly so.
What's the answer? Carry on importing until, oh dear, SHB is here. Never mind, here's a list of the new treatments and precautions you need to add to the rest?

I wouldn't want to see anyone lose their livelihood Bates, both my son and wife have lost their jobs in the last couple of weeks so I know what it feels like.

Bates: Don't worry so much - there will not be a ban on queen bees from SHB free areas. The pro-ban supporters can lobby as much as they want - just a waste of time for them. See posts about the BBKA ADM.

I'm sorry but if you guys realised how relied upon importation of queens alone is to bee keeping you would not be saying this. Not only that you will destroy businesses that people have worked hard to build. Tell me now how I will feed myself and pay my rent? I guess to the doll office it is!

Aren't you more worried about the impact of the arrival of the beetle on your business and livelihood?

I can understand how a total ban would impact businesses that were making their money from importing bees.
But wouldn't it be better all round if more pro beekeepers were to adopt Mike Palmer's "sustainable" ideas about self-sufficiency rather than relying on shopping to make good their losses?

Incredibly, the subject seems to be slipping off the radar again, so I thought I'd post this here, some very pertinent recommendations from the Swiss Centre for Bee Research:

The Small Hive Beetle – What beekeepers need to know!
The SHB was initially discovered in September 2014, in southern Italy. This is no reason for panic, however it is a good reason to avoid importing bees! It is also important to find out as much as possible about the Natural History of the Beetle, which could soon reach Switzerland.

Benjamin Dainat and Jean-Daniel Charriere. Agroscope, Centre for Bee Research, National Reference Laboratory for Bee Diseases. Schwarzenburgstrasse 161, 3003 Bern- Liebefeld. Translated from the Schweizwerische Bienen Zeitung, issue 12/2014. PP 18 and 19. by A.E.McArthur MIL

The SHB Aethina tumida was discovered on the 5th September, 2014 in Calibria, in the harbour area of Rosarno. Since then multiple infestations have been located in bee colonies. The infected beehives were all burned. The ground in the immediate vicinity of the affected apiaries was treated with insecticide. The aim is to eliminate the Beetle as swiftly as possible. It is assumed that the Beetle if it becomes established will spread widely throughout Europe.

What is the Small Hive Beetle?

As its name implies – it is a beetle whose life cycle is dependent on honey bees and bumble bees. It can infest bee products especially drawn comb, as well as colonies of bees. The adult beetle is able to fly at least 10 km to find a new colony to infest. Its reproduction cycle is shown in Figure 1 and demonstrates that it is dependent on the bee, even although Aethina is able to feed and live on fruit. Its original habitat is the sub Saharan region of Africa. The globalisation of trade and beekeeping has allowed the beetle to spread to Australia, America and Canada and now to Europe.

Damage to the Bee Colony Small colonies are particularly vulnerable to the beetle. The honey comb is also vulnerable. The beetle lays her eggs in cracks and grooves in the hive and the larvae feed on pollen, brood and even honey. The honey in the combs can ferment due to the distribution of yeasts by the beetle. The SHB can also be a vector for AFB. In the advanced stage of infestation the colony can be weakened and the honey reserves can be totally inedible for both bees and humans. Very strong colonies are able to keep the beetle infestations in check and survive, however even such a colony cannot completely eliminate an infestation.
Prevention Measures

This acute problem demonstrates that even importing bees from neighbouring countries is dangerous. The risks from imports had already been recognised for AFB and EFB and this also applies for the SHB. The most important measure which can be taken regarding the SHB is to avoid importing bees! Every beekeeper who imports bees or bee products not only puts themselves at risk they endanger their whole region. Once the SHB is introduced its spread can be extremely rapid, as we have found to our cost already with Varroa

What can be done should the SHB enter Switzerland?

In order to inhibit spread it is important to cease migrating bees or moving bees and to ensure that no used equipment which can be occupied by the beetle is left lying around and not checked regularly. In cases of suspected infestation the incumbent Bee Inspectorate must be informed immediately and samples should be send to the Reference Laboratory in Liebefeld. The individual beekeeper must learn to practice the necessary biosecurity procedures habitually and intensely.

1 Small colonies which do not develop to more than 6 frames should be culled.

2 As soon as honey combs are filled and sealed they should be removed and centrifuged.

3 Only store a minimal amount of drawn comb and check this comb regularly for beetle activity.

4 Maintain a clean and tidy apiary, clean equipment, do not leave comb lying around especially sacrificial drone comb. Do not leave extracted honey comb out for the bees to clean.

The American collective experience demonstrates that it is important to eliminate weak colonies, since these are easily colonised by the beetle. This new parasite now forces us to maintain large powerful colonies of bees.

Nucleus formation and queen rearing takes on a much more important role in order to avoid importing bees.

Treatment against the SHB? Treatment using the presently available substances is not desirable, since the risk of residue buildup in the hive products is more than possible and the treatments could have a negative effect on colony heath and well being. Trapping is an alternative to chemotherapy. The present stage of trap design is inadequate to be fully effective against the beetle. However the present trap designs used in Australia and America are ideal for diagnosis and discovery of initial infestations.

A number of research studies have indicated that formic and acetic acid are effective against the larval and adult stages of the beetle in the comb.

How Great is the Danger? The discovery of the SHB in Italy is no cause for panic, it must however be taken very seriously. Especially important is the avoidance of importing either bees or second-hand beekeeping equipment. The best bee for any area is the local indigenous bee. This is must from now on!

Incredibly, the subject seems to be slipping off the radar again

Maybe because it is winter, don't expect we will hear much more about it, until late spring.

How serious is the risk in the uk. Especially the North?

I understand that the SHB pirates in soil which needs to be warm me even more importantly dry

Not much of that in The North Riding.

Or am I misinformed?

But wouldn't it be better all round if more pro beekeepers were to adopt Mike Palmer's "sustainable" ideas about self-sufficiency rather than relying on shopping to make good their losses?

Shouldn't that be the case with or without the SHB coming to the UK? Haven't enough UK beekeepers like Karl Showler said almost the same thing?

How serious is the risk in the uk. Especially the North?

I understand that the SHB pirates in soil which needs to be warm me even more importantly dry

Not much of that in The North Riding.

Or am I misinformed?

Yes and no, shb can live anywhere where bees can live, they've got up into Canada, but the further north they are, the less of a problem they seem to cause.

Maybe because it is winter, don't expect we will hear much more about it, until late spring.

I cannot think of anything more pressing to beekeepers this winter, even if it's a long cold one, I can't imagine winter losses will be that bad after the near perfect nutrition leading into it.

Latest posts

Back