Why are Nationals so popular? (and other advice appreciated)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't want the pics of him in the jungle bikini thanks. ;) :D
Did you know that the Amazons (the tribe of ancient woman warriors) actually came from Asia minor/Eastern Europe, nowhere near the South American jungles?

Modified Dadant anyone? I bought 1 as my 1st hive full of bees and 2 full supers. That was bloody heavy and a single full super is a struggle.....i now have 2 nationals aswell!

Pontic steppe, of Scythian, Indo-Iranian decent with supposed mutilation of the left breast so no interference with the bow string. The Scythians are credited as being the first horse archers in a long line of subsequent steppe mounted nomads.

Pontic steppe, of Scythian, Indo-Iranian decent with supposed mutilation of the left breast so no interference with the bow string. The Scythians are credited as being the first horse archers in a long line of subsequent steppe mounted nomads. Before them, the chariot provided the mobility.

. One thing I don't understand is that WBC's have a frame less than Nationals. IF they had been the same sized brood box, it would make life easier for some who have WBC's in the garden because SWIMBO likes the look of them, and Nationals elsewhere. And WBC's are even smaller so for me, they are more likely to go to double brood. I think you get used to whatever you use.

Why not just put a National within the WBC lifts. It's a bit tight but it does work. (One of my clients has this configuration) with this you have the larger box with 11 frames and keep your SWIMBO happy!

I have langs: a lang to National conversion is easy with simple woodwork )I bodge so don't do complex)
Ditto reverse. I have simple Lang jumbo frames which take National brood frames with a small cut. I run Lang supers on National Brood if needed.

Ends of top bars don't get glued to the box above.
Yes - good point - its mitigated in BBS boxes through good box design. But I discovered that many WBC boxes have omitted the BS above the lugs and things can get very sticky. Thornes WBC boxes are like this.
I obtained some plans (circa 1999) for WBC boxes which have the necessary BS - I made my boxes to this plan and converted my second hand boxes. I subsequently found that Heather Bell WBC boxes are made with the "over lug" BS.

Ends of top bars don't get glued to the box above.
According to Manley in 'Honey Farming' that was the reason for bottom beespace, in days prior to common use of Hoffman spacing on bs frames it allowed them to be held solid by either the end walls of an upper box or a screen/lid.

Back