SHB temp ban on imported bees from Italy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKBee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi

Hoping for some fellow Beekeeper support. I know these petitions are a bit of a pain ,but I'd like to see the politicians doing a bit more to safeguard our bees from SHB

I just created the petition "Stop the Small Hive Beetle spreading to Britain" and wanted to ask if you could add your name too?

This campaign means a lot to many of us and the more support we can get behind it, the better chance we have of succeeding. You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-small-hive-beetle-spreading-to-britain

P.S. Can you also take a moment to share the petition with others? It's really easy – all you need to do is forward this email or share this link on Facebook or Twitter:

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/stop-the-small-hive-beetle-spreading-to-britain

Thanks for your time

It seems that Defra and the Italian governments are doing everything possible to prevent the spread of SHB, all recent colonies imported into the UK this year from Italy have been checked, the Italians have destroyed 100s of hives and disinfected the surrounding earth for kilometers around any infected colony, and imposed a strict ban on colony movement.

The view is that SHB will come to the UK, probably in an illegal import of bees.

But our SW Bee Inspector is still worried!

I am worried too

James

It seems that Defra and the Italian governments are doing everything possible to prevent the spread of SHB, all recent colonies imported into the UK this year from Italy have been checked, the Italians have destroyed 100s of hives and disinfected the surrounding earth for kilometers around any infected colony, and imposed a strict ban on colony movement.

The view is that SHB will come to the UK, probably in an illegal import of bees.

But our SW Bee Inspector is still worried!

I am worried too

James

Im worried too

When it arrives it will change UK beekeeping forever

Thanks to those who have signed so far.

I am the least politically active person you could meet but this really has such dreadful repercussions for all beekeepers & beyond.

Its time for everyone to step up & give 2 mins of time back for your bees. If SHB gets to the UK it shouldn't have been through the apathy of beekeepers.

Please sign

Only takes a Jiffy

Share the petition with others? It's really easy – all you need to do is forward this email or share this link on Facebook or Twitter :

thanks to those who have signed so far.

I am the least politically active person you could meet but this really has such dreadful repercussions for all beekeepers & beyond.

Its time for everyone to step up & give 2 mins of time back for your bees. If shb gets to the uk it shouldn't have been through the apathy of beekeepers.

Please sign

only takes a jiffy

share the petition with others? It's really easy – all you need to do is forward this email or share this link on facebook or twitter :

done!

If SHB gets to the UK it shouldn't have been through the apathy of beekeepers.

Not if - when, it's just a matter of when will when be.

As others I'm more concerned with illegal importations from other areas of the EC (we've seen a discussion one here - but it's OK to turn a blind eye to it as they were/are the 'right' kind of bees)

There's always hope surely ?

I feel we can't stand back & do nothing.

I can't comment on other imports I'm sure you have a point but this petition is solely motivated by the perceived threat to all the bees currently in this country

not just Italy, should in include the rest, surly we have enough types to cover what people want its just a matter of producing for the supply and demand

signed and forwarded to others

I think a temporary ban should be implemented as soon as possible. I would be interested to know how and where SHB got to Italy...I suspect it was on earth around plants, maybe we should be as concerned about the import of plants from Italy?
S

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I think a temporary ban should be implemented as soon as possible. I would be interested to know how and where SHB got to Italy...I suspect it was on earth around plants, maybe we should be as concerned about the import of plants from Italy?
S

Being transported by other means is a possibility, but first things first, it's not called a hive beetle for nothing, let's stop the importing of bees (which are known to actively attract the beetles from many miles away).

I don't think we'll ever know for certain how the beetle first got into Italy and it's fruitless speculating it came on plants, that will only lead to melon colly! (sorry, I'll get my coat!)

I feel that if it was the case that if fruit was a likely vehicle for transmission we would already have had the beasties here (from South African fruit?)

I am also informed that SHB is not as inclined to un-ripe fruit & it is in this state that modern food is routinely transported around the globe (as anyone who has had a crunchy peach from Morrisons would agree).

So fruit possible, but nowhere near the same risk IMO

At the SBA meeting in Perth today the attendees voted in favour of pressing for measures up to & including an import ban from the government.(I'll put up the exact motion when I get a copy)

Up to the BBKA to step up to the plate now?

Nearly 200 signatures on the petition :thanks:

I feel that if it was the case that if fruit was a likely vehicle for transmission we would already have had the beasties here (from South African fruit?)
:
I would still be interested in how the beetle got to Italy, i suspect from N.Africa on fruit or earth, so would still be more worried about the importation of plants. In reality neither will never happen as it is not a priority for any government and the general public are more concerned about the results of X fuxxter and Strictly!
Not that I am an old cynic :)
S

Latest posts

Back