SHB arrives in France?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenkinsbrynmair

International Beekeeper of Mystery
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Too many - but not nearly enough
Picked up on the book of the face earlier

Alert To Beekeepers in the drôme! Thank you for sharing this message widely!

Veterinary services have informed us of the possible introduction of a small beetle, parasite from the hive. If it proves to be true, the disastrous consequences for French ruchers are expected...

" we were informed in the morning of a suspicion of aethina tumida on a lot of queens imported from Argentina by an alsatian operator. The Ministry of agriculture and food has seized the anses to assess the risk of introduction and spread of the parasite.

The results of this evaluation are expected in early may.

Investigations are being carried out in the departments of drôme, Vaucluse, Ardèche, Loir-ET-Cher and Maine-ET-Loire.

So, in the light of the elements we have today, you can already encourage your beekeepers to be extremely vigilant by not moving any rucher to or from the departments mentioned above. '

You will find on the download link according to the alert message you will be able to stream in PDF format.

https://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2018/04/27/aethinatumida-suspiciondpt67-201704-1/

Rucher = Apiary.
Looks like the lower south east of france area.

Attachments

• france-small-hive-beetle.jpg
    france-small-hive-beetle.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Might be worth mentioning that the link provided pops up some 'unsafe' images you wouldn't want your boss looking at.

Rucher = Apiary.
Looks like the lower south east of france area.

Unfortunately, Loir et Cher and Maine et Loire are not in the south-east of France, they are in Pays De La Loire in the north-west.

Immediately south of Brittany.

A fair chunk of France between the two regions.

How widespread is the shb in Argentina?

I thought it was only just in brazil with Argentina puting out warnings. A bit worrying if it's all ready able to be exported from queens in Argentina.

These are the 5 departments mentioned in JBM's post

Let's hope the French can contain it.

Attachments

• 250px-Loir-et-Cher-Position.svg.jpg
    250px-Loir-et-Cher-Position.svg.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 20
saw the post on Bookface, very dramatic! surely they didn't get as far as introducing them into a hive???

I saw a post in the last couple of days from an Argentinian 'Buckfast' breeder, showing crates and crates of queens ready for posting out to "Europe"....

Unfortunately, Loir et Cher and Maine et Loire are not in the south-east of France,

A fair chunk of France between the two regions..

So are we saying the Frogs are riddled with beetles or have we lost something geographic in translation?

I saw a post in the last couple of days from an Argentinian 'Buckfast' breeder, showing crates and crates of queens ready for posting out to "Europe"....

Did it say where in Europe specifically or all over???
Is this 1982 all over again, or am I just with a low opinion of some South Americans?

Last edited:
Did it say where in Europe specifically or all over???
Is this 1982 all over again, or am I just with a low opinion of some South Americans?

It just said Europe. I have a low opinion of the Argies anyway - a few mates and I were somewhat busy dealing with them on certain South Atlantic Islands this time of year in 1982...

The French are saying the source of the queens was La rucher d'escoutay d'Argentina.

I also note that the BBKA farce book thread has been closed by the admin, saying it is false news, but no indication of that on the French site - lots of notes about imported queens though lol.

It just said Europe. I have a low opinion of the Argies anyway - a few mates and I were somewhat busy dealing with them on certain South Atlantic Islands this time of year in 1982...
Great people, their history is just dealing with invaders and fighting for their freedom.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Pretty impressive importing a pest from a region that has never had it.
I'd be running anti virus software if I'd followed the links to the pdf.
The bees imported last week from Argentina went to Spain not France.

This appears to be the source:

http://www.abeille-du-saleve.org/

Translation of the linked PDF:

EDL suspicion Aethina tumida

• Eggs suspected to be eggs of Aethina tumida were identified on 17/04/18 by the approved veterinary laboratory of the Bas-Rhin (LDA67) in the context of place of first destination of crates and workers accompanying a batch of 1000 bee queens imported from Argentina on the 26/03/18.

• The first results of the analyzes conducted on 20/04/18 by the National Laboratory of reference on the health of bees of ANSES Sophia-Antipolis (LNR) did not allow to rule out the suspicion of Aethina tumida.

• The queens of the suspect batch were introduced into apiaries of eight beekeeping operations having their registered office in the departments of Drome, Vaucluse, Ardèche, Loir-et-Cher, and Maine-et-Loire.
The departmental directorates in charge of the protection of the populations of these departments are currently conducting surveys of traceability to identify all the apiaries to which these queens are addressed.
These apiaries are placed under prefectural supervision order until all risks are spread, which implies in particular a restriction of the movements of bees, and beekeeping equipment, as well as increased vigilance.

• The General Directorate of Food (DGAl) urgently seized on 23/04/18 the Agency National Food Safety, Environment and Labor (ANSES)
for an assessment of the risk of introduction and dissemination of Aethina tumida on the national territory in the context of this suspicion.
IAOD will build on the findings of the opinion of ANSES expected by 02/05/18 to define the most appropriate measures to manage the risk in this case, or even adapt the monitoring and management of imported lots of queens.

• The small hive beetle Aethina tumida is a parasite pest of colonies
of bees present in several countries spread over all continents.
In Europe, it has been discovered in the south of Italy in 2014, its dissemination is currently limited to region of Calabria.
The introduction in France of this first category health hazard would have disastrous health and economic consequences for the beekeeping industry.

• The Beekeeping Expert Committee attached to the National Policy Guidance Council Animal and Plant Health Commission reaffirmed at its last meeting on 14/03/18 that it agreed that everything should be done to ensure that Aethina tumida did not arrive in the country if first outbreaks were discovered, that control measures should be implemented to give it a chance to eradicate it, but with the need assess the health situation quickly and review this goal of eradication as a of need.

• Any batch of bees or bumblebees introduced into the national territory, whatever the origin, must be accompanied by an official health certificate. It is forbidden to introduce bees, drones, non-beekeeping by-products processed beekeeping equipment and honey from the zones infested. Compliance with the regulations on the movement of animals and products of animal origin ensures the maintenance of the protection of the entire territory. It is advisable to contact the departmental direction in charge of the protection Populations upstream of any introduction in France of bees or bumblebees from abroad. Non-compliance with the regulations not only exposes health risks, but also to criminal prosecution.

• Prevention and vigilance are everyone's business. In case of suspicion of Aethina tumida, should inform the Departmental Directorate responsible for the protection of populations or a veterinarian.

Great people, their history is just dealing with invaders and fighting for their freedom.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Tapatalk

Aye, and the french who gallantly helped them by supplying Exocet missiles. I am of an age to have known several of those who fought on D-day and subsequent days......neither they nor their comrades; saw a frenchman anywhere.

Let's not eh?
There are decent and not so decent people in every country.

Agreed Swarm.
What bugs me is the importing of bees from such far flung places instead of "growing your own" it asks for trouble. Still not learned from varroa and Asian hornet it seems?

Agreed Swarm.
What bugs me is the importing of bees from such far flung places instead of "growing your own" it asks for trouble. Still not learned from varroa and Asian hornet it seems?

In what reality was Asian hornet imported with bees ?
Perhaps you can recommend a UK breeder capable of supplying 600 outstanding queens in April?

Agreed Swarm.

I can surely agree with that. Same thing happening in North America. The Canadians are importing package bees from NZ and AU. Waiting here for Tropilaelaps to show up. Just a matter of time. No reason the Canadians and everyone else can't raise their own bees...and better bees than they can buy.

And they tell me the packages are $250cdn. Lots of chalkbrood and failing queens. Half die in the winter. Paying $250 for a package to fill a pollination contract that pays far less. Nice
business plan, eh?

Latest posts

Back