SHB arrives in France?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What diseases are identified with the colour of wax?

34 diseases and pests have been identified in bees. Non native is the 35th disease and non local is 36th.
Propably all are in black combs. Honey from brood combs/black combs are poison. They have environmental poisons.

You must know yourself, because it is your style out there. ( with many it is here too) You must give foundations to the package that last year's diseases do not inherit with .

Yeah! Nothing reality in this debating. All dangers are pushing on outside of own village. What heck makes my feral colonies so healthy in my village that all imports must be banned?

Last edited:
PS: Have you taught that feral hives have black combs?

There is a feral hive in a shurch tower 3 miles from here. It has been there at least 30 years. Combs must be very black. Bees were Carniolans last year.

Last edited:
We're waiting a long time for the research to be published on how pure the Irish population suposedly is.

It was largely funded by the native bee brigade...

My apologies, I regret I may have misled you by saying the above research would be published on the 24th. It now appears that they, the researchers will be only talking about the research then, not publishing it!

My apologies, I regret I may have misled you by saying the above research would be published on the 24th. It now appears that they, the researchers will be only talking about the research then, not publishing it!

I don't think we'll expect you do do a "Amber Rudd" for that oversight ;-)

Lol, it's probably the most referenced bit of bee research ever done over here and only the select few have actually seen it.

Hoppy, imports of bees into Ireland had been banned. The only huge consignments of imported varroa infested honey bees into Ireland/Eire are in your imagination.

That's totally incorrect. Bee imports into Ireland are perfectly legal. The hurdles are a little different, not on bee diseases but in terms of fireblight declarations, but if you meet the certification needs (not much different from UK rules), then bringing bees into Ireland is simple and legal................and as far as I can see has been for many years.

That's totally incorrect. Bee imports into Ireland are perfectly legal. The hurdles are a little different, not on bee diseases but in terms of fireblight declarations, but if you meet the certification needs (not much different from UK rules), then bringing bees into Ireland is simple and legal................and as far as I can see has been for many years.

The import of bees into Ireland was banned when Varroa was discovered to be in the UK. Perhaps it is to that time Bee friendly is referring?
The ban was relaxed when varroa was eventually found to be here and the current situation is very much as you describe it.

Lol, it's probably the most referenced bit of bee research ever done over here and only the select few have actually seen it.
The story is that nobody can be found who will publish it. The IBRA were the last who were supposed to be doing so. Perhaps they will, but perhaps they will not. It will scarcely be a very independent piece of research and has probably been altered and changed many times. Much hype, but no substance. Perhaps the IBRA who to their credit have published much that is excellent have reservations and will only publish a much abridged version or not publish anything. The most telling aspect is the fact that independent labs who could have done the research quicker and for less money were not engaged. We wish the AMM fraternity every success in their endeavours and may the light of heaven shine benevolently upon them!

Last edited:
That's totally incorrect. Bee imports into Ireland are perfectly legal. .[/QUOTE

They are now.
When varroa was first found in England imports of bees to Ireland were ...shall we say restricted....at that time. https://irishbeekeeping.ie/education/articles/ scroll down and bottom left, for one of many confirmations.

Addendum....seems Quis has confirmed the status I referred to when varroa first reached mainland England.

Last edited:
From the NBU today -

Title: Small Hive Beetle is not confirmed in France Date: 4 May 2018
The National Bee Unit (NBU) received news on Monday of a suspected finding of Small hive beetle eggs in an imported consignment of bees (1000 queens) in France. The news has been widely shared across the UK’s beekeeping community.

A formal Communiqué de presse was issued by the Ministère de l’ Agriculture & ANSES on 4th May 2018 http://agriculture.gouv.fr/parasite-des-abeilles-aethina-tumida-suspicion-non-confirmee it explained how analyses carried out at the national reference of Sophia Antipolis laboratory is inconclusive and the available material will not allow further analysis.

The import was originally from Argentina and is said to have been widely distributed in France, further checks will be taking place during the season. There are currently no confirmed reports of Small hive beetle (Aethina tumida) in Argentina (source OIE) however the beetle has been found in other parts of South America.

The UK has received one import of 525 queens from Argentina this year. The NBU proactively took action to inspect the imported queens, Fera Science Ltd received the consignment samples for mandatory checks and no Aethina tumida were found to be present.

UK authorities remain active in preparing and monitoring for the Small hive beetle. Contingency training exercises have been run by the NBU to provide opportunities to test and improve protocols. Further information on Small hive beetle can be found in the NBU advisory leaflet.

From the NBU today -

Title: Small Hive Beetle is not confirmed in France Date: 4 May 2018
The National Bee Unit (NBU) received news on Monday of a suspected finding of Small hive beetle eggs in an imported consignment of bees (1000 queens) in France. The news has been widely shared across the UK’s beekeeping community.

A formal Communiqué de presse was issued by the Ministère de l’ Agriculture & ANSES on 4th May 2018 http://agriculture.gouv.fr/parasite-des-abeilles-aethina-tumida-suspicion-non-confirmee it explained how analyses carried out at the national reference of Sophia Antipolis laboratory is inconclusive and the available material will not allow further analysis.

The import was originally from Argentina and is said to have been widely distributed in France, further checks will be taking place during the season. There are currently no confirmed reports of Small hive beetle (Aethina tumida) in Argentina (source OIE) however the beetle has been found in other parts of South America.

The UK has received one import of 525 queens from Argentina this year. The NBU proactively took action to inspect the imported queens, Fera Science Ltd received the consignment samples for mandatory checks and no Aethina tumida were found to be present.

UK authorities remain active in preparing and monitoring for the Small hive beetle. Contingency training exercises have been run by the NBU to provide opportunities to test and improve protocols. Further information on Small hive beetle can be found in the NBU advisory leaflet.

Good news then.
How much is it costing to check every import for SHB?
Would it be more cost efficient just to ban imports of bees from everywhere including Eire/ Ulster where they could be shipped unexamined for pests and disease across the open boarder?
Just wondering.....

Yeghes da

Ahh the good citizen trying to save hard worked understaffed governmental departments spending the public purse. :nono: :icon_204-2:

Good news then.
How much is it costing to check every import for SHB?
Would it be more cost efficient just to ban imports of bees from everywhere including Eire/ Ulster where they could be shipped unexamined for pests and disease across the open boarder?
Just wondering.....

Yeghes da

Why not go further and ban ALL honeybees and disband the NBU

Good old ‘Hoppit’ must be bored while everyone else’s bees are busy, the ‘Dreckly’ Cornish bees haven’t decided to wake up yet, so trying a bit of Trolling
S

Back