SHB arrives in France?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So which is total carp ? The findings of the COLOSS study that suggests an advantage to local bees?
That the bees most familiar with the virus would.have the highest immunity ?
Or that the rest of the world doesn't want our native rubbish?

Perhaps a reference to this Coloss paper you refered to?

Perhaps a reference to this Coloss paper you refered to?

The honeybee genotypes and the environment paper.
Bit busy now to dig up the exact bit, a study in Greece found non local bees had higher virus levels as a result of not being locally adapted. Therefore logically the bees that are symptomatic ( in this case Cheers' "Mediterranean bees") will be the ones experiencing this virus for the first time.

So which is total carp ? The findings of the COLOSS study that suggests an advantage to local bees?
That the bees most familiar with the virus would.have the highest immunity ?
Or that the rest of the world doesn't want our native rubbish?

To be succinct most of your posts, the majority that I bother to read seem to be anti any bee that is Native or has been extanct for so many generations that it has adapted to localised conditions.

Novel virus sweeps across the UK brought in by unscrupulous importers!

Yeghes da

To be succinct most of your posts, the majority that I bother to read seem to be anti any bee that is Native or has been extanct for so many generations that it has adapted to localised conditions.

Yeghes da

Such rubbish

Lets take simple EFB. IT is the most easy to get rid off if you change a new gene pool. IT is same with chalk brood. Very easy to weed out. But you need an immune gene pool. Keep your local and you keep your diseases.

Local and native, no import, no bananas....

The honeybee genotypes and the environment paper.
Bit busy now to dig up the exact bit, a study in Greece found non local bees had higher virus levels as a result of not being locally adapted. Therefore logically the bees that are symptomatic ( in this case Cheers' "Mediterranean bees") will be the ones experiencing this virus for the first time.

It makes perfect sense that any organism which is challenged, for the first time, with a novel pathogen would be ill equipped to deal with it (unless some remnant of coding in its make-up contained genes which allowed it to survive). However, I think there is a danger in applying this ad infinitum. What I mean to say, is that an imported strain could become acclimatized through exposure and, so long as it survived that challenge, develop an immunity.

Such rubbish

Lets take simple EFB. IT is the most easy to get rid off if you change a new gene pool. IT is same with chalk brood. Very easy to weed out. But you need an immune gene pool. Keep your local and you keep your diseases.

Local and native, no import, no bananas....

I think you and I were thinking along the same lines Finman.
The converse of SDM's reference is that a local population with a genetic weakness will always have that weakness unless it acquires new genetic information from stronger strains (excluding mutation). That is a good reason for the queens polygamy.

Last edited:

Novel virus sweeps across the UK brought in by unscrupulous importers!

Yeghes da

Well , at least that explains the ignorant replies you make to posts you've never read.
So are you disputing what I said, that if your Mediterranean bees are visibly suffering, but the locals aren't, then it is most likely the local bees have been familiar with this virus for some time? Or are you just going to spout more bile in an attempt to avoid questions you don't like the answers to?
Oh, one last thing. I don't care what bees you keep. I care about the bees I keep. Mores the pity you can't say the same.

The converse of SDM's reference is that a local population with a genetic weakness will always have that weakness unless it acquires new genetic information from stronger strains (excluding mutation). That is a good reason for the queens polygamy.

The weeknes of genome starts from small apiary, where you rear queens from the best Queen. The genepool becomes then narrower. IT has noting to do with native or local. IT is selection by the beekeeper.

What about natural selection on two generations? The apiary is quickly ruined. Bees are far from wanted. Colonies turn quickly to the average form, but they get their original bee features: Stinging, swarming, average hive size.

Where we need breeding if nature read our wishes and make them true.

.... This chain is full of Santa like hopes. I do not need to pick up Greece stories to know, what happens if I do not select my bees and if I do not import new genes outside my local genepool. I have seen it so often during 40 years.

... What I know good queen breeders, they import all the time queens from new genepools and take advantages from genes outsde of their "local bees".

..... Actually beebreeders have biggest fight against their local bees, which try to mix the breeding work in two years.

We can bark in Finland imported Italian queens what they are, but they are still far better than local hobby beekeepers' mongrels.

Last edited:
The weeknes of genome starts from small apiary, where you rear queens from the best Queen. The genepool becomes then narrower. IT has noting to do with native or local. IT is selection by the beekeeper.

Take it further and you realise that the evolutionary generation of species and strains is also a narrowing of the gene-pool. Leading to genetic weaknesses. Most species develop due to being isolated from related strains/species gene pools. Hence their gene-pool is restricted to what they have and any beneficial mutations that might arise. It is possibly the reason that British Amm's were so susceptible to IofW disease (whatever it was) and the rest of Europe's Amm's weren't.
So intermixing of strains can be very good as it generates more diversity within the gene-pool. Then it needs proper selection to fix the positive characters into the breedign triats......AKA Buckfast development, Carnica improvement breeding etc

Take it further and you realise that the evolutionary generation of species and strains is also a narrowing of the gene-pool. Leading to genetic weaknesses. Most species develop due to being isolated from related strains/species gene pools. Hence their gene-pool is restricted to what they have and any beneficial mutations that might arise. It is possibly the reason that British Amm's were so susceptible to IofW disease (whatever it was) and the rest of Europe's Amm's weren't.
So intermixing of strains can be very good as it generates more diversity within the gene-pool. Then it needs proper selection to fix the positive characters into the breedign triats......AKA Buckfast development, Carnica improvement breeding etc

You should not say such things. Those who oppose imports will have several fits.

(On the other hand :sunning: )

Take it further and you realise that the evolutionary generation of species and strains is also a narrowing of the gene-pool. Leading to genetic weaknesses.

IT is big difference between area like "Tamar Valley village as Ice Ace Refuge" and Continental Europe. And Africa with its bee races is 3 fold compared to Europe.

That Evolution takes care of bee breeding is very naiv view. Every one of us are in grave when that happens. And Evolution works for humans.. Good heavens..

And I do not know any domestic animal where natural evolution has tamed the animal for human creature.

That I have heard that a cow selected a human to its servant. From that the cow got a great future.
It was about 300 years ago, when it was invented that the Science serves God's purposes. Before that it was taught that science and Shurch were against each other. For example number zero was pagan's sign. You could use it only in secret like oxalic acid nowadays.

Last edited:
Basically then the World Health Organisation's eradication of small pox was a waste of time... is that what you are saying?

Basically then the World Health Organisation's eradication of small pox was a waste of time... is that what you are saying?

You mean small pox resistant bees or what? Must be very small in bees.

How is that linked to "local native bees" and the fact, that you want all local bees black. Imported bees can be yellow?

Other world has abandoned already black bee in honey production, and you invent grazy stories why future should be black.

Tell greetings to World Health guys! I am not going to stop their project.

Last edited:

I do understand not a bit about that.

Mixing breeding and evolution. And even small pox mixed. And disease resistant breeding, when beekeepers cannot identify diseases. Diseases are identified with the color of wax.

Well, I think that this discussion is out of reality.

Stop importing of bees and your waxes will turn white.

Latest posts

Back