rhubarb leaves

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i know that over here we have some problems with roedadendron(properly spelt wrong) it can kill bees one year and do nothing the next. diferent levels. of certain toxins are to blame on that. anyway the whole idea was to be able to keep varoa in check throughout the season without resorting to hard chemicals but the barage of chemicals in the leaves makes that ineffective so that fair enough.

on a equaly wacky note what about using thyme in your smoker?
i am not sure at what temp the thymol is destroyed but i would have though that it would be destroyed but its just another interesting thought i have come across... any thoughts????

What aboutr using tobacco ?Thornes used to sell it for use in smokers ,I don't know if they still do.Could be subject to the government anti-smoking campaign perhaps !!Perhaps it would give the mites lung disease.

This is madness, people don't want to use the "chemical" but are trying to use the "organic" version of it in a very uncontrolled way.

Oxalic acid is oxalic acid, be from a plant or a packet, but with the packet you get what it says on the tin!

Just use it it from a packet and mix up or even by the ready made solution., its quite simple.:banghead::beatdeadhorse5:

Like all the rubbish about cane V Beet, its just sugar!.:banghead::beatdeadhorse5:

Oh but don't forget to use ultra pure water as you don't want to be passing on oestrogen from your tap water and altering your drones to females when making up your OX solution or even your sugar syrup.:hat:

Rhododendrons and Laurel can be a problem because when burnt they give off cyanide gas! I dont think I want them in my hive. Or near me to be fair!
Rhodies are a problem everywhere, they are not native, they cover our native trees and shrubs/plants and nothing will grow under them or in the ground for some time to come!
I will not have them in my garden. But then I am a plant snob.

found here
http://www.dafactopedia.com/2010/02/33-most-deadliest-substances-on-earth.html
Location: The rhododendron is found just about everywhere. Rhododendron plants are evergreen shrubs often forming dense growths in Canada and in the United States. They are found in the Appalachians and West Coast. It is the state flower of two US states, West Virginia and Washington, and is quite common in Great Britain as well.
Effects and Symptoms: The victim can experience nausea, irritation, drooling, vomiting, increased tear formation, paralysis, slowing of pulse, lowering of blood pressure, diarrhea, seizure, coma, and death.
Case Studies: Children have been poisoned by sucking nectar from the blossoms or by drinking making tea made from the leaves of the rhododendron plant.The Greeks found that honey from bees that have fed on azaleas, rhododendrons, oleander, or dwarf laurel is also poisonous.

This is madness, people don't want to use the "chemical" but are trying to use the "organic" version of it in a very uncontrolled way.

Oxalic acid is oxalic acid, be from a plant or a packet, but with the packet you get what it says on the tin!

Just use it it from a packet and mix up or even by the ready made solution., its quite simple.:banghead::beatdeadhorse5:

Like all the rubbish about cane V Beet, its just sugar!.:banghead::beatdeadhorse5:

Oh but don't forget to use ultra pure water as you don't want to be passing on oestrogen from your tap water and altering your drones to females when making up your OX solution or even your sugar syrup.:hat:

i wasnt thinking about the leaves as a replacement to using oxylic but as another thing that can be done to keep varroa numbers down during the active season.

We played among rhodedendrans as kids, but don't remember any ill effects, we used to make dens in them as they were bushy and dark. There were loads of them around a wooded bit where we used to play.

Lol, just thought there would be loads of beeks up and down the country nodding their heads and saying " that explains a lot " to themselves :D

Last edited:
We played among rhodedendrans as kids, but don't remember any ill effects, we used to make dens in them as they were bushy and dark. There were loads of them around a wooded bit where we used to play.

Lol, just thought there would be loads of beeks up and down the country nodding their heads and saying " that explains a lot " to themselves :D

that explains it i ust to play in them as a kid aswell. always wondered about that. do you remeber how sticky they were?

I seem remember the buds were, but I was a sticky child lol so may not have noticed it too much

Latest posts

Back