Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

newportbuzz 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
hi im sure its a daft question but i saw a youtube vid somewhere where a woman was using rhubarb leaves inbetween her super and brood chamber to encourage the bees to remove the leaf and so dose the hive with oxylic acid. i know the leaves can contain up to .5% oxylic acid aswell as a lot of other stuff and the dribble treatment for oxylic is 3% so is this even viable and does it do any good /or bad

Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
3 National Hives & 1 Observation Hive.(Indoors) & lots of empty boxes..
This is something which I have been thinking of over the last couple of days since somebody said that the acid was in the leaves,, and on checking, found they also contain acetic acid...

Find a bee with a mite and put it in a jar with a bit of leaf and see what happens....

admin 

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I think the leaves contain around .5% OA.

Anyone want to do the maths to see how many leaves by weight you would need to dose a colony.

Whats a stock solution,3% ?

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I think the leaves contain around .5% OA.

Anyone want to do the maths to see how many leaves by weight you would need to dose a colony.
The problem is that plant analyses will vary hugely according to natural variation, soil, weather, time of year, time of day etc etc. This makes it almost impossible to calculate a dose- which is why, when a good active compound is found, it's isolated and synthesised.

If I have a headache, I'm quite happy to take an aspirin, but I'd be very nervous about using willow bark.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
1g by vapourisation. Thatedbe 'bout a couple hundred grams of leaves, thats all. Is that c.0.5% dryweight or as picked?

Regards, RAB

newportbuzz 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
i wonder is it in the rhubarb pollen aswell if it is i could collect some and dust the whole hive similarly to how its done with icing sugar but that might enter the food chain for the larvae

Ouarda 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
If I have a headache said:
WHY????????

Just because you don't understand how to prepare it, or don't you think it works??

Adam 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
My rubarb leaves withered and died back months ago. Can you even get them, even if you convinced yourself it worked?

Adam

MrB 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
hi im sure its a daft question but i saw a youtube vid somewhere where a woman was using rhubarb leaves inbetween her super and brood chamber to encourage the bees to remove the leaf and so dose the hive with oxylic acid. i know the leaves can contain up to .5% oxylic acid aswell as a lot of other stuff and the dribble treatment for oxylic is 3% so is this even viable and does it do any good /or bad
you could also feed them on carrots! they contain OA and will help your bee's forrage in the dark!!! :biggrinjester:

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
WHY????????

Just because you don't understand how to prepare it, or don't you think it works??
No, as explained in the rest of my post, because there's no way of knowign how much active ingredient I'm getting.

newportbuzz 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
19 through the winter
alright take the piss if you want but its a serious question. and i hasve some growing in my greenhouse so i have acess to leaves (not that i will use them too stringy this time of year)
id say the other chemiclas in rhubarb leaves will be the downfall of this idea. but i thought it was worth passing infront of people with more experiance than me to see what everyone thought. anyway thanks everyone for your advise think ill give this one a miss mabey try it out on a single bee with a mite on see what appns.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
OK, boys and girls. Do bees eat rhubarb leaves? I think not. I think they would be cut up (maybe chewed a bit) and deposited by the hygienic bees, some distance from the hive. Just like polystyrene insulation from inside the hive.

Regards, RAB

fincaazul 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
OK, boys and girls. Do bees eat rhubarb leaves? I think not. I think they would be cut up (maybe chewed a bit) and deposited by the hygienic bees, some distance from the hive. Just like polystyrene insulation from inside the hive.

Regards, RAB
The purpose of the forum is surely to air new ideas, however wacky they may seem. replies from those with more experience can only be helpful in the learning experience. So, guys and gals, let's be positive in our replies, and pass on our knowledge and practical experience without passing judgement on those who are less knowledgable.

newportbuzz 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
19 through the winter

Regards, RAB
but wouldnt that expose some bees and some varroa to the leaves sap etc?

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
that is the most stupid i have ever seen. As stupid is to nurse mynth around hives.
Oa is inside of plant cells and have no contact to mite. and it has allmost 15% of demanded value.

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
The purpose of the forum is surely to air new ideas, however wacky they may seem. replies from those with more experience can only be helpful in the learning experience. So, guys and gals, let's be positive in our replies, and pass on our knowledge and practical experience without passing judgement on those who are less knowledgable.
one fool can ask more than ten wise can answer

Polyanwood 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have heard about old beekeepers putting walnut leaves above the crownboard, but not of anyone using rhubarb leaves.

Skyhook 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
From http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/rheum_x_hybridum.htm

...the leaves are highly toxic. They contain oxalic acid in the form of oxalates which is widely believed to be the poison but there is evidence that these are insufficient to cause the known fatalities. There are reasons to believe that it is anthraquinone alkaloids which are to blame...

From http://www.beedisorder.com (talking about CCD)

a few of the species known to be mildly toxic to poisonous to bees (and humans). These plants nectar’s are known to include toxic or poisonous substances including alkaloids, anthraquinones, grayanotoxin and andromedotoxin.

I'll leave it alone.

Latest posts