"Raw" honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPea

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Is there a temperature you can heat honey to that will make it runny enough to jar, but so that it's still technically "raw" honey?

40 degrees I think - someone with more knowledge will come along and give a better answer shortly :D

Thinking of going to London and flogging your honey for £20.00 for a 12 ounce jar?

Oh no, I don't have nearly enough to sell like that! Someone in my family asked if it was raw, and I'd heated a bit so just wondered

i would say 35c

Whether you can sell it labelled as RAW HONEY is another matter as it is not a reserved description

If the RAW was on a separate line in smaller letters or lower case then possibley

Raw
HONEY

or

RAW
HONEY

i would say 35c

Whether you can sell it labelled as RAW HONEY is another matter as it is not a reserved description

If the RAW was on a separate line in smaller letters or lower case then possibley

Raw
HONEY

or

RAW
HONEY

It means unheated, which in practice will be room temperature. Also, it is supposed to have pollen in it so not too fine a mesh!

It means unheated, which in practice will be room temperature. Also, it is supposed to have pollen in it so not too fine a mesh!

As muswell metro says, it's not a reserved description so there is no regulation about using the term.
I guess it could have a valid use to describe unpasteurised honey ( not heated to 63°c?)

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

As muswell metro says, it's not a reserved description so there is no regulation about using the term.
I guess it could have a valid use to describe unpasteurised honey ( not heated to 63°c?)

Sent from my XT890 using Tapatalk 2

:I agree:

We had a customer complain because or honey was not labeled as "Raw Honey". "Customers alway right"... :hairpull:

well cosidering the temperature inside the 'bees' room' has been recorded in the region 0f 36 degrees Centigrade. It's a nonsense to claim it shouldn't be heated above 21 degrees (the commonly accepted mean room temperature)
So heating up to 36 degrees would be fine for 'raw' honey which in the end is just another myth perpetuated by the holier than thou urban eco-warrior types so that they can fleece the gullible at 'farmers' markets'
The holes on a fine filter mesh are between 0.1 and 0.2 mm and the smallest pollen grain (forget me not) is 0.006mm ranging up to the largest (wind borne) pollen grains at 0.09mm your standard fine honey filters are going to leave everything through anyway. So again, a load of............. tosh
Most beekeepers filter and bottle their honey at 'room temperature' anyway it's only such things as OSR honey that needs the extra heat. So let's not get our knickers in a twist about 'raw honey' shall we?

Last edited:
in that case supermarket honey should be labelled "Pasteurised and may contain Chinese sugar"

Hi Ericha,
My supermarket honey says 'cold extracted, cold filtered and unblended'.

Hi Ericha,

If i remember correctly ' cold filtered' is the process where honey is pushed at pressure through extra fine filters to remove all that nasssty pollen etc - handy for disguising the origin of the honey - may be wrong though

Why, thank you, ericA!

At work, I kept leaving notes in the staff kitchen saying things like, "The honey is coming" - then left a jar for people to try (with wooden tasters) and to use.

Orders rolling in!

Dusty

Hi Ericha,

The other adjective I would take exception to is "Unblended". Does this mean honey from one hive has not been blended with honey from another, or from one apiary with honey from another or from one producer with honey from another producer or ... well, you get the idea. It's one step better than "A blend of EU and non-EU honeys" I suppose, but only one step!

I'm not sure I'd use the word "unpasteurized" as the public might see this as being unhealthy - nobody in their right mind drinks unpasteurized milk and that might rub off on unpasteurized-labelled honey product.

CVB

The other adjective I would take exception to is "Unblended". Does this mean honey from one hive has not been blended with honey from another, or from one apiary with honey from another or from one producer with honey from another producer or ... well, you get the idea. It's one step better than "A blend of EU and non-EU honeys" I suppose, but only one step!

I'm not sure I'd use the word "unpasteurized" as the public might see this as being unhealthy - nobody in their right mind drinks unpasteurized milk and that might rub off on unpasteurized-labelled honey product.

CVB

I drink it and loads of others do every day without catching anything. Pasteurisation of milk not only gets rid of the bad bacteria but the good to.

It is comments like this that gives DEFRA and the health hitlers all the ammo they need to totally ban it as they are trying to do at the moment. If they get their way you can kiss goodbye to unpasteurised cheeses as well.

sorry :rant:

Latest posts

Back