Questions about managing honeybee diseases

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

researcher8899

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I'm a postgraduate researcher in human geography and will be doing some ethnographic fieldwork with urban beekeepers this summer. I'm particularly interested in how urban beekeepers manage the various diseases which affect their hives, their perspectives on different treatment practices, their views on others who might care for their hives in different ways etc. I'm interested in this theme because, during my limited beekeeping experience, I've noticed that managing diseases is something which tends to illicit very strong emotions, moral judgements and opinions from people eg. wistfulness about times when beekeepers didn't have to medicate their bees, and anger at other beekeepers for going 'treatment-free' for various reasons, and spreading diseases to other people's colonies.

My question is about how delicately I need to treat this topic. Research participants will be fully informed about the research before they agree to take part, I won't be just accosting them on the street to bombard them with questions, but I'd like to know whether managing honeybee diseases is a touchy subject. Are people likely to get offended if I ask them about their disease treatment practices, whether they've ever lost hives to diseases, what they think about honeybee care practices in general? Are they likely to think I'm accusing them of something, or trying to sniff out if they've ever done anything other beekeepers might consider irresponsible? Is this is a topic I should tread on eggshells around, or would it probably be fine to ask questions more directly?

I'd be really grateful for your insights. Thanks!

Suprisingly there are few treatments for bee diseases. When beekeepers talk about "treatment" they usually mean varroa control. That is a sensitive subject, due to the regulations that apply.

Honestly if you ask a beekeeper how he manages diseases there’s no reason at all why there should be any problem. You are not making any judgement on their choice after all. You are simply giving them a questionnaire to answer. The difficulty arises where beekeepers argue with each other. If you are planning on asking what one beekeeper feels about another’s methods you are likely to get nothing.

Honestly if you ask a beekeeper how he manages diseases there’s no reason at all why there should be any problem. You are not making any judgement on their choice after all. You are simply giving them a questionnaire to answer. The difficulty arises where beekeepers argue with each other. If you are planning on asking what one beekeeper feels about another’s methods you are likely to get nothing.
Suprisingly there are few treatments for bee diseases. When beekeepers talk about "treatment" they usually mean varroa control. That is a sensitive subject, due to the regulations that apply.

I see, that's really helpful.

Just to clarify, by regulations do you mean the ones which said people had to report varroa if they found it in their hives? Or regulations about other diseases?

Thanks for this, really useful stuff. Just to make sure I understand, do you mean I'd be likely to get nothing if I asked people about their views on other people's methods, because they'd just get caught up in criticising/arguing about it? Honestly that would be fine, I'm just keen to avoid offending people, or to invest time in a topic which beekeepers are uncomfortable talking openly about.

Thanks for this, really useful stuff. Just to make sure I understand, do you mean I'd be likely to get nothing if I asked people about their views on other people's methods, because they'd just get caught up in criticising/arguing about it? Honestly that would be fine, I'm just keen to avoid offending people, or to invest time in a topic which beekeepers are uncomfortable talking openly about.
You could start your research here by typing treatment free into search. That should keep you occupied for a little while

Just to clarify, by regulations do you mean the ones which said people had to report varroa if they found it in their hives? Or regulations about other diseases?
Regulations about treatment methods and chemicals used. They are regulated by the VMD.
Additionally, some methods are becoming less effective due to resistance, others can only be used at certain times.

If I remember right, bees have 32 different diseases. Diseases have been identified and described , what to do with them.

Urban beekeeping is not different from rural beekeeping, if we speak about diseases.

Hobby beekeepers have many kind of magics copared to professional.

In USA hobby beekeepers trust more on natural methods than on university science.

About UK beekeepers I do not know much how they actually nurse their sick hives. UK beekeepers trust only UK knowledge. Nothing good from overseees, so they say.

In this forum there are some guys who know everything. Trust them. And of course, native Black Bee has no diseases.

Law book is the most important bee disease book in the UK.

Last edited:
Hi all,

, I've noticed that managing diseases is something which tends to illicit very strong emotions, moral judgements and opinions from people eg. wistfulness about times when beekeepers didn't have to medicate their bees,

and anger at other beekeepers for going 'treatment-free' for various reasons, and spreading diseases to other people's colonies.

My question is about how delicately I need to treat this topic. Research participants will be fully informed about the research before they agree to take part, I won't be just accosting them on the street to bombard them with questions, but I'd like to know whether managing honeybee diseases is a touchy subject. Are people likely to get offended if I ask them about their disease treatment practices, whether they've ever lost hives to diseases, what they think about honeybee care practices in general?

I wonder, what you are going to achieve with your research. What do you do with beekerpers' opinions?
What is the value of those opinions?

There are quite much bee universities in the world which reseach diseased and generate ways to heal diseases.

When I started beekeeping 60 years ago, I did not know bee diseases much. But I can say later, that I had lots of different diseases in my hives.

Lots of diseases were known in the world and they can be identified. AFB resistant bees were breeded, but they did not succeeded well, not even now.

Nosema resistant bees are known. At least Denmark says so. European foulbrood resistant breeds and chalkbrood resistat breeds are known, but it depends, do people believe, that those exist.
There are for example a huge COLOSS project, which work with bee diseases.
6 university consortium in USA MAAREC has have done good work.

Japan bee professor described varroa treatment with oxalic acid vaporazing in 1964, buy it took teally long time begote Europa learned to know the method. It took 20 years when Canada and USA accepted oxalic acid trickling as legal mite treament.
Therr are many medicines which are accepted in USA but not in Europe.

I wonder, why to mix ordinary beekeepers' opinions into this issue. What does it help?

Last edited:
I wonder, what you are going to achieve with your research. What do you do with beekerpers' opinions?
What is the value of those opinions?

Hi Finman, thanks for all this information, that's so helpful. As for your question, I'm a human geography student, which is the side of Geography interested in human beings and how they interact with the world around them. It's true, if I was just researching scientific information about bee diseases and treatments, then people's opinions wouldn't be so important, but as a social scientist, I'm interested in how particular groups of people build relationships with non-human species, so to me, beekeeper's personal perspectives are very important. Hope that answers your question!

You have not stated the purpose of your research. Is it simply to generate another paper, or do you plan a more practical outcome? I believe most Beeks would have more sympathy with the latter. You will find that treatment is often a mixture of chemistry, tradition and folk remedies. Have a look at chalkbrood treatment for example.

You say you won't be accosting them on the street, but not how your participants will be selected and contacted. Will you be conducting personal interviews, devising a questionnaire, or? How and where do you plan to interview them? Meet me at a pub and buy me a pint, and I'll happily contribute. I think most Beeks would talk freely without peer pressure and with anonymity.

You say "I'm interested in how particular groups of people build relationships with non-human species". Is that your prime focus? You will find wide variation of general approach with some nervous not venturing to their hives without climbing into a totally sting-proof suit and gloves, whilst others are literally more hands-on donning just a veil. Ask someone whether they believe that wasps are aggressive, and if so, why, and repeat for bees.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm a postgraduate researcher in human geography and will be doing some ethnographic fieldwork with urban beekeepers this summer. I'm particularly interested in how urban beekeepers manage the various diseases which affect their hives, their perspectives on different treatment practices, their views on others who might care for their hives in different ways etc. I'm interested in this theme because, during my limited beekeeping experience, I've noticed that managing diseases is something which tends to illicit very strong emotions, moral judgements and opinions from people eg. wistfulness about times when beekeepers didn't have to medicate their bees, and anger at other beekeepers for going 'treatment-free' for various reasons, and spreading diseases to other people's colonies.

My question is about how delicately I need to treat this topic. Research participants will be fully informed about the research before they agree to take part, I won't be just accosting them on the street to bombard them with questions, but I'd like to know whether managing honeybee diseases is a touchy subject. Are people likely to get offended if I ask them about their disease treatment practices, whether they've ever lost hives to diseases, what they think about honeybee care practices in general? Are they likely to think I'm accusing them of something, or trying to sniff out if they've ever done anything other beekeepers might consider irresponsible? Is this is a topic I should tread on eggshells around, or would it probably be fine to ask questions more directly?

Before diving in do some research on your beekeepers!!! Lots are new with plenty of theories many have there own slant/agenda. Some even are totally bonkers. I would suggest contacting the BFA and ask for recommendations and meeting any they could recommend or willing. Nothing wrong with then contacting a local associations. At least you will have a comparison. Ian

Hi all,

Unfortunately, I think your research may be founded on shaky principles: As has already been said:

1. There are few bee diseases that can be 'treated' with anything medicinal in the UK.

2. The 'minor' bee diseases are usually not treated as such - they are diseases of the brood and if they persist then changing the queen in the colony is the normal practice.

3. The serious bee diseases - the two Foul Broods (AFB and EFB) are not able to be treated with medicines in the UK and require, most of the time, the colony to be destroyed and the frames and comb burnt and the retained equipment sterilised.

I don't think any beekeepers would knowingly avoid dealing with the above.

The Parasite - Varroa - is the scourge of UK beekeepers - but you are not talking about treating the bees for the diseases that they vector (Deformed Wing Virus for instance) you are talking about how the colonies are treated (or not treated) to eradicate or at least reduce the level of infestation of the varroa mites.

There is a conflict (to some extent) between those beekeepers who treat their colonies for varroa (and there are a wide range of treatments available) and those who choose not to treat. But, thereagain, there is a difference between choosing not to treat your bees for varroa whilst still maintaing a responsible attitude to colony health and management of the levels of infestation and simply not bothering to treat.

The major conflct in beekeeping does not come between beekeepers who are responsible, maintain their colonies with due diligence and an understanding of the health and situation of their colonies - the conflict comes between the above responsible beekeepers and people who get a hive of bees and think they can just let the bees get on with it with no cognisance of their health or propensity to swarm. They are sometimes referred to a Bee-havers rather than Beekeepers.

So ... you may have some difficulty with what appears to be your basic premise about the interaction between beekeepers about the treatment of 'disease' - because there really is very little that can be treated in the UK and there's certainly very little, if any, disagreement between 'real' beekeepers.

You have not stated the purpose of your research. Is it simply to generate another paper, or do you plan a more practical outcome? I believe most Beeks would have more sympathy with the latter. You will find that treatment is often a mixture of chemistry, tradition and folk remedies. Have a look at chalkbrood treatment for example.

You say you won't be accosting them on the street, but not how your participants will be selected and contacted. Will you be conducting personal interviews, devising a questionnaire, or? How and where do you plan to interview them? Meet me at a pub and buy me a pint, and I'll happily contribute. I think most Beeks would talk freely without peer pressure and with anonymity.

You say "I'm interested in how particular groups of people build relationships with non-human species". Is that your prime focus? You will find wide variation of general approach with some nervous not venturing to their hives without climbing into a totally sting-proof suit and gloves, whilst others are literally more hands-on donning just a veil. Ask someone whether they believe that wasps are aggressive, and if so, why, and repeat for bees.

Hi, thanks for your comment. I didn't see the need to include lots of details about the research in my original post because I am not looking for participants through this forum. As I said, I was just seeking advice about how to handle a topic which I thought may be sensitive, as I am still designing the research. A 'wide variation of general approaches' to how people practice beekeeping is exactly what I am interested in - I'm not expecting to encounter a completely homogenous group of people. These are all very good points you've made, and are all things I will bear in mind as the research progresses.

One disease is not serious in most of the world except in the UK. European foulbrood is easy to get off from hives by changing the queen, which is EFB tolerant. And it is easy. But if that disease is typical to the Black Bee, then it might be difficult.

I mean, it is very difficult to geogaphy student to understand these things without vast experience.

To connect bee diseases and social humans, that might be difficult. How to connet these to real facts what you can measure. And what will be the advantage of such information.

Last edited:
Hi Finman, thanks for all this information, that's so helpful. As for your question, I'm a human geography student, which is the side of Geography interested in human beings and how they interact with the world around them. It's true, if I was just researching scientific information about bee diseases and treatments, then people's opinions wouldn't be so important, but as a social scientist, I'm interested in how particular groups of people build relationships with non-human species, so to me, beekeeper's personal perspectives are very important. Hope that answers your question!
You should also bear in mind that Finman practices beekeeping in Finland and there are some geographic differences in beekeeping.....

how to handle a topic which I thought may be sensitive, as I am still designing the research.

How bee diseases can be sensitive? At least they cannot depend on feelings.

When I read MAAREC's disease advices, I cannot see any " senstive things" in those writings.

But like "varroa tolerant" bees, the debates include religious features. Like that tiny forest in the USA and its 30 feral colonies. It is like Jerusalem to the beekeepers.

Unfortunately, I think your research may be founded on shaky principles: As has already been said:

1. There are few bee diseases that can be 'treated' with anything medicinal in the UK.

2. The 'minor' bee diseases are usually not treated as such - they are diseases of the brood and if they persist then changing the queen in the colony is the normal practice.

3. The serious bee diseases - the two Foul Broods (AFB and EFB) are not able to be treated with medicines in the UK and require, most of the time, the colony to be destroyed and the frames and comb burnt and the retained equipment sterilised.

I don't think any beekeepers would knowingly avoid dealing with the above.

The Parasite - Varroa - is the scourge of UK beekeepers - but you are not talking about treating the bees for the diseases that they vector (Deformed Wing Virus for instance) you are talking about how the colonies are treated (or not treated) to eradicate or at least reduce the level of infestation of the varroa mites.

There is a conflict (to some extent) between those beekeepers who treat their colonies for varroa (and there are a wide range of treatments available) and those who choose not to treat. But, thereagain, there is a difference between choosing not to treat your bees for varroa whilst still maintaing a responsible attitude to colony health and management of the levels of infestation and simply not bothering to treat.

The major conflct in beekeeping does not come between beekeepers who are responsible, maintain their colonies with due diligence and an understanding of the health and situation of their colonies - the conflict comes between the above responsible beekeepers and people who get a hive of bees and think they can just let the bees get on with it with no cognisance of their health or propensity to swarm. They are sometimes referred to a Bee-havers rather than Beekeepers.

So ... you may have some difficulty with what appears to be your basic premise about the interaction between beekeepers about the treatment of 'disease' - because there really is very little that can be treated in the UK and there's certainly very little, if any, disagreement between 'real' beekeepers.

Hi, thanks so much for all this, this is really valuable in helping me to get a better picture of the scene. I will certainly do more research about this topic, and the shape of the project is likely to evolve as time passes.

Hi, thanks so much for all this, this is really valuable in helping me to get a better picture of the scene. I will certainly do more research about this topic, and the shape of the project is likely to evolve as time passes.

How on earth are you going to calculate your minimum sample size or account for the significant number of variables which may confound your results? You'll need to come up with some fairly specific hypotheses and also need to relate it to practical outcomes. Just collating a bunch of diverse opinions will only tell you there are lots of opinions, not how the beekeepers relate to the world around them or which are more or less correct.

It might be more logical to look at a single condition e.g. Varroa rather than 'disease' and which treatments have been demonstrated to be effective against it (regardless of licensing), then survey beekeeper's attitudes to Varroa, to the treatment options, to the law on medicines and then try to draw conclusions. However, you've got to think about whether you're going to find something which is actually useful to the world or if you're just doing research for the sake of it/to tick a box/justify having a research grant. Too much research falls into the latter three IMHO.

Latest posts

Back