Pseudo scorpion Vs Varroa destructor

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I'm sorry, does evolution escape you Finman?

I have studied evolution 5 years in university, and I understand what it means. Evolution does not escape anywhere.

Evolution means in English language slow development. It does not mean quick flash in someone's brains.
And I have seen that your idea on beekeeping forums about 579 times.

Last edited:
Vain job. Bees do not allow them walk on their combs. If somebody walk there, it is a pest.

I have net some in garden compost. There is one small species, which live inside old books. I have seen couple of them.

If you see those scorpions in a beehive, I bet that the hive is dead.

Well if they throw them out of the hive my curiosity will be solved. Maybe they might start interbreeding with the bees and a new hybrid flying bee scorpion will be the result.

Well if they throw them out of the hive my curiosity will be solved. Maybe they might start interbreeding with the bees and a new hybrid flying bee scorpion will be the result.

That they will do. First GMO case in British beekeeping. Carbage gathering bee on your backyard. What a **** heap !

Finman. With highest respect to your beekeeping experience and your university education, would you not agree that the progress of a balanced relationship between our bees and varroa is only delayed or skewed by the intervention of chemicals? Yes or no?

Finman. With highest respect to your beekeeping experience and your university education, would you not agree that the progress of a balanced relationship between our bees and varroa is only delayed or skewed by the intervention of chemicals? Yes or no?

Question is nonsense. Really stupid.

Your just wait that rats and humans are in balanced relationship.

And if you know something about biology, nature is never in balance.

Listen to farmers. They crops are never in balance. It is allways too few or too much, but never proper.

That they will do. First GMO case in British beekeeping. Carbage gathering bee on your backyard. What a **** heap !

FYI we here in the Republic of Ireland are not British and neither are half of the population in the British occupied part of this island.

I'll take that as a "don't know" then

FYI we here in the Republic of Ireland are not British and neither are half of the population in the British occupied part of this island.

Sorry. I forgot that that Irish have come from Bascue land from Recent Spain and wifes have been robbed from Iceland.

Sorry. I forgot that that Irish have come from Bascue land from Recent Spain and wifes have been robbed from Iceland.

?.... The island has a history of the oldest astronomically aligned building in the world (Brú na Bóinne) far predates the pyramids, along with the oldest known farming system in the world (Céide Fields).

Last edited:
What I have done that I am punished this way?

Don't take it to heart... Spring is on the way and we can all get back to best hole size for queen excluders arguments... and of course why did my yellow bees perish and all the native blacks survive!!!:icon_204-2:!
Nos da

Evolution takes about a million years for change to take a permanent hold. ...

So I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for either the mite or the bee to fix this.

Well ... that's true in some species but there is some evidence that rapidly reproducing insects can change in relatively modest amounts of time - when you consider the reproductive rate of both bees and mites there is every chance that one or both will evolve ...

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_45
Some insects and other organisms do 'evolve' rapidly, they do it if there is an urgent need. Take the example of these butterflies, that have changed colour from brown to purple within six generations (a year) http://voices.nationalgeographic.co...butterflies-insects-colors-evolution-science/ How many generations of mites are there in a single year?

We've already seen varroa develop an inherited resistance to pyrethroids, and we know that this resistance can be lost if they are no longer exposed to these chemicals - which is why we are advised not to use some acaricides year after year, but to rotate the products so the mites don't resurrect the resistance.

There's also the extended study of bees in Avignon and Gotland, which makes interesting reading. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3402190/

You can buy Stratiolaelaps scimitus from places that sell 'natural predators', but the main problem with them is that they are soil-dwellers and if they drop out of the hive they're unlikely to find their way back. Some of the natural beekeepers have tried using deep litter floors, but I don't know how successful they've been.

You can buy Stratiolaelaps scimitus from places that sell 'natural predators', but the main problem with them is that they are soil-dwellers and if they drop out of the hive they're unlikely to find their way back. Some of the natural beekeepers have tried using deep litter floors, but I don't know how successful they've been.

Not a great deal of evidence that they are a massive help ... there's quite a few with Phil Chandlers deep litter floor - indeed, I considered it for my Long Hive (the drawer was built initially with that in mind) but the problem is that there is no evidence that these little beasties are hunters - more scavengers - so the likelihood is that they will certainly mop up any mites that drop down but I'm not sure they will actually go searching for them.

The other thing is that as they are dwellers in the litter on forest floors they quite like the dampish (or at least moist) composty conditions and I'm not sure that you could safely replicate that at the bottom of a hive. If it dries out then the Stratiolaelaps will either push off or die out ..

Even by my non-chemical treatment regime I think they may be a dud bullet ..

Don't you think that one day evolution generates a queen which goes through the excluder. That is worse enemy of bees than varroa.

If somebody bothers to look researches about Africanized bees and varroa in America, you see the course of evolution. Bee colonies have more or less mite loads, and sometimes huge loads. There are no Walt Disney stories in it. No Maia the bee who generates campaign against the eilian called Varroa.

A domestic animal, which is loaded with pests, is not productive.
. There is not either a habit to keep sick animals as petty.

On Jesus' birth time 2000 y ago there was a religious gang in Palestina, who thought that society is too technical. People should return to nature. They are trying it now.

That is worse enemy of bees than varroa.

Wrong priority, i think, Finsky. That would be only from the point of view of the beekeeper. Some of us rarely use excluders, anyway, and some don't use them at all.

Wrong priority, i think,.

Don't blame me. I do not use excluder.
Many of forum beekeepers use excluder but do not extract their yield. Then they feed hives with honey over winter. Quite complex system.

When I started beekeeping, I set very early my goal. I want to be a good beekeeper. How to measure what is good? With balance, how many kilos I can get from hives.

First yield what I extracted was 7 kg

Then I had 8 hives. One was Caucasian. Caucasian got 50 kg. Others 7 Black bee colonies got nothing. They only tried to swarm

With Caucasian I got average yield 40 kg/hive.
Then I got Italian bees, which brought the same.

40 years ago I got Italian queen from a very advanced beekeeper, and average yield rised to 60 kg.

25 ago I realized that good yield come from pastures. Not from hives. After that my yields rised to about 80 kg.

Selecting good pastures is a challenge.
But still, selecting good bee strains is every year challenge too.

So it has been 50 years: selected queens and selecting pastures

And now I get advices: Let it be. Do nothing. Let evolution care problems. And I should be same opinion.

I have been is school and in university all together 20 years. And now I should forget all what I have learned during my life, and follow some "horizon painters group".

Jesus said: "Sell your all property and follow me...." Oh dear.

I have 2 degrees in chemistry.

And now a new goal: to breed mites! WOW

Last edited:
What I say above. Red line in my beekeeping has always been selecting queens.

Half way my route I noticed that selecting pastures is more important. Very few beekeeper understand that even I tell it.

During my Varroa Era I have been able to rise my hive yields. And reason has been active work, not do nothing method.

As I said, it is easier to nurse varroa than Black bees.

Thanks to varroa. It has raised my honey yields when it killed Black bee from Finland.
Evolution handled the problem in 2 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back